News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I am at the Frustrated Point with my 68 Project... vs the '69 500

Started by PocketThunder, October 26, 2005, 10:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chargerguy74

Quote from: Todd Wilson on October 26, 2005, 11:16:30 AM
Stay on target and finish the 68. Then go to the 69 500. While the 500 is worth more you probably are not going to drive it as much. In the end you will have a 318 68 that can be driven and the 500 on special occasions. The 500 isnt loosing any value the way it sits.

Todd

:iagree:
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

Blakcharger440

Quote from: F8 69 CHARGER PUNK on October 26, 2005, 01:59:57 PM
i say flog off the 68 its only a 318 car not woth squat the 500 on the other hand is big $$$ if it were my choice id go ahead and make the 500 into fully restore daytona replica but again hats just me and u could change it back if u wanted 2 l8r-MATT

Well,....That is one of the more ridiculous posts that I have seen. The 68 318 car is not worth squat??? The second gen chargers started in 68! I dont have a 68,but I own a 70RT Charger but still would not call the 68 squat car!  ::)

Troy

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on October 27, 2005, 06:28:15 AM
Quote from: F8 69 CHARGER PUNK on October 26, 2005, 01:59:57 PM
i say flog off the 68 its only a 318 car not woth squat the 500 on the other hand is big $$$ if it were my choice id go ahead and make the 500 into fully restore daytona replica but again hats just me and u could change it back if u wanted 2 l8r-MATT

Well,....That is one of the more ridiculous posts that I have seen. The 68 318 car is not worth squat??? The second gen chargers started in 68! I dont have a 68,but I own a 70RT Charger but still would not call the 68 squat car! ::)

He's 15 (or 16) and doesn't even own a car. If 318 cars were so cheap then everyone who's looking for a Charger would have no problem finding one. Most people with any sense already know that though which is why that post went ignored for so long. :D

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

suburbanfireman

Just an idea - take the 68 and do whatever is needed for bodywork and spray it with black primer-sealer yourself.  Make sure it is safe mechanically, but go for the "rat rod" look.  Then you can just drive it and enjoy it while you take as long as you need to restore the 500.  After you get the 500 done, you can decide what you want to do with the 68.  You could fix it up with your son (I helped my Dad restore a 78 camaro when I was 12 yrs old), or sell it to put towards his college fund.  You never know, he might decide to be a fireman - I did not need college and I make more than my sister does (she has a masters degree + loans out the wazoo).  Just my opinion. - Tim
Tim "The Toolman" Taylor: "I think I might be addicted to cars."

Jill Taylor: "Well, DUH!"

Tim "The Toolman" Taylor: "I'm thinking about checking myself into the Henry Ford Clinic!"

PocketThunder

Thanks for all the replies.  After a day to think about it and a night to sleep on it.  I'm keeping the 68.  Both cars are paid for and i have a little slush fund for playing with the cars.  So money is not a problem.  I do have a college savings plan already set up for my son.  So the cars are not a burden on me, only that they sit and go nowhere lately.

I think i will finish the mud work on the 68 and get a macco paint job.  Then drop the drive train back in and have a driver for a couple years.  I will not sell the 500, because i sold my "first car" to buy the 500.  And i'll never find another 500 that i can afford. 

Yes i do have the "gotta have a car for next summer" crisis on my mind right now.  So the Chargers are going on the back burner and i'm going to get my house projects done.  (if thats ever possible)  Then i'll get back to the 68.

thanks

Paul
in St. Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

hemi68charger

Paul...
Man, I'm with ya.. I know what you mean....... The reason I sold the '71 was the fact I wasn't going to enjoy it as much as someone else and I wanted to be able to finish my '68... Man, it's a tough problem.. If you don't need the money and storage isn't an issue, I would stash the '68 and start on the C500...... I mean, that's what you really like.. If the money is something and you don't have too much of a sentimental value on the '68, turn it and put the dinero into the C500... Don't let time slip away and you never are able to enjoy the thing.. If it wasn't for the fact I have some rare Chargers, I'd turn them loose to finish up the '68.....

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Old Moparz

Quote from: PocketThunder on October 27, 2005, 09:12:08 AM
Yes i do have the "gotta have a car for next summer" crisis on my mind right now.

Don't worry, I've had that same feeling every year, & every year it eventually goes away.   :D

Seriously though, you have to keep in mind that as your kid gets older, things get a little easier. When my daughter was born I assumed it would be simple & there would be lots of free time.   :smilielol:   I soon learned it was very different, but no big deal, they're only infants for a short time, they're only toddlers for a short time, & before you know it they're in school. She's 6 now & I can't believe it. There are new problems as they get older, but it still seems easier than taking care of a little one. Actually, taking care of the little ones are like taking care of drunks. They can't walk, they can't talk, they puke all over, & don't make any sense.

