News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

XX engine on Craigslist

Started by Charger1970, April 26, 2008, 11:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

41husk

I hope this guy grows some morals and lets the power plant go back home!!!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

PocketThunder

Quote from: hemigeno on September 02, 2008, 10:12:09 PMYep, you're correct tantop.  I neglected to spell out that the full VIN stampings started with the beginning of the '69 model year - which began in August of 1968.  It ended sometime in January '69, depending on which Assembly Plant you're talking about.

:cheers:

What happened after January '69?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

moparstuart

I fired off rick an email hopefully he will contact him again ?

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemigeno

Quote from: PocketThunder on September 03, 2008, 07:51:19 AM
Quote from: hemigeno on September 02, 2008, 10:12:09 PMYep, you're correct tantop.  I neglected to spell out that the full VIN stampings started with the beginning of the '69 model year - which began in August of 1968.  It ended sometime in January '69, depending on which Assembly Plant you're talking about.

For whatever reason, they truncated the VIN to just the year & plant designator, and the six digit sequence number (e.g. 9B412543 for my Daytona).  Prior to that, you could tell what exact model of car the engine/tranny came from.  After that, you couldn't really tell what it came from unless you knew the full VIN of the car with that sequence number from that assembly plant from that model year.

Typical Chrysler... something works fine, but they change it anyway   :brickwall