News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

360 Pirated From A 1979 Dodge Truck?

Started by WingCharger, September 21, 2008, 04:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WingCharger

I have a buddy who has a 1979 Dodge half ton that is pretty much gone. It has been sitting under a tree for probably 5 years. I recently asked him what motor was in it, thinking it would probably be a 318, and he said it has a 360 auto. I asked him if it was for sale, and he said sure. I am thinking about buying the engine before the truck hits the scrap yard. It is not running, but is all there. How much do you think I should offer him for it?

Also, if I do buy it, what all else should I pull with it besides the longblock and front parts???? Anything that could get reused on a future project???? Is the tranny worth taking????

FLG

Why are you buying an engine for a car that you dont have? Unless your getting this thing for dirt dirt cheap i see no reason for it, you dont even know the condition of it and it doesnt run.

Ghoste

I agree with FLG, unless you are buying this thing for almost nothing, forget about it.  If you do buy it, get the rest of the drivetrain and sell it all to finance buying a car.  But if it can't be made to run and you have nothing to put it in and bring it home, imagine how your dad is going to love having that thing laying around for a door stop.  He already hates every car you've looked at for being old and rusty.

WingCharger

OK, before this thread dies, I need to know. My dad is talking to my buddy, and he is probably going to sell the Rear End, Tranny, and Engine. I need to know if this combined is worth more then $400? That is what the truck would bring at the scrap yard. I have no plans to buy the truck, it is the wrong year for any clone, and is way, way to far gone. The rear frame rails behind the leaf springs collapsed because of no bed to protect them. The rear end is still out of the dirt because of the giant super swampers that were on it. The front end looks good, the engine is probably in good shape. I was going to buy the engine and tranny to either use on a first project car, or to sell. I couldnt tell what size rear end is in it. So, what is the verdict? How much should I offer. I just dont want to see a useable MoPar engine, auto tranny, and rear end hit the scrap yard. :'(

FLG

Just let the darn thing go to the crusher.

The only way i see this thing bringing you money is if was 4x4 and it has both front and rear Dana's.

Blown70

Worth about $50 at most.  Let it get crunched....

Ghoste

400 dollars isn't next to nothing, let it go. (patience grasshopper)

WingCharger

No, I can get it for a lot less than $400. Probably closer to $100 for the Dana, Tranny, and Engine. If the front axle is a Dana, ill pull it too. I am still seeing what he wants. :D

craigandlynda

those are extremely common components, and not really worth much...unless you need them for a specific project, let them go...save your cash and sweat for something a little more worthwhile...the 79 360 truck engine is no hot rod motor...even if it was in running condition..

WingCharger

Quote from: craigandlynda on September 23, 2008, 04:15:15 PM
those are extremely common components, and not really worth much...unless you need them for a specific project, let them go...save your cash and sweat for something a little more worthwhile...the 79 360 truck engine is no hot rod motor...even if it was in running condition..

What about for a A-Body? :shruggy:
It would be good for a  Demon clone.

Blown70