Hang in there & don't rush anything.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Old Moparz on October 27, 2005, 09:46:32 AM

Actually, taking care of the little ones are like taking care of drunks. They can't walk, they can't talk, they puke all over, & don't make any sense.

That's some funny s.... :smilielol: :lol:

69charger2002

paul, i think that's a wise decision. i think you should keep both as well. both paid for, you have a son now. so what? that shouldn't matter until finances become a PROBLEM. i have a 5 month old daughter now, that didn't mean i had to go start selling off chargers.. neither will ever go down in value, and like others said, the 69 can sit and wait it's turn, while you never lose a dime on it. finish the 68, even if maaco paint job, you will be able to hop in and drive it(which is what they were meant for) without fear of hurting the car(since it's a 318 car) and enjoy one. even if the 69 500 doesn't get started for 5-10 years. i also agree, you never know, that son may hate chargers with a passion(God help him), but then again, he may LOVE them. when he's 15.. hmm 2020.. how many chargers will be around in decent shape for the picking?? that 68 may need resto again by then, and he may be willing to help you do it all over again. how much fun would that be??
KEEP THE CARS!
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

General_01

1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

694spdRT

Quote from: AllBlueRT on October 27, 2005, 10:18:50 AM
Quote from: Old Moparz on October 27, 2005, 09:46:32 AM

Actually, taking care of the little ones are like taking care of drunks. They can't walk, they can't talk, they puke all over, & don't make any sense.

That's some funny s.... :smilielol: :lol:

Isn't that why you have kids in the first place...so when you can no longer walk, talk, or makes sense they can pick your nursing home for you.  :icon_smile_big:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

69_500

I say work on the 500 first but then I'm a bit biased. However if you do continue to work on the 68 and get frustrated and decide to part ways with the 500 let me know. I'd love to add another one to the garage.

PocketThunder

I called Maaco this moring and they are slow right now and he said he's got guys waiting for work to come in.  He said they do muscle cars all the time and have a 70 GS in the shop right now.  They did my neighbors old Land Rover a couple years ago and it still looks good.  So i just need to get it over there for and estimate.

And maybe i can drop in a 318 from a crashed Dakota pickup and save myself $2000 on and engine rebuild..

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

694spdRT

Are you planning to use the A500 or A518 automatic from the Dakota? That will require a little surgery to the floor tunnel and mounting changes.. Also, in 1996 the tranny went to computer controlled shifts so those are a little more complicated.

Sounds like a good idea using a Magnum engine though.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

blackcharger

Quote from: Blown70 on October 26, 2005, 10:14:57 AM
PT,

I would personally dump the $$ into the 500.   Now that being said I understand wanting to drive one too, I miss my charger and hate looking at the 70.   My question would be why not look at prep and pait the 68 your self, I think with the knowledge here on the board with Say CUDA ken   and Drop do it yourself.... I know paint would not be cheap but far less than $10,000   Heck if you want to travel about 100miles west on I-94   I know a shop that could do it a slight bit cheaper, maybe $5000

In fact I know a guy who does stuff on the side too.   Maybe even better.   He did most of the work on the car that   Charger4404spd has..... Trust me I won best paint with that at a local show.

after you put all the money into your 500, will you drive it and enjoy it? If not, sell it,have more than enough to fix the '68 and some leftover. OR, do the '68 yourself, and do the 500 as $ allows. Personally, I wouldn't and couldn't put the big bucks out for a paint job, no matter how nice it looks.Be too afraid to drive it. And I'd rather keep RIDING around in primer than not diving a shiney car.

Dave

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: PocketThunder on October 27, 2005, 09:45:54 PM
And maybe i can drop in a 318 from a crashed Dakota pickup and save myself $2000 on and engine rebuild..

I had a 318 B body and enjoyed the hell outta it!  Great gas mileage and could still break 'em loose!  :) 

PocketThunder

Quote from: blackcharger on October 28, 2005, 06:38:39 PM
after you put all the money into your 500, will you drive it and enjoy it?
Dave

Thats a good question.  Thats where the 68 will come on for driving to a show rain or shine.  The 500 will get driven on sunny days only!

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on October 29, 2005, 01:02:55 PM
Quote from: PocketThunder on October 27, 2005, 09:45:54 PM

I had a 318 B body and enjoyed the hell outta it!   Great gas mileage and could still break 'em loose!   :)  

I talked to my Dad yesterday who runs a mechanic shop back in my hometown.  He has a Ram Van with a 360 in it that i could have if i pull it out.  So it looks like my power plant is taken care of after a Saturday of work.   :yesnod: