News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trunk weatherstrip

Started by bearbqd, September 29, 2008, 08:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearbqd

Another question for ya... my 68 CHarger has pretty new looking weatherstrip in the trunk, but it still allows a good bit of water in the trunk when it rains and especially after I wash it. What's the best way to remedy this?  Should I put a chalk line around the edge and see where it isn't sealing or should I just go ahead and try another seal?
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

y3chargerrt

Does your Charger have a vinyl top?

bearbqd

It's supposed to, but it currently doesn't have one.
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

Hemidog

Might be leaking through the bottom of your rear window

charger2fast4u

i would look at the rear window channel my charger had holes in it and let water run right into my trunk. 

charger Downunder

To find the leak get in the trunk with a torch have the wife close it and hose the outside till you can see where the water is coming in.
Once you have spotted the leak good luck getting out.
[/quote]

mikepmcs

I suggest a flashlight and not a torch.  :cheers:
But I agree, get in the trunk and try to pinpoint it.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Also make sure the trunk weatherstrip is positioned in the correct location....supposed to rest on the inner rail of the trunk not IN the drain trough...DAMHIK :rotz:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

charger Downunder

Quote from: mikepmcs on October 07, 2008, 06:39:39 AM
This is how it is downunder
flashlight we call a torch, trunk we call a boot,hood we call a bonet.

[/quote]

towscum

what do you call an easy girl?
1969 dodge charger 440 4 speed

C500

Quote from: charger Downunder on October 08, 2008, 04:45:38 AM

and what we call a fanny is something only a woman has
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

tatrick2me

I bought a new 69 R/T SE and the first time it rained the trunk filled up with water. Seems the factory didn't see the need to seal the clip holes for the vynel top  quater panel trim. But today most leaks come from the bottom of the rear glass. The window channel gets rust pin holes in  it.
If any 68 to 70 B body hasn't rusted up out of the channel yet. The best way to fix it is to remove the trim clean the oiutside and inside of the channel. Then brush por 15 with an artist brush in the channel and inside or the trunk. After that work very careful and line the bottom of the channel with fiberglass. Be sure to keep it low enough to be hidden by the trim. In 1977 I ran the fiberclass half way up each side and across the bottom of the channelk in my 69 R/T SE. And its still solid and leak free today.
Bone 7

Ghoste

Quote from: Kiwi68 on October 18, 2008, 07:49:00 PM

and what we call a fanny is something only a woman has

Gives a whole new meaning to "fanny pack".

bearbqd

Thanks for the tips. I determined it is leaking from the rear window trim area. It's pretty gay that the factory didn't take care of that area better.
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

Ghoste

They didn't plan on us still driving these things 40 years later.  You're right though, leaks back there are a killer and not that uncommon.

tatrick2me

3M weather strip adhesive will also fill up the holes. But a rust converter in the channel and inside the trunk under the channel is very important. If you don't stop the rust in 3 months it will be leaking again.
Bone 7

kevin383

I'm cracking up here......I've heard torch for flash light, but never in a get inside a trunk sentence....hahaha :smilielol:
Car's got a lot of pickup. It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?