News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Headliner Removal

Started by EffinDuff, September 22, 2008, 10:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EffinDuff

I am looking to remove the headliner from a 72 Charger I am restoring.  The headliner is in good condition and i am wondering if i can pull it out then install the same headliner when i am done.  I am worried about the liner shrinking or something like that.  Anyone have any luck with this?

Thanks in advance for the help.
-Chris

FLG

With the headliner being so old your most likely going to rip or tear it somewhere. Ive seen them on ebay for 80$ or so...think it might be worth it to just get a new one then go through the hassle of removing and not tearing the old one. Also need to worry about the reinstall and im sure in the future is bound to rip somewhere.

EffinDuff

I think it was replaced on the last resto w/ the previous owner.  I didnt realize they were that affordable.  Might not be a bad idea.

FLG

Yep, there all over ebay for 65-80$ to be honest i dont know what the best company to go with would be

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=1972+charger+headliner&_sacat=See-All-Categorieswould be.

If you do choose one please tell us how it is. I currently just got tired of my headliner sagging and getting hit in the head with crap so ripped the thing out so ill be looking for a replacement in the future.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: EffinDuff on September 22, 2008, 10:37:39 PM
I think it was replaced on the last resto w/ the previous owner.  I didnt realize they were that affordable.  Might not be a bad idea.

If you're existing headliner was installed right and in good condition I would just leave the bows in it , roll it up and reinstall it later.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

JrJohnston

Like 1hot68 said "IF" it was installed right you can remove and replace it at a later time,I have done many that way.And a little tip for you,us a hair drier on low heat to soften it a little to keep from tearing it,just don't get it real close to the headliner as you run a risk of getting it too hot.Keep it atleast 8-10" away and on the lowest heat setting.
Junior Johnston
SCB AutoTrim
2565 B W. Bennett
Springfield,Mo 65807
417-869-7700
www.scbautotrim-mo.com
www.myspace.com/scbautotrim

EffinDuff

Thanks for all the help.  Using the blow dryer sounds like a good idea.  Ill try to remove it without tearing first and all else fails ill buy a new one and install.  If i can get that one out and back in it works best for the wallet.  Even though its only $80ish it all adds up quickly.

Also if i buy a new one i see everyone has their own way of getting the fold marks out.  Is there anything wrong with just hitting the new headliner with a normal iron on low heat? 

Thanks again  :2thumbs:

JrJohnston

Quote from: EffinDuff on September 23, 2008, 01:24:03 PM
Thanks for all the help.  Using the blow dryer sounds like a good idea.  Ill try to remove it without tearing first and all else fails ill buy a new one and install.  If i can get that one out and back in it works best for the wallet.  Even though its only $80ish it all adds up quickly.

Also if i buy a new one i see everyone has their own way of getting the fold marks out.  Is there anything wrong with just hitting the new headliner with a normal iron on low heat?  Thanks again  :2thumbs:

Not a good idea,it will melt it quick.
Junior Johnston
SCB AutoTrim
2565 B W. Bennett
Springfield,Mo 65807
417-869-7700
www.scbautotrim-mo.com
www.myspace.com/scbautotrim

EffinDuff

Thanks for the heads up.  I took another good look at my liner and I'm definately going to swap it out. I will let you guys know where I get it and how it works out. Thanks for all the help.

The70RT

Good idea...buy a new one. My original one was put in before the windshield was and wrapped behind the seal (2ed. gen) Is yours like that too?
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

EffinDuff

I'm pulling the windshield out. Just waiting for the windshield tool because the box cutter was not working well. I want to avoid cracking the windshield.

But I found some things I wasn't too happy about with the liner so its gone.

EffinDuff

The 3rd gen doesn't look like it does that. There are small nails or staples in the front under the molding which pierce the headliner to hold tension. Like little spikes that come out. Ill get a better look when I pull it.

The only thing I'm worried about are fold marks with the new liner and being that winter is coming I won't have the luxery of the hot sun to get wrinkles and folds out.