News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How is PPG's Deltron DBI versus DBC for Interior, Trunk, etc???

Started by 68mmcharger, October 17, 2008, 07:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68mmcharger

Has anyone used PPG's Deltron DBI paint for interior, trunk, engine bay, or bottom of vehicle? (I know bottom was originally just primed but I want to paint for additional protection.)

I would think color match would not be an issue. True?

It would be nice not to have to apply the clear coat layers but not sure how you would handle the engine bay. Does color and shine match well with DBC? Where would you switch from DBI to DBC in the engine bay?

I haven't priced it yet. Is it cheaper than DBC/DCU?

Kevin

83CHARGER2.2

Kevin,

DBI is an interior trim paint only.  DBI stands for Deltron Base Interior.  It would be a product that you could paint a non-flexible plastic component after adhesion promoting with DPX801.  It can be also applied over metal interior components as long as they are primered and sealed with correct undercoat products.  This is not a jambing or engine bay product.  It has a binder and flatener in it that matches OEM color and gloss level for interior Parts.  A product called UCV, or now SPC through PPG, is for any interior component that is flexible, such as a dash pads, arm and head rests, etc. 

As for painting in the trunk, engine bay or undersides, the topcoat product (DBC or GLobal, DBU, whatever basecoat you are using ) and the clearcoat are normally used.  DBC and DBI are both basecoats, so a shine level is low and really not achieved.  The DBI has the interior shine level, but not for the trunk and engine bay.  If you are using a solid color, such as Black, the DBC 9700 and the DCC9300 are very very very close if not the same when choosing a single stage product.  The DBC9700 is obviously your base, needed to be cleared with a clearcoat, and the DCC9300 is a single stage direct gloss product that is applied with a full gloss achievement level.  It can also be cocktailed with any DCU clear coat to provide even a fuller gloss level.  Concept DCC, is a fantastic product and may help if you do not want to base clear your engine bay, trunk interior, and underside.  DBI is not the product.

Hope this helps.

Rigs

68mmcharger

83Charger2.2, thanks for info.

The "DeltronĀ® 2000 (DBI) Interior Color was developed for interior and underhood color matching purposes." statement from the DBI tech sheet sure is misleading regarding underhood use.

I guess I should have remembered I was in the Basecoats section of the Deltron product listing. Thanks, again.

Kevin

hemi-hampton

Underhood colors on newer cars are a dull non cleared look similar to interior colors. This new info & color chip books are geared for newer 2000+ year cars, not 1960 or 70's cars. Why are you comparing newer colors or paint or tech sheets with older cars? :scratchchin: :brickwall: LEON.

sthemi

DCC Concept is indeed a great choice for single stage paint.
here is my engine bay with DCC.  :2thumbs:

68mmcharger

Quote from: sthemi on October 24, 2008, 12:29:44 AM
DCC Concept is indeed a great choice for single stage paint.
here is my engine bay with DCC.  :2thumbs:

Are you painting the whole car with DCC? If not, are you painting the fenders separately?

Kevin