News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HP exhaust manifold question......strange fitting??

Started by 69 OUR/TEA, September 27, 2008, 07:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69 OUR/TEA

Hey all,I have a question on my 69 HP manifold that has a fitting screwed into the top,like for some kind of EGT gauge.Don't know if this original or not,never seen this before nor heard of it.Maybe some of you could shed some light on this.It unscrewed no problem,here are a couple pics.......

tatrick2me

Every CA car I've ever saw had this. Even in 68 they had to install air pumps on there cars for emissions.
Bone 7

y3chargerrt

My 69 is an original Ca car. I believe that the manifolds are original and have no such fitting.

ITSA426

Don't know for sure but that would be a good spot for a heated choke tube on the rear carb of a dual quad set up.  It seems like the manifold pickup used on earlier set ups.  An idea! Thanks.  It doesn't look original to the manifold, and I've seen that fitting used in other places.  I just can't remember where right this second.

john108

I purchased my '68 Charger R/T, off the showroom floor, in 1968 in Southern California.  No Fitting and no air pump.

ITSA426

Fine threads cut into cast iron is generally not a good idea, and the drilled head bolt looks to be from the aviation world. 

John_Kunkel

Definitely not factory, the bolt is an AN7x series aircraft bolt cross drilled for safety wire.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

375instroke

I'm from California and have never seen that or a smog pump on a pre-mid-'70s Mopar.

FLG

Yep sure looks like an aircraft bolt. Ive seen 1 car with such a bolt (though no hole in the middle) and that was a 67 T-Bird. Those aircraft bolts were used to hold the calipers on, still got em laying around somewhere. Dont know if it was "supposed" to be like that but there were 2 on each side so who knows.