News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My truck is back...

Started by hemigeno, September 15, 2008, 11:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemigeno

... and it had a "special guest" loaded on it last Thursday.

There's a long story behind why I haven't had my 2-ton truck around much this summer, having mostly to do with poor spark plug choices and a need for a really good tuneup.  Anyway, the engine work was completed last Thursday at Norm Brandes' shop in Silver Lake, WI.  To shake the truck down and put it under a load, they decided to load up Norm's 1965 A990 HemiCoronet.  That's the genuine, Grade-A article on the back of the truck there, boyz...  NOTHING like hearing a 13.5:1 compression Race Hemi fire up with open headers.  Norm hauled the car out to a show-and-shine event in the small town where this particular car sold new!  People there not only remembered the car, but what it used to run on the dragstrip back then (high elevens).  It's capable of running low elevens as it sits right now, although Norm hasn't had it on the track in almost 10 years.  It's spent the last 8 years in Floyd Garrett's museum in Sevierville, TN, and Norm just got it back from Floyd's in the last little bit.

Here's a few eye-candy pictures:

69charger2002

screw the car. that truck is so sweet!
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Todd Wilson

How come you got Power Giant mud flaps?   :icon_smile_big:

Todd

Just 6T9 CHGR

Lookin' good Geno.....I just got finished reading about Goldberg's clone in Mopar Muscle....nice to see the real deal.   How's the truck running now?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

WingCharger

:drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

I have never seen a more pefect picture.

rt green

third string oil changer

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

PocketThunder

Why did you have to go all the way to Silver Lake, WI to get your truck worked on? 
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

TeeWJay426

That's a mighty impressive combo, Geno! Looks GREAT!  :2thumbs:
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

hemigeno

Quote from: Todd Wilson on September 15, 2008, 11:54:13 PM
How come you got Power Giant mud flaps?   :icon_smile_big:

Actually, this truck was built during the Power Giant era.  The truck's original Driver's Manual has that moniker plastered all over it -- in fact, that's how I had the mudflaps made.  I scanned in a logo from the Driver's Manual, and sent that to a place which custom-manufacturers the flaps.  Here's what I sent them:

69*F5*SE

If we could all just have a hauler like that it'd be a perfect world  :yesnod:

hemigeno

Quote from: PocketThunder on September 16, 2008, 10:07:34 AM
Why did you have to go all the way to Silver Lake, WI to get your truck worked on? 

Norm's the only nutcase machinist/engineer I knew crazy enough to take the time to set up a dual-quad carbureted stroked Polysphere engine application on a 2-ton truck   :P   Besides, he has some really, really cool toys as you can see.

I got to be good friends with Norm when he and I worked together on the engine for my R/T.  He provided a BUNCH of hard-to-find engine components for that project, like date-correct block/heads/intake, a brand new Kellogg crank, etc.  Norm was into Hemi stuff back in the early/mid 70s when you could hardly give them away, and his shop attic is full of some pretty rare hardware.  He's the kind of machinist that does his work in a white shirt and never gets it dirty.  That doesn't mean he's not a hands-on mechanic, it means he's a very particular neat-freak.  In my book, that's a plus for an engine mechanic.

It's right at a 6 hour drive from my house to Norm's shop.  Since I don't have to go there just all that often, it's worth the drive for me to work with someone like Norm.

hemigeno

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on September 16, 2008, 06:08:23 AM
Lookin' good Geno.....I just got finished reading about Goldberg's clone in Mopar Muscle....nice to see the real deal.   How's the truck running now?

Thanks, Chris!

The truck is running better from the standpoint of no detonation and no oil drops being blown out the stacks getting all over anything on the back.  As far as power goes, it's about the same.  The difference is, I can actually drop the hammer on it in a hill/pull without any spark knock.  That was the goal.

I'd love to take a car to Carlisle on the truck sometime.  With this latest round of repairs, I'm a lot more confident it'd make the 800+ mile trip out there.  However, I'm thinking the show folks will insist that it be parked with the rest of the trucks rather than with the Chargers where I'd prefer to be.  Oh well, one of these days...

Thanks again,everyone!

TUFCAT

Quote from: 69charger2002 on September 15, 2008, 11:27:56 PM
trav

I'd say its the other way around  :drool5:  - sorry Geno...but the A990 Coronet is SWEET! Actually, they're both outrageously cool in their own way!  :2thumbs:

Ghoste

Me too, always loved the A990's.

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

41husk

Geno, just leave the coronet on the truck and brieng it to Monster Mopar.  I'm sure you can find some one to drive the hemi charger for you. (like me) :2thumbs: :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

hemigeno

Quote from: TUFCAT on September 16, 2008, 12:54:52 PM
Quote from: 69charger2002 on September 15, 2008, 11:27:56 PM
trav

I'd say its the other way around  :drool5:  - sorry Geno...but the A990 Coronet is SWEET! Actually, they're both outrageously cool in their own way!  :2thumbs:

I agree totally.  As much as I like my own vehicles, Norm's A990 is a fantastic piece of history and one awesome sounding & looking ride all rolled into one.

Quote from: 41husk on September 17, 2008, 07:34:42 PM
Geno, just leave the coronet on the truck and brieng it to Monster Mopar. I'm sure you can find some one to drive the hemi charger for you. (like me) :2thumbs: :cheers:

I was trying to talk Norm into letting me keep the Coronet for 8 years like Floyd Garrett did - heck, Floyd hasn't given him near as much business for his machine shop as I have.  Somehow or another, Norm wasn't buying into my logic the way I had hoped...   :lol: 

Unfortunately, I had to help them unload the Coronet so I could replace it on the back with the 2004 Stratus I drove up there.  It just doesn't have the same effect.

Charger_Fan

Geno, that truck is just THEE POOP! :icon_smile_cool:  I've just gotta build a cool old truck like that one of these days.
Thanks for the pics. :cheers:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Shakey

I always liked that photo you had with your red Charger sitting on the back.  Very nice!