News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hemigeno's Daytona restoration - a few more tweaks... again!

Started by hemigeno, November 27, 2006, 09:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Quote from: maxwellwedge on February 02, 2010, 12:04:31 PM
Quote from: nascarxx29 on February 02, 2010, 11:58:56 AM
Ok wasnt sure on switch. What you think on the red mixture caps
http://amhightechauto.com/ In the fuel section

Caps are definitely on 69's - I have two original cars with them. AVS only.

Another cool detail item for mine.......  :icon_smile_big:   As soon as I get one of my AVS's good-to-go, I'll install them. Still looking for that elusive 4618SA.... Have a 4618S for you C500 owners..... Hint hint....  :D
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

nascarxx29

Heater hose magazine reference .I got pictures and part# from my original heater hoses
.The  22 inch radiator in a new daytona as seen in road test magazine
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hemigeno

Great questions/comments guys, keep 'em comin'!

Quote from: nascarxx29 on February 02, 2010, 11:33:49 AM
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: On detail and workmanship Did you ever have red plastic caps on your carb mixture screws.

A pair of original red caps are sitting there ready for installation, but that won't be until towards the end of the whole process and Vance is comfortable the carb is tuned.  I'm not sure if the repro red caps Bill Allphin sells are the same ones Frank Badalson sells, but Frank's are nice pieces from what I've heard.

I didnt see the green wire for the 4 speed safety clutch switch .And terminal on relay soldered over .I guess you car didnt have that option.

Troy's right - that didn't start until the 1970 model year.  The terminal on the starter relay that would normally be hooked up to the neutral safety switch on an automatic trans car is, however, solderd/grounded to the case and chassis on a 1969 4-speed car like this.  When I first read your comment, that's what I thought you were referring to - and I was looking back through the pictures to see if the solder shows.  It does, but you kinda have to know what you're looking for in order to see it.

Otherwise fantastic work and attention to detail.

Thanks, Dave!

My old car had a visible primer line where back edge of hood faced the cowl .As hood was on when painted and random workmanship that area didnt get covered to well :shruggy:

Yep, that detail will be shown in a picture I took this batch, whenever I get a chance to finish posting 'em all.   :2thumbs:

Quote from: maxwellwedge on February 02, 2010, 12:03:31 PM
Looks great Geno. All of my trunk hinges had that very light grey primer but there were probably different primer colors used. I don't think any 69 Positive cables had writing (part numbers) on the insulation - that was all done by 68. And you need to get Vance to route the heater hoses properly when you put on the real ones. They should cross-over each other just before or after the inner fender hose bracket. All the original (and magazine tests of the day) have them like that....the FSM shows it as well. The 2 hoses have different part numbers and it seemed the one number was always on the outside heater nipple....I'll give you those numbers after I check at home. Minor stuff.  Looks freakin' fantastico!!!  :2thumbs:

Thanks for the comments & feedback Jim - I appreciate you taking the time to do so.   :yesnod:

As for the positive battery cable, wasn't there a difference in the "lower" terminal between '68 and '69?

Vance knew that the heater hose deal is a temporary situation, so my guess is he didn't worry about correct routing on something that's (hopefully) going to be yanked off in a few more days or weeks.  I'd still like to have the info on numbers, etc. if you get the chance to pass it along.

Thanks again, everyone!

:cheers:

hemi68charger

Geno, is the distributor's advance hose ribbed? Is it supposed to?
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

hemigeno

Quote from: hemi68charger on February 02, 2010, 01:49:33 PM

Troy,

The answer to both questions is yes, and this is a better photo taken of the hose before installation:

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemi68charger on February 02, 2010, 01:49:33 PM

Yup as Geno posted - also the identical hose is used on 6-Packs for the vacuum - all years for you 70-71 6-Pack Charger guys (and for the 69-1/2's too).

hemigeno

Continuing on with the pics...

These three pictures show the trunk weatherstrip seal.  Originally, the assembly line workers had this material in bulk on a big roll, so the part number you see does not correspond to what's in the parts book (in case you wondered).

The second and third pictures show how the upper corners were formed on my particular car... they were cut about 3/4 of the way through at the corner, and the Creative Industries worker folded the seal around to fit the 90* corner.  Some cars had their corners cut all the way through, and the corners were sometimes gobbered up with sealant too.  Most were probably prone to leaks from Day 1 too   :rotz:

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on February 02, 2010, 06:36:12 PM

These three pictures show the trunk weatherstrip seal.

Speaking of weatherstrip seals....... Let's see those door seals.....  :icon_smile_big:
Troy

hemigeno

The wing has been painted now, as you can see.  One detail to point out is that the wing was painted as an assembled unit, so there should be bare metal on the mating surfaces between the uprights and the horizontal stabilizer section (as in the first two pics).

In the last pic, you can see how the adjusting cap screw has incomplete paint coverage in one area, which was the lower side of the screw head when the paint was applied.

1969chargerrtse

:scope:  Everytime I read this thread it is just amazing of the detail and detail pictures along with the info. Wow.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

hemigeno

Quote from: hemi68charger on February 02, 2010, 07:04:33 PM
Quote from: hemigeno on February 02, 2010, 06:36:12 PM

These three pictures show the trunk weatherstrip seal.

Speaking of weatherstrip seals....... Let's see those door seals.....  :icon_smile_big:

Those did (and still do) look sweet!  No pictures of those this time - I think they were in a previous post a while back.  I ran across the vintage parts receipt that you sent with those the other day.  Good stuff...

hemigeno

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on February 02, 2010, 07:58:00 PM
:scope:  Everytime I read this thread it is just amazing of the detail and detail pictures along with the info. Wow.

Thanks for the compliment - I have viewed this entire exercise as a learning experience for me, and my goal with writing all this stuff down is twofold:  

1.  So I won't forget the finer details, as I'd - sadly - be very quick in doing
2.  So that other folks can maybe learn some of the same things I've learned along the way (and some have forgotten more details than I'll ever know anyway)

It's been an unintended benefit that by posting progress pictures as things have gone along, we've been able to get a few things straightened out that might be more difficult to fix later.  Imagine how much trouble it would have been to modify the rear frame crossmember opening (the unused filler tube opening) at this stage :o

:cheers:

hemigeno

I took a shot of the decklid leading edge, which shows a primer line similar to what Dave mentioned he remembered from his car.  The decklid was mounted when everything was painted up, and this edge got anything but complete coverage.

The second shot is of the one quarterstripe which had been installed at the time I was there.  If the lettering style looks odd compared to some you've seen, there's a reason.  David Patik has two different styles of lettering aligment he uses... one which doesn't make the "A" look tilted, and one which follows the original character layout but makes those "A"s look odd.  Guess which one I chose...

In the third picture you can see the upper wheelhouse on the driver's side, which has the bumper jack rest.  Vance found an original piece of felt that was in great shape, and glued it in.

The last picture is sort of an inside joke with Danny.  Vance wrote "No" on the taillight housing in grease pencil after the three of us had discussed how the Charger 500s often had "Yes" or "No" written on their taillight housings, and whether or not there was a corrolation between the writing and whether that particular car was equipped with the A01 Light Group (which included the trunk compartment light).  On C500's which had that "Yes", they relocated the switch tab, and relocated the switch & lamp.  My car was not equipped with the light group, however Creative's guys went ahead and relocated the switch tab even though it was not used.  There was not any writing on my taillight housings originally, and this writing won't be left in place.

Do any Daytona owners with original/undisturbed taillight housings have any writing on them?  Inquiring minds want to know...  :scope:

hemigeno

One of the things Vance fixed was the original jack handle.  When I got the car, the scissors jack was missing its original bearing (THANK YOU again to Pete Veight for scoring an original "Irwin" H-19-B bearing for me!!).  In its place was a black iron pipe coupling that someone had tried to use as a spacer.  Apparently they had actually tried to use the scissors jack with that cobbled-up "bearing".  It didn't work well at all.  When they tried jacking the car, it bound up and they kept cranking... to the point that it twisted one rod and broke it right at the rivet.  The short broken piece "above" the rivet stayed wedged in place, thankfully.

I was amazed at how Vance was able to weld the broken pieces together in that tight space up by the rivet.  Looks good as new, and he also "untwisted" the rod so that it lays flat now. 

hemigeno

Here's what I think is a pretty cool detail...

It doesn't take a very sharp-eyed observer to notice that my car is neither T5 or B5.  However, my original marker light bezels had evidence of those exact colors beneath the black paint applied to match the stripe color.  The passenger's side was B5, and the driver's side had the T5.  You could see the paint peeking out around the edges, and near the reflector itself, since Creative didn't do the best job of masking things off.

The third picture is a cropped shot of my passenger's side bezel prior to the restoration, where you can see B5 showing.  That's about how the bezel will look once Vance is done (without the paint chips, of course!).

69_500

Gene,

the car is incredible. I was just looking at the photo's i took of the car and it makes me drool each time I look at them.

Side note on the "YES" and "NO", we did look at a photo while up there of a Dayona tail light assembly with the "YES" wrote on it.

hemigeno

Thanks, Danny - and thanks for trekking north so you could burn up a few more discs taking photos with enough resolution to turn into a billboard  :lol:

I remembered that there was a Daytona photo with "Yes" on it, but couldn't remember which car it was.  It would be hard to believe mine had "No" and still had its switch tab relocated... that doesn't make sense to me, but I suppose stranger things have happened.  The best reason not to have the writing is because the original housing didn't have anything on it.

hemigeno

These next three pictures were my attempt to show something that can be seen in person but is hard to capture in a photo.  First up was a shot of the driprail backside, trying to show that there was paint on the inside edge of the stainless trim.  Creative masked off the trim when they painted the roof, C-pillar and window plug all together, but they didn't cover all of the trim perfectly.  There's a little paint line evident even if you can't see it here.

The middle two pictures are of the quarterpanel edge, which also has a paint mark.  This was the break line where Creative masked off for painting the aforementioned roof, C-pillar and rear window plug.  Again, it's hard to see in the photos, but it is there and you can feel it with your fingernail.

The last photo is a gratuitious shot of the heater box stamp that Troy (DB) loaned me.  Incidentally, Vance is supposed to ship that right back to ya once he's done with it, Troy... Thanks again!

hemigeno

OK, on to some nosecone detail shots.

Take a look at the first two pictures, and you'll see that the black primer of the turn signal mounting bracket was partially taped off along with the turn signal lens, so they consequently got partially shot with body color.

The last two show inside the nosecone itself, where there's plenty of overspray on the bulkhead, wiring and anything else that was exposed to the cooling holes/openings.  I don't know whether it's visible in this shot or not, but the grille itself is only painted body color on the exterior side... all there is on the interior side is what bled/dripped down, and primer.

I'm not sure about the screw heads on the grille frame - I'm thinking they needed to be body color (could be wrong, but was looking at pictures of the Malcom's car)   :scratchchin:

hemi68charger

:rofl:   :brickwall:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

at myself....... To think, I cleaned some of that overspray off my turn signal housings and connector....

Troy
Troy

hemigeno

:lol:    Not the cleanest looking thing ya ever saw, is it?

hemigeno

Some front spoiler shots - and it's black!

I know I'm going to catch royal, holy heck for choosing to have the the spoiler painted black, but both Vance and I ultimately came to the conclusion that it needed to go back to the only color we could prove was on that original part... organosol black.  If you haven't read way back in this thread [[see Page 28]] where that subject was first kicked around, suffice it to say that this is not the only Daytona that has a spoiler which had organosol black (textured) paint on it.  Whether this is a direct connection or not, but those other cars all had black tailstripes/wings too...  Coincidence??   :scratchchin: :shruggy:  The ONLY thing that gives me pause for concern on this subject is that one of the earliest owners of this car seems to think the spoiler was red - but I also had one of those same owners INSIST that the car came new with a Hurst T-shifter handle.   :rotz:

You can also see the license plate bracket, which will actually be removed soon.  Those were shipped loose in the trunk, and since Missouri only used one license plate (mounted at the rear of the car) in 1969, I won't actually need to install this one.  Last week the UPS guy brought me an original Charger front license plate bracket kit with the instruction sheet, which completes the "set" of license plate brackets... the one that Hamtramck put in the trunk before conversion (to fit the Charger front bumper that was later removed and discarded), and the one which fit the nosecone that Creative put there before shipping out to the dealerships.

In the last picture you can see the underside of the nosecone-to-fender seal, and how it was only taped off part of the way down.  Lots of body color paint on the exposed seal surfaces from there on...

That's all I have time for right now.  There are a bunch of pictures yet to post, but I don't have the time to write up anything on them at the moment.

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on February 02, 2010, 09:38:42 PM

The last photo is a gratuitious shot of the heater box stamp that Troy (DB) loaned me.  Incidentally, Vance is supposed to ship that right back to ya once he's done with it, Troy... Thanks again!

Take your time.. I know it's in good hands..... Like a good neighbor.........   ;D
Troy

4spdwing

440 4bbl 4spd Superbird  383 Auto Dart GTSport

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html