News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

In the end Dodge won - forced into being a Charger Hypocrite

Started by Crazy Larry, October 02, 2008, 12:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy Larry

for the past few years, I had bashed the new Charger up and down. i was angry at Dodge for the look of it and how they basically took the Intrepid, and slapped the Charger name on it. I loved the intrepid and I heard the new "Charger" was a good drive, but the principle of the entire ordeal just made me turn away from Dodge.

As an owner/enthusiast of a 1968 Dodge Charger - this was a serious topic for me.

Then I started my new career as a high-power lineman - which calls for me to travel all over NY state in all seasons to report to work. After driving a police interceptor Crown vic for a few years, and with an upcoming winter season - I could not survive with a rear-wheel drive vehicle.

I drive between 600 to 1,000 miles a week and I also needed decent gas mileage in a vehicle - the crown vic was running me $100 to $200 dollars a week.

I ruled out any pick-up trucks (a classic fave for linemen) because of the gas, price, and i still need something that I can drive the ladies around in.

I needed an American full-sized four-door sedan, with all-wheel drive, good gas mileage, big trunk space for my tools and climbing equipment, and style....

....enter the Dodge Charger AWD SXT.......

...I bought it.....

....and so now I am a shameful convert. i have to admit I was wrong about this car. it may have a cat-fish front end, and not bring justice to the Charger name, but it is a dream to drive, it has cut my gas bills in half, and handles the road like a BMW. It has a style and look - especially at night, that has folks staring. I can't be any more impressed with a car.

I thought by getting the all black grille/body - the style would jump out even more, and it surely does.

I wanted to create this thread to say that I am a "Charger" hypocrite, in the end, Dodge won and I missed my intrepid so much, I purchased one for the reasons stated above. i can't bad mouth this vehicle anymore. It is a great Intrepid-Charger, and it delivers everything I need in a vehicle.

I have to say "Bravo" to Dodge. no more cat fish jokes from me.

;)

69charger2002

i bashed on the car at first too. and while i did break down and get one for the wife, because she didn't want a new 2 door challenger, i still think the car is ugly.. and does not ride all that great.. she likes it and that's all that matters, i still won't be caught dead in it.. we're getting 21 mpg city/highway mixed, which is decent i guess..

i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

41husk

Should have gooten the 09 Challenger :Twocents: 6 cylinder would give you great milage and you would not have had to sucumb to dodge.  I always liked the look of the new Charger.  I just always felt it should have been named a fury or imperial some namesake that came in a four door model.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

moparstuart

Quote from: 41husk on October 02, 2008, 12:46:38 PM
Should have gooten the 09 Challenger :Twocents: 6 cylinder would give you great milage and you would not have had to sucumb to dodge.  I always liked the look of the new Charger.  I just always felt it should have been named a fury or imperial some namesake that came in a four door model.
4dr coronet !!   then the super bee model would still work also .
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Joshua

Crazy Larry

Quote from: 41husk on October 02, 2008, 12:46:38 PM

The four doors make it easy to load bags of clothes, laptop, etc. and the car has a ton more room inside than the Challenger - which is more of a sports car.

Yes, a fury or hell, even Intrepid would do just fine.

wonder if I can score an Intrepid logo somewhere?  :icon_smile_big:

TK73

Rented one for a weekend, don't ever want to drive one again...

I was "test driving" a few cars prior to buying a few months back.  The Mustang ABSOLUTELY blew the new Coronet away on fit/finish, comfort, drivability...
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

Crazy Larry

Quote from: TK73 on October 02, 2008, 01:42:25 PM

I was "test driving" a few cars prior to buying a few months back.  The Mustang ABSOLUTELY blew the new Coronet away on fit/finish, comfort, drivability...

but in the snow - that rear-wheel drive is a bit tough to get around in.

The AWD is pretty nice. Mustang didn't have that.

41husk

I don't know, I like the look of the mustang, but I have been brand loyal to long to ever buy one :cheers:
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

472 R/T SE

Congrats!  No sense in brow beatin' ya', you said it all in your post.

My wife wants a Chally but our next new rig will be an SRT in purple if they still offer that color for it.  Not enough room in the Chally for my chair & the family in the back, the 4 doors make it so much easier.

Dodge knew exactly what they were doing by resurrecting the Charger name, any other name wouldn't have sold.  :cheers:

Khyron

I bought a Grand Prix.  :laugh:

When Dodge makes something I like, then i'll go back to Chrysler.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Ghoste

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on October 02, 2008, 02:48:33 PM
Dodge knew exactly what they were doing by resurrecting the Charger name, any other name wouldn't have sold.  :cheers:

I don't know that I agree Mike.  I'm not bashing the new car either, I'm only saying that I think the name hasn't been the big selling feature of the car.

WingCharger

I like the Charger and the new Challenger. I would take both, but hey, a 14 year old doesnt need 4 doors. :D

Ghoste

You may change your mind when you start hauling all your friends around to go girl hunting.  Or not.

WingCharger

Quote from: Ghoste on October 02, 2008, 05:37:47 PM
You may change your mind when you start hauling all your friends around to go girl hunting.  Or not.

I sense the "or not."

I have the truck bed for that. :nana: Challenger would be for racing. Legal track only of course. ;)

Mike DC

All-wheel drive in that thing? 

How did they rig that setup to work, anyway? 

The standard Chagnum has a conventional longitudinally-mounted RWD drivetrain layout.  I would have assumed that there was not enough room to squeeze in an entire central transfer case & FWD drivetrain too. 

Most of the "All wheel drive" cars that I've ever seen are made on what is basically a FWD chassis layout, and the RWD section is a wedged-in afterthought.

Mopar2Ya

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 02, 2008, 05:55:28 PM
All-wheel drive in that thing? 

How did they rig that setup to work, anyway? 

The standard Chagnum has a conventional longitudinally-mounted RWD drivetrain layout.  I would have assumed that there was not enough room to squeeze in an entire central transfer case & FWD drivetrain too. 

Most of the "All wheel drive" cars that I've ever seen are made on what is basically a FWD chassis layout, and the RWD section is a wedged-in afterthought.

Remember the LX's are based off the Mercedes E Class, which Mercedes makes several RWD/AWD called 4Matic IIRC. Or it's just a long rubber band?  ;)

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

Just 6T9 CHGR

Oh boy....here we go again! ;)

Say what you will...I still like my orange beast!
Good luck with the new car!

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Kevin68N71

It's funny, sometimes some of the things you hate end up become things you love when you get close to them.

When I was a kid, I absolutely hated, with a passion, anything Corvair.  The vans, the cars, anything.  That stupid little engine in the back.  The headlights with those bezels.  In high school, however, we had a non-running old two door coupe that we got running and would take it for joyrides.  I was amazed how fun that little car was with the rear engine whirring in the back.  The blue vinyl interior was perfect and it ran like a top once we tuned it.  I learned how to use a clutch in that car.

Flash forward to now, I absolutely love my '61 Rampside.  What a cool vehicle.  What a fine, tiny little 80 hp engine that somehow has enough guts to get the thing down the road.  An 8 foot cargo bed, a fold down ramp.  Talk about fun and functional.

And an old Corsa turbo does not look so bad anymore either!

There is nothing wrong with the new Chargers.  Yes, I would have preferred a more retro look, and maybe making this one the Coronet.  But they sell alot of them, and they go pretty good.

Sometimes you gotta be IN the forest to appreciate all the trees.
Do I have the last, operational Popcar Spacemobile?

TK73

Quote from: Crazy Larry on October 02, 2008, 01:56:25 PM
Quote from: TK73 on October 02, 2008, 01:42:25 PM

but in the snow - that rear-wheel drive is a bit tough to get around in.

The AWD is pretty nice. Mustang didn't have that.

True... I still have my 4x4 Pathfinder for any nasty weather here, fortunately Seattle doesn't get much snow...
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

bull

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on October 02, 2008, 02:48:33 PM

Correct, they were/are kissing a$$... and some people like lip prints on their butts and are willing to pay $400+ a month for them.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: bull on October 02, 2008, 10:51:22 PM

Correct, they were/are kissing a$$... and some people like lip prints on their butts and are willing to pay $400+ a month for them.

Damn Curtis, you're slipping bro!  It took you over 10 hours to put your -.02 in on a thread that has to do with a new Charger.  You know we all love when you spread your hate around :rotz:

PS---I prefer to get lip prints received elsewhere and I dont have to pay $400+ a month to get them either :nana:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

41husk

nice looking car, I understand the four door thing, but I bet the trunk room is the same or better than the Charger.  It is on the same chasey
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

71 Bee Man

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on October 02, 2008, 06:19:10 PM
Oh boy....here we go again! ;)

Say what you will...I still like my orange beast!
Good luck with the new car!

I had a new Charger as a hire car when I visitied the States for a few weeks. I thought it was fantastic. :2thumbs:

Peter
Sydney, Australia.
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

G-man

drives well  :2thumbs:

Still looks retarded  :eek2: and still aint a charger.  :slap: