News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wanted: '70 Charger/Daytona Fender/hood/Nose/Bumper Gasket metal thingies

Started by Daytona R/T SE, October 01, 2008, 05:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona R/T SE

I need the metal gasket retainers that hold the rubber gaskets to the front of the '69 Daytona/70 Charger fenders and the long one that holds the gasket to the top of the nosecone/ bumper where it meets the hood...Am I making any sense :shruggy:

I'm not sure I've ever even seen these parts off of the car so I'm not sure what they even look like. ::)

The '70 500 SE that I desecrated for it's front clip was missing it's bumper and it's fender rubbers when I got it. So I'm pretty much lost on this one  :shruggy:

pettybird

the one for the hood/nose is just a crappy strip of metal.  check out the Dressler Motors Daytona pics and there's a pic of the rubber lifted up--

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hemigeno

Here's a couple of pictures from my car/parts (that I haven't had the time to post on my own restoration thread yet  :slap: ).  The first shows the hood/nosecone seal reinforcement strip.  Nothing terribly special.  The second is a picture of the backside of a fender seal.  Sorta the same type of strip, and should be a snap for a crackerjack fab man like you to reproduce.

I took all of my junker/extra '70 Charger fender and hood seals to Vance's place for him to experiment with, so there are none around here for me to measure up - otherwise I'd give you the exact layout.

BigBlockSam

which way does the fender to nose gaskets go ? does the flat side go towards the fender or nose?   :shruggy:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

hemigeno

The metal backing piece fastens to the fender - at least for the L-shaped pieces, that is.  The long/straight hood seal fastens to the nosecone.  Some Daytonas used screws, and some cars' hood/nosecone seal was poprivited in place.  Mine used the poprivets, so that's what we're going back with.

I actually have some pictures of the "L" shaped seals attached to my fenders that I took the last time I was up at Vance's.  One of these days I'll get caught up and post them on the resto thread.  Ain't gonna be tonight though, as I have to cut grass...

Hope this helps!

BigBlockSam

Daytona R/T SE

Thanks, Geno! I'm sure I can make something that will work, and your pics give me an idea on how to go about it. I was kinda hoping to lay my hands on some originals, so maybe I could just clean something up and install it for a change...

Thanks again !  :cheers:

moparstuart

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on October 02, 2008, 11:14:50 PM
Thanks, Geno! I'm sure I can make something that will work, and your pics give me an idea on how to go about it. I was kinda hoping to lay my hands on some originals, so maybe I could just clean something up and install it for a change...

that would be way to easy ,  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:   this is a daytona remember   :smilielol:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: moparstuart on October 03, 2008, 08:13:31 AM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on October 02, 2008, 11:14:50 PM

that would be way to easy ,  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:   this is a daytona remember   :smilielol:

A guy can dream, can't he ? :shruggy: ;)

daytonalo

What you need came on every 70 charger ever made , are they all gone ?

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: daytonalo on October 03, 2008, 07:52:37 PM
What you need came on every 70 charger ever made , are they all gone ?

Yes, Larry. They're all gone.

The '70 I bought for it's fenders and hood was missing the front bumper/grille and the fender rubbers when I got it...

daytonalo

I'm sure some Camel head around here has several laying around ! Wen I can just use an orig part I feel like I hit the Lottery , making shit gets old !

Larry

BigBlockSam

BigBlockSam

BigBlockSam

i'm having the hardest time with the fender gaskets . i just don't like how they look when i install them . we're trying to figure something out  , Rene

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: BigBlockSam on October 04, 2008, 02:43:52 PM
i'm having the hardest time with the fender gaskets . i just don't like how they look when i install them . we're trying to figure something out  , Rene

Yep, same here. That's why I'm experimenting with get this-MAKING MY OWN- ::)  But I need the steel thingies to pull this off...guess I'll be making those too  :brickwall:

BigBlockSam

daytonalo made his own and they look good. smoothier the the originals . but they look  cool . he gave me some  of the material he made it out of . if i can't get the orig to look good i might make my own too .
the fender to nose gaskets  can make a great car look wrong .  :popcrn:

daytonalo

GeneralLeeTESH

The TESH

daytonalo

Black closed cell foam with a Latex skin on the outside , I think it looks much better than the orig .

Larry

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: daytonalo on October 06, 2008, 06:48:32 PM
Black closed cell foam with a Latex skin on the outside , I think it looks much better than the orig .

Larry

Really? Larry, I thought you had filled the seam with black RTV and smoothed it over with a wet finger :nana: :smilielol:

moparstuart

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on October 06, 2008, 10:54:51 PM
Quote from: daytonalo on October 06, 2008, 06:48:32 PM

Larry

Really? Larry, I thought you had filled the seam with black RTV and smoothed it over with a wet finger :nana: :smilielol:
he prefers black latex !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE