News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Valve cover bolts keep backing off.

Started by jb666, October 19, 2008, 02:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb666

This one's been puzzling us.. Crate 472 Hemi, stock chrome valve covers with the hardware that came with them..

I can tighten them to spec and within 20 minutes of the engine running they are loose again.. And I'm talking FINGER TIGHT.

Has anyone ever heard of this?? I'm considering using nylon lock nuts.. They don't heat up enough to melt the Nylon.

firefighter3931

You can use studs and nylock nuts or just (blue) loctire the bolts if that's what you're using as a fastner.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

hutch

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 19, 2008, 09:42:09 PM
You can use studs and nylock nuts or just (blue) loctire the bolts if that's what you're using as a fastner.

Ron

mine back off after every so many months of use.  I was thinking about locktite but have been too lazy.  I just finger tight the wing nuts every time I check my oil and they stay tight that way.
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

resq302

I agree with Ron about the Blue loctite.  I have used it with no problems on my stock steel valve covers with cork/rubber gaskets.  Should probably work for any type of gasket / cover combo though.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto