News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carburetor identification, Carter AFB..and then?

Started by Jonas_N, September 22, 2008, 07:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonas_N

Before getting a new carb I was very curious to find out more info about what carb my car came with.

It is a Carter AFB, on the side it says "3012" and on the small metal tab "8 J 29, 9638 S"
...and the whole housing is plastic.

Now, the 9 should be some series number?
The 6 for 600 cfm?

But then? I can find 9637 by searching on the net and the 7 says it should be on a Ford engine....but what about the 8?

firefighter3931

Quote from: Jonas_N on September 22, 2008, 07:22:30 AM

...and the whole housing is plastic.

This usually denotes a Thermoquad...not an afb or avs style carburator.

What year and engine size are we talking about here ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Jonas_N

AFB was stamped on the back.

Yes, have seen some other plastics but then only the middle housing was plastic, here it is the whole carb.

The engine block is a 413 cid from -63.
It prolly is not the original carburetor, it has double spacers down on the intake.

Ghoste

Are the throttle bores all the same size or are two much larger than the other pair?

John_Kunkel

Could that number actually be 9636? If so it's a Mopar specific aftermarket electric choke 625 CFM. If the throttle lever is the Mopar design rather than the generic GM design with the large hole at the top it's likely a 9636.

The 8 J 29 is the date code, the J 29 would be September 29 but the single digit year code could be 1978, 1988 or 1998. I would guess 1988, I don't think that series came out until the eighties and was gone by the nineties.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Jonas_N

John: I wanted it to be my eyes that decieved me and that it was a 6 like you said, but no...  :scratchchin:
Here are some pictures...and I cant find any info on the 8.

firefighter3931

Jonas, look on the baseplate of your carb for the number stampings. It should be on the bottom left hand corner right behind your coil. Remove the coil off your intake and you will see the numbers....

It's definately not a thermoquad. Looks like someone painted it black at some point.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

John_Kunkel

The pics show the painted over "Carter Competition Series" tag at the front of the airhorn and it has the generic GM throttle lever and electric choke so it's definitely an aftermarket carb.

BROCK

More than likely the number on the baseplate is 9638S also.  The 9xxx series are aftermarket.  OEM series are 4xxx.

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

Jonas_N

Thanks guys for the help, I appreciate it.  :cheers:

And Brock was right: the number on the down left hand corner is: 9638S.

That just leaves to figure out what the "8" is for?  :shruggy:

John_Kunkel

The black finish looks too good to be home done so if it's factory it might be a marine carb; I seem to remember them being black. Marine carbs have teflon bushing throttle shafts and sealed accelerator pumps to prevent vapors in the engine compartment.

9636 and 9637 are 625 cfm Competition Series so the 9638 is most likely also 625.

BROCK

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

Jonas_N

Ok, so final verdict: Someone tried to convert my Charger into a boat?   :slap:

:lol:

resq302

Quote from: Jonas_N on September 29, 2008, 12:51:14 AM
Ok, so final verdict: Someone tried to convert my Charger into a boat?   :slap:

:lol:

Maybe where the car was could have been prone to flooding?  Or driving throug high water?    :smilielol:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto