News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Farewell... (new Cuda project)

Started by 471_Magnum, September 29, 2008, 10:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

471_Magnum

...to the GTX.

I've been debating for a few days whether or not to make the announcement, but I guess there is no reason to keep it a secret any longer.

As some of you know, I put my 71 GTX on the market shortly after getting it home. Don't want to get into the details, but the bottom line is I never was quite happy with it.

Meanwhile the market went soft and it went unsold for many months.

I finally came to terms with a buyer about two weeks ago, and tomorrow it will be heading to a dealer down in south Texas.

Turn the page on another chapter.

Several months ago, a friend made his half-finished 72 Cuda project available to me. At the time, the finances weren't available, so I had to pass on it. I had just put the GTX on the market.

Fast forward to last week and I ask if the car is still available now that I have sold my GTX. Sure enough, it is.

Right to the point, within the next week or so, I'll be dragging it home.

The pictures tell the tale. I'm still trying to absorb all the details myself. The package includes a boatload of parts; most everything needed to finish it.

As you can see, it has a six-point cage and reinforced lower radiator support. It also has the subframes tied. It will be a very tight car.

Suspension will be stock configuration. Nothing fancy.

Don't have any mechanical specs to report at this point. It comes with a ready to assemble 440, and a 4-speed set-up. That's all subject to change though. It will likely get a big block and certainly a manual transmission, but budget will determine where I go with it.

First order of business will be to get the suspension under it, but I've got to get some brakes before I can do that. Next I'll install the interior. Once all that is done I'll decide what to do for a motor.

Needless to say, I'm pretty excited. It will surely be a long project, as I'm determined to resist the temptation to whip out the platiinum card just to keep things moving along. This will strictly be pay as I go.

I'm now three Mopars removed from having owned a Charger, but the Charger-spin on the deal is that one of the reasons the Cuda is being sold is to free up time and money to devote to a '69 Charger RT/SE restoration.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

471_Magnum

Couple more pics of it mocked-up on the wheels and tires.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

TUFCAT

Looks like it will be a really neat car when done.  :cheers:

69charger2002

it's been kinda fun to follow along with your mopar stories.. kind of like a mini website.. is the roadrunner going to texastoybox? or lucasmopars??  :shruggy: good luck with your cuda, keep us updated
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

471_Magnum

Quote from: 69charger2002 on September 29, 2008, 10:27:49 PM
it's been kinda fun to follow along with your mopar stories.. kind of like a mini website.. is the roadrunner going to texastoybox? or lucasmopars?? :shruggy: good luck with your cuda, keep us updated

The last 18 months have been rough. Not much fun at all in terms of Mopars. I gave serious thought to just walking away from it for a while.

GTX is going to Lucas... in fact it's already listed on the website.

The70RT

NICE. Looks like all the fun stuff is about to start  :2thumbs:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

FLG

Car looks sweet  :2thumbs:

Never down with the fancy rims and skinny tires but they work nicley here

Quick question, excuse the ignorance but what is accomplished by reinforcing the lower rad support?

Ghoste

Looks like it's time to cahnge your sig photo again.

1969chargerrtse

Wow, nice looking car there.  Should be a good amount of fun ahead of you.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Well Jim, I hope the title to your thread doesnt imply saying farewell to the site?  Just to the GTX right ;)

'Cuda loks like it will be a nice candidate for some XV stuff :drive:

PS---who has the 69 RT/SE?  The guy you bought the 'Cuda from?

Ahem---- www.1969chargerregistry.com  :wave:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69charger2002

Quote from: 471_Magnum on September 29, 2008, 10:32:45 PM
Quote from: 69charger2002 on September 29, 2008, 10:27:49 PM
it's been kinda fun to follow along with your mopar stories.. kind of like a mini website.. is the roadrunner going to texastoybox? or lucasmopars?? :shruggy: good luck with your cuda, keep us updated

The last 18 months have been rough. Not much fun at all in terms of Mopars. I gave serious thought to just walking away from it for a while.

GTX is going to Lucas... in fact it's already listed on the website.

well please don't think i meant it was fun to keep up with your misfortunes.. didn't mean it that way at all. just interesting is all. glad you're sticking it out, things will turn  :cheers:
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Troy

I saw that your ad on Moparts had changed to "Sold" and I wondered if we'd hear the story. I have a soft spot for the 72-74 Cudas so I definitely like the new car! Hopefully you'll be happier with it since you'll be there for most of the build.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

TheAutoArchaeologist

Sorry to hear that, I was hoping to see the GTX on the Tour this past summer.  Guess I'll have the 72 Cuda to see on the next one?

Good luck

471_Magnum

Quote from: 69charger2002 on September 30, 2008, 07:58:19 AMwell please don't think i meant it was fun to keep up with your misfortunes.. didn't mean it that way at all. just interesting is all. glad you're sticking it out, things will turn :cheers:

No offense taken. I've definitely had to laugh at my own misfortune to keep my sanity. When I cease to enjoy the challenges inherent to these cars, it's time to get out. I definitely came close this past year.

The major attraction of the Cuda is the fact I get to do all of the assembly and mechanical work myself. I don't have to trust anyone else to make it right. I'll have plenty of sweat equity in it, which will build a bond.

I still have interest in those cursed 71-71 B-body Plymouths. Someday I'd like to own another. If the right one should become available, I might have to find a way to drag it home.

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on September 30, 2008, 07:49:23 AM
Well Jim, I hope the title to your thread doesnt imply saying farewell to the site? Just to the GTX right ;)

I'll still be hanging out here. I still enjoy talking about Chargers even though I no longer have one in my garage. I've got plenty of ideas for this Cuda that I'll need to bounce of someone.

Quote from: Devil on September 30, 2008, 10:14:08 AMSorry to hear that, I was hoping to see the GTX on the Tour this past summer. Guess I'll have the 72 Cuda to see on the next one?
I intend to build the car as a multipurpose street/strip/tourer, much like the Charger. It will be at home on the track, or blasting down the interstate. Another Hot Rod Power Tour is definitely a goal, but 2009 probably won't be the year. There is just too much work in front of me, and the budget dictates I can not set an aggressive deadline.

ramit

Nice looking Cuda!   :2thumbs:

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Dans 68

Quote from: PocketThunder on September 30, 2008, 12:54:14 PM
Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on September 30, 2008, 12:45:33 PM
Speaking of Lucas Mopars...isn't this Paul (Pocket Thunder)'s old '68?

http://www.autorevolution.com/inv/vehicle.cfm?vid=308650&selid=712&refby=dealersite

:shruggy:

Yes sir.

s/b "Yes, young man"   :icon_smile_big:

I guess I should have bought it, right Paul?  :brickwall:  $34,500??? What was added to it besides wheels and tires?  :scratchchin:

Dan

EDIT: Oh, and nice Cuda by the way!  :cheers:
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Blown70

Quote from: FLG on September 29, 2008, 11:36:03 PM
Car looks sweet  :2thumbs:

Never down with the fancy rims and skinny tires but they work nicley here

Quick question, excuse the ignorance but what is accomplished by reinforcing the lower rad support?

Being the K-frame is close there  give some extra support to the suspension.  EXP with any sort of cornering. 

Charger_Fan

Well, I'm glad you told us the story, even though some of it bittersweet for you. The Cuda looks pretty cool, we'll enjoy seeing your progress. :yesnod:

BTW, I like that guy's garage. (I know, big shocker ::) ) ;D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

FLG

Thanks Blown,

Is something like this advisable for any mopar? (especially if the engine is going to be pushing out alot more HP and torque then stock)

TUFCAT

Blown70

Quote from: FLG on September 30, 2008, 03:22:37 PM
Thanks Blown,

Is something like this advisable for any mopar? (especially if the engine is going to be pushing out alot more HP and torque then stock)

Usually not as much of a concern for stright line.  More Pro-touring ie, chassis twist or torque,  I personally think it is a worthy upgrade for any car that will be driven any significant amount.

471_Magnum

That crossmember reinforcement is copied from the XV set-up.

The local chassis shop that installed this and the cage does some amazing work. The welds on the cage need to be seen to be appreciated. They also back-braced the 8.75.

I now feel obligated to build a motor fast enough to justify the rest of the package.

FLG

I say you build a stroker  :2thumbs:

4aThrill

Sweet lookin ride  :drool5:  so how big is your garage? got heated floors?

Ghoste

Heated floors?  It's like the semi-tropics where he lives.  :D

471_Magnum

Those pictures weren't taken in my garage. Mine is a bit more modest.

Quote from: FLG on September 30, 2008, 06:04:07 PM
I say you build a stroker :2thumbs:

That my friend, is an excellent topic for another thread.

TheAutoArchaeologist

Well then I hope to atleast see you there, in some sort of vehicle!

Ryan

firefighter3931

Nice straight car....excellent starting point. All the hard work is done (body & paint) and you just get to do the Fun Stuff  :icon_smile_big:

Not a fan of the oversized wheels but other than that it looks very sharp. The Rollbar & Frame ties will make a huge difference....you'll luv how tight the car feels and drives.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

bakerhillpins

Looks great to me!

I am not a big fan of oversized wheels in general either but I like the wheels in this setup. It is getting marginal on being too big though. I really hate when the rims get soooooo big that it requires the really low profile tires. Those are just hideous!  :eek2:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

471_Magnum

This car is going to have fairly big brakes... probably Cobra brakes from Dr Diff, 13s front and 11s rear... so the bigger wheels are necessary. Not going to get those brakes behind 15's.

I feel the same way about o-ring tires. Definitely have to have some sidewall. FWIW, those are 285 40 18s out back Wheels are Foose.

moparstuart

reminds me alot of this pro touring cuda  , just saw this car again at monster mopar a week ago !  It has a 6.1 hemi in it .
 TThe square steering wheel is very strange ?
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

471_Magnum

Interesting!

Mine will be a much lower budget version of that car.

moparstuart

It has modern headlights and a wild LED taillamp set up all across the rear of the cars roof . Was wild seeing it run around branson missouri at night .

here is the 6.1 and sorry for the blury rear shot but all i had !

TUFCAT

Wow. It totally looks like that car! ....very cool indeed.  :2thumbs: 

moparstuart

Quote from: TUFCAT on October 01, 2008, 03:45:54 PM
Wow. It totally looks like that car! ....very cool indeed.  :2thumbs: 
I like the lighter silver color on 471's car , but they are very similar projects.

471_Magnum

While working on cleaning out my garage in preparation for the new arrival, I had an idea pop into my head.

Rather than go with the 18" Foose wheels, I'm thinking maybe going with some MiniLite-style Vintage Wheel Works V48s. That would give the car a Trans Am theme:

As stated before, I'll be running 13" brakes, so 17" or bigger wheels are required. The V48s are available in 17's.

I think the car would have a more classic, less trendy appearance.

Thoughts?

The70RT

471_Magnum

Another factor worth noting is that the Foose wheels retail for about $750 each, the V48s are about $375. The 17" tires will run less than the 18s as well. That makes this a potential fund raising opportunity.

It's not that I don't like the Foose wheels, but at the end of the day, rolling around on $4000 worth of wheels and tires really isn't my style. Bling ain't my thing. I more of a form following function type of guy.

The70RT

I like the aluminum 17" magnums but are like 500 each. That was a couple years ago. Probably more by now.

Ghoste

Go with the TA look man, not enough E-bodies running that Minilite theme.

471_Magnum

I need to find the specs on that 71 pictured. It was on ebay recently, and has been featured in a magazine, but I can't find any info.

I'm guessing it has been mini-tubbed. Those tires have to be 305s or something like that. They're huge. :o

Problem with the V48s is that they don't come in 18's, and 17" tire selection is really limited if you want something around 27"-28" tall. Been down this road before with the Charger.

EDIT: Found something
http://www.memorylaneclassiccars.com/71challenger/1971_dodge_hemi_challenger.htm

Those are 335-35-17s. YIKES! Don't think that will fit in a stock wheel opening.  ::)

firefighter3931

I like the 17's on an e-body. Rob (kamcuda) has 17x9's out back and 17x7's up front with 275/50/17 & 225/50/17 tires and it looks fantastic. The wheels are centerlines and the tires are Falken.....handles soooo much nicer than the old BFG's /rally wheels.   :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

471_Magnum

Yep. The Falkens shown, Nitto NT450s, and M&H drag radials are your only choices in a 275-50-17.

I ran the Nittos on the Charger a while back. Car handled okay, but they wouldn't hook for sh*t. Really heavy tires to boot. Better suited for an SUV than a muscle car.

471_Magnum

Here a good example of a Cuda on V48s.

He's running 275-40-17s out back, which are about 26" tall. I'd like something with a bit more sidewall, but it doesn't look bad.

kamkuda

Quote from: 471_Magnum on October 05, 2008, 07:34:55 AM
Yep. The Falkens shown, Nitto NT450s, and M&H drag radials are your only choices in a 275-50-17.

I ran the Nittos on the Charger a while back. Car handled okay, but they wouldn't hook for sh*t. Really heavy tires to boot. Better suited for an SUV than a muscle car.
The Falkens don't hook either and they are heavy, but choices are limited and it does handle very well. :2thumbs:
I Love the look of your new cuda :drool5:

GeneralLeeTESH

Man alive-that CUDA is AWESOME !  I love the Pistol Grip on it with the custom console ! Steering wheel is awesome, also !
The TESH