News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gas tank strap advice needed.

Started by jb666, September 18, 2008, 08:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb666

Among the other 1,351 things we found wrong(The things we've found are incredible) with the build of my "new" Charger, we discovered, today, that the gas tank was leaking. Not only was the tank installed without the pad between the tank and the body, but they installed the tank loose, and it's been rubbing against a bracket towards the front(of the car)/floor.

Anyways, I just ordered a new pad, and have had the tank sealed, but I'm wondering, what should be between the tank straps and the tank?? Year One says I'll have to "fab" something up... And he told me to use TAR PAPER???????

Thanks, in advance.
:cheers: :cheers:

Finn

My old pad was shot but I didn't know it was a must have. What exactly does it do? Just prevent metal on metal rub?
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

jb666

Quote from: Finn on September 18, 2008, 08:13:53 PM
My old pad was shot but I didn't know it was a must have. What exactly does it do? Just prevent metal on metal rub?

Yeah, and inside noise while driving, I'm told.

See my post here:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=47733.msg531895#msg531895

Mine , being installed loose, caused the brand new tank to 'wear through' and leak.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Originally there was nothing between the straps & the tank.

There was a "pad" between the tank & the body though.  Try to avoid the older repros that were made of a foam like material.  These are reported to retain moisture & rust out the top of your tank.
The newer repros are like the original....a thick, tar-like paper :Twocents:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Hemidog

I didn't use anything between the tank and trunkfloor. Just undercoating.

62 Max

Black felt roofing underlayment/paper works as well as anything.It is tar base and is as close to the original as you will find.Once the straps are tight,you don't need anything else.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 62 Max on September 20, 2008, 08:17:22 AM
Black felt roofing underlayment/paper works as well as anything.It is tar base and is as close to the original as you will find.Once the straps are tight,you don't need anything else.

I agree With the Tar paper, just be sure to get the heavy grade or double up the light stuff.  :Twocents:

Ive made every tank pad I ever used from tar paper, like stated above its as close to original as you can get.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

jb666

Thanks  for all the tips guys, I appreciate it!!  :cheers: :cheers:

I already ordered the new pad, but I'll make sure there's a sheet of tar paper on both sides of it before putting it up there.. :2thumbs:

The70RT

Quote from: jb666 on September 21, 2008, 03:47:56 PM
Thanks  for all the tips guys, I appreciate it!!  :cheers: :cheers:

I already ordered the new pad, but I'll make sure there's a sheet of tar paper on both sides of it before putting it up there.. :2thumbs:

I didn't do alot of reasearching before I put mine in and all I did was order a yearone pad and didn't use tarpaper. I did put clear por15 on my tank so hopfully the will be sufficient.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us