News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's it worth 68 charger /6-3tree

Started by Cuda Hunter, October 28, 2008, 05:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troy.70R/T

I would definantly spend 6 ghrand for that car. Everyone else is asking 8 grand for rusted out stripped down cars. i also believe they made about 200 slant six three on the tree 68 chargers. I can remember looking at one for sale about ten years ago.

375instroke

Quote from: AKcharger on November 12, 2008, 02:53:23 PM
I'd LOVE to buy that car just to "save it" from some one putting a 440 in it...we have enough of those already.
No way in hell do we have enough of them.

Chad L. Magee

It appears to be a nice example that has not been modified much.  My guestimate would be closer to $9,000-10,000 (more $ if running and with the correct transmission in place), unless the quarters are rotted out and not showing in the picture.  /6 Chargers are worth at least as much as a plain 318 Charger, reguardless of what the price guides (or experts) say (the factory used alot of the same parts to build the two types and those parts are worth $).  My suggestion is to bring it back as close to stock as possible, as you have found out, it is a rare Charger and deserves to be left that way.  First thing you should do is register it with TDC registry to keep the knowledge alive.  Resist the erge to make it something that it is not (ie. RT clone, GL clone, etc.) and show it as it was orginally delivered.  Trust me on this, if you want attention at a show, bring this one and park it next to the big block Chargers.  That /6 engine alone will get peoples attention, most have never seen one in a 1968 Charger from the factory.  But, be prepared to answer alot of questions about it (some good, some not so good) and recieve some flak for keeping it a /6.  Very few column mounted manual transmission second generation Chargers were made, even fewer exist now in as nice of shape as this.  As mentioned previously, the hubcaps are not correct for this car, but the correct ones should not be that hard to find.  Nice find BTW......
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Sublime/Sixpack

1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: Cuda Hunter on October 31, 2008, 07:37:54 PM
here is the tag. 

50 8 4 c6v 331w xp29 21 1 91429

So what does that mean?

I am trying to do this off of the top of my head, so if I am wrong let me know....

The XP29 21 1 decodes out to a 1968 Model Charger with the /6 engine and 3-speed column shift manual transmission and the 91429 is the sequence number...

The first part of the tag list gives the options (50, 8- usually moldings, etc.), Axle (4), Interior Code (C6V-white bucket), Exterior Color (331-Monotone Red), and UBS (W)....

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: troy.70R/T on November 14, 2008, 11:59:30 PM
I would definantly spend 6 ghrand for that car. Everyone else is asking 8 grand for rusted out stripped down cars. i also believe they made about 200 slant six three on the tree 68 chargers. I can remember looking at one for sale about ten years ago.

GG White Books used to quote a number known of 2 or so, but many more have been found since then in the past ten years.  Evidently, the factory did not keep good records on the transmission numbers for column mounted manual transmission Chargers as exact figures for both the /6 and 318 versions are not currently known.  I know that only about 10-15 of the 318 versions are now known to exist from that year up to this date, including mine.  Probably no more than 50 might be out there in the wild in any condition.  More of the column mounted manual transmissions were put into /6 Chargers than the 318 versions, but how many? :icon_smile_question:.........

DodgeChargerNeeded

Definately a Michigan plate on the back. Do you plan on buying it
Jeff

Cuda Hunter

No, my buddy is trying to come to a compromise in the price with the owner.  Hasn't been driven in a long time but it started the other day when he was there.  The only things that were changed were the radiator and the transmission.  Oh, and the shifter mechanism's. 
  I wish I could buy it.  He won't let me into where it is though.  Plus I am in Colorado so I couldn't just run over there and snipe it.  If he gets it I will let those who are watching this thread know what he paid for it. 
  Thanks for all your thoughts on this car.  A truely different car.  I am still looking for mine.  All I have is two cuda's and two ramchargers.  And some pontiacs and a lincoln.  Seems everyone who has a charger sitting in the field doesn't want to sale it to me.  I must know of over a dozen chargers that the owners will not sale and say they are going to rebuild it one day.  My ass they will rebuild it.  All I know of havn't moved aside from a few that were taken to the back of the houses because I kept trying to get them to sale them.  Plus, I am a cheap ass! 

Chad L. Magee

A few months ago, Mopar Collector's Guide magazine did a feature on a 1969 Charger /6 from Colorado.  It was odd in that they found a 1969 vintage whiskey bottle (with some of the liquor still in it) wedged in one of the recessed window frame areas.  You should check out the article if you want to know more on the /6 Chargers of the era......

As for peope hoarding Chargers, I can't blame them as I keep the ones I have very close, closer than my other cars.  If the ownership roles were reversed from the people that you have asked but were turned down, would you want to sell the Chargers if you owned them?  (Think how hard it would be to replace them before you answer that question.)  Chargers were the most stylish musclecars built and have a reputation as fast cars (from Bullitt, CMDL, etc), not to mention the GLs.  That all becomes part of the demand equation for collectibility for Chargers, thus the challenge in finding one, especially on a budget.  The key to doing that is to be up on the current prices of what these cars are worth and work from there when negotiating a deal.  You must be patient when searching for the right Charger, but you also must work hard to find the correct one that fits your plans...... 

Skyview69

Quote from: Ghoste on November 14, 2008, 04:40:07 PM
Really??
Quote from: moparstuart on November 14, 2008, 04:56:03 PM
Quote from: Skyview69 on November 14, 2008, 04:38:18 PM
I'd trade my sunroof 69 for it.
????    :shruggy: :shruggy: :slap:? :rotz:
Quote from: tan top on November 14, 2008, 05:04:35 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on November 14, 2008, 04:56:03 PM
Quote from: Skyview69 on November 14, 2008, 04:38:18 PM
I'd trade my sunroof 69 for it.
????    :shruggy: :shruggy: :slap:? :rotz:

:faint: ........... :popcrn:

:smilielol: :smilielol:  :cheers:

You guys crack me up...and yes I would trade straight up for it today (if the car still looks like it does in the pics).  My car is complete, running, and drivable however it needs ALOT of Work....with my current employment and expenses it will take me 20 years to bring it back to glory.  I'd rather take that car...and drop a 440 in it and go!  Of course I would restore the original motor and eventually put it back in :yesnod:
Hey...I'm in Michigan too...let me know if a trade is possible :2thumbs:

Blown70

Quote from: Cuda Hunter on November 25, 2008, 09:16:20 PM
  My ass they will rebuild it.  All I know of havn't moved aside from a few that were taken to the back of the houses because I kept trying to get them to sale them.  Plus, I am a cheap ass! 

Funny, I get the same when I go out hunting for a Cuda......hahahah.  Sorry,  time will come when you will find the right deal keep your chin up.

Tom

Cuda Hunter

two pages of "going to restore it" .  Seems to be a trend. 

If I have a car and someone wants it, and they are willing to pay the price to pick it up, I am willing to release.   I have had several Cuda's now and I have let many go because someone else wanted them badly and they were willing to pay the price.   

I like having many cars and having them come and go.  I am young so I havn't had as many as some of the guys here of course.  Still seems that the charger has been very hard to come up with.  It took me ten years to get a 71 barracuda.  I have owned all other years but was unwilling to pay the price for the 71's.  Finally I found one.  So, I am being patient and someday I will find a charger for the right price. 

However, I do have one car, a 98 trans am Ram air, one of 1400 made in the first year of production.  I purchased it brand new and that car, I couldn't get rid of it for any price or trade for that matter.  So, I do understand some people not releasing their cars.  Sentimental value and all.  Here is a picture of my first new car.  second time it has seen snow.

Blown70

Quote from: Cuda Hunter on November 26, 2008, 03:56:34 PM
two pages of "going to restore it" .  Seems to be a trend. 

If I have a car and someone wants it, and they are willing to pay the price to pick it up, I am willing to release.   I have had several Cuda's now and I have let many go because someone else wanted them badly and they were willing to pay the price.   

I like having many cars and having them come and go.  I am young so I havn't had as many as some of the guys here of course.  Still seems that the charger has been very hard to come up with.  It took me ten years to get a 71 barracuda.  I have owned all other years but was unwilling to pay the price for the 71's.  Finally I found one.  So, I am being patient and someday I will find a charger for the right price. 

However, I do have one car, a 98 trans am Ram air, one of 1400 made in the first year of production.  I purchased it brand new and that car, I couldn't get rid of it for any price or trade for that matter.  So, I do understand some people not releasing their cars.  Sentimental value and all.  Here is a picture of my first new car.  second time it has seen snow.

NICE TA,  I have a 2000 Firebird TA Ram Air covert.  RED......  Love that car.

Tom

Cuda Hunter

That car handles G forces excellently.  I am hoping to build my 71 Cuda into a G car so that I can get the same rush as my T/A gives me.