News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

timing questions

Started by 1968_Charger, September 21, 2008, 04:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1968_Charger

ok, here i am starting another topic on further issues with my car. but since you guys have always been sio much help i figured id ask.

i recently put a 360 in my car. it has been rebuilt but i have no idea whats inside. lets just assume its stock. it seems to run fine, no ticking or anything like that. however i cant seem to get much power out of it. as i said in my last thread i played with the timing a little and was able to get enough power to spin the wheels. it also seemed to take less cranks to start. however after several days now i cant spin them over anymore  :brickwall: . i had set the timing to about 22 initiial with the vacuum advance plugged off.
today i was playing with it using a vacuum gauge and dial timing light. using just the gauge i got the smoothest idle and most vacuum (20) at about 30 initial. which seems really high. if i set the timing to 15 im getting about 16 vac.  driving the car at 15, it seems like i have no bottom end power but it feels steadier at high rpm. when it was set on 22 it seemed to have more low end and acceleration maxed out sooner. which makes me think it was too much timing. i didnt drive it set at 30 but i reved it up and it sounded fine no pinging.  ive got a 600cfm eddy carb on it that i transfered from my old 318. that motor ran almost as good at the 360 does but still felt the same. ive heard some of you guys say a stock 318 should have enough power to spin the wheels over so its driving me crazy that my car cant.

ive been wondering if it may be the eddy carb, as i have no idea what im doing when it comes to tuning them, other than setting the idle mixture.
could it be my electronic ignition is faulty? its a new mp orange box
the only other thing would be in my timing settings.
i think my torque converter and transmission are fine. both are working properly and i have no kickdown because of a cheetah manual valve body
what do you guys think about the whole situation?

62 Max

Forget about initial and set it in the mid 30's total at about 2500rpm and see what happens.You may be surprised.

1968_Charger

ill give that a shot. but right now my total is about 39 max right now

1968_Charger

turns out mid 30s at 2500 is right where i had it. that puts me at about 16* iat idle
any other suggestions guys?