News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Found a 69 Charger in the woods at a friends house. What should I offer?

Started by 69RTSEV88, September 21, 2008, 12:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69RTSEV88

I buddy of mine told me that while visiting a friends house he should walk into the woods and check out the "Dukes of Hazard car" as his kids called it.  So he did and he told me it was a 69 Charger like mine, and that I could go look at it if I wanted to.  Of course I said yes, so today we went to see just what was in the woods.  I found a largely unmolested, complete but very rusty 69 Charger.  Its a very basic car, 318 auto on column, I couldn't see the rear axle as the back end was sitting pretty low and kind of buried in the dirt.  Most of the sheetmetal is fairly rotted out as it appears to be an original NY car plus its been sitting for at least 20 years in this spot.  A plus is that its a non-vinyl top car, and the roof panel seemed pretty solid.  Besides that maybe just some trim parts and the taillights would be about the only good parts.  My question is what would you offer the guy for something like this.  I was kind of hoping he would say "just get it out of here", but he did say "make me an offer".
Sorry, no pics yet.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

FLG

Ask him what he really is looking to get. Maybe lowball him and see how he reacts. I usually ask someone "Listen i dont want to lowball ya, what are you really looking to get for the car?"

Finn

Might want to see if he wants to trade it for something.
Also might want to check to see if its definitely on his property.
:popcrn:
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

69charger2002

offer him $500 and watch his reaction. if it's a parts car, it's not worth too much over a $1000 nowadays.. parts cars used to be worth $2500 in complete shape, but with the aftermarket that has changed dramatically(which is a good thing)
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

69RTSEV88

$500 was what I was thinking as well.  Its definately on his property, so we'll see what happens.

Finn

If it has the front windshield trim available, I'm in the market.  :D
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Mike DC

Yeah, the parts-car prices have fallen a lot with tons of good new repro stuff hitting the market.  (FINALLY!!!)

But there's so many odds & ends on these things that are still nowhere near reproducing or not worth buying all-new . . .  try to get this thing if you have the storage space for it. 

41husk

I would start at $200 and explain it will be no easy feat to dig it out of the muck, and sitting that long on the frame rails the car is good for nothing but spare parts,  WHo knows, the worst he can tell you is NO.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Finn

2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Old Moparz

Okay, it might definitely be on his property, but is it his to sell? If it is, then you also have to consider what it's going to take to get it out of the woods. Sounds like it isn't worth more than a few hundred, but.....

Will you have to cut trees down?

Is the ground stable enough for a tow vehicle to drive up to it & not get stuck?

Will there be parts you need, or at least enough parts to salvage to break even if you bust it up as a parts car?

How long will it take you to get it out of the woods & home, couple of hours, all day, all weekend, or more than one weekend?
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Old Moparz

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

craigandlynda

as an earlier poster noted, be aware of what it will take to get it out of the woods....i once had someone sell me a 392 hemi for $100...it was still in the '58 imperial, at the bottom of a farm field... on the other side of a small creek. the owner had "parked " it by driving full speed , down this 100 yard long hillside, rammed it across the creek and it got buried in the dirt on the otherside. it was a lot of work to drag a pole tripod and pulley setup down there...fell in the creek mud twice...fought mosquitoes for a half a day...had to dig a hole under the side of the car to unbolt the trans..it was a nightmare..got the motor out, and laid it on the upside-down hood...then had to put arope on the hood emblem, and use the hood like a sled to get back across the creek and drag it up the hill...took a 10 hour day and a lot of sweat to retrieve it...but i can always say, that  "I bought a Hemi once for $100". :P

ps- an early happy haloween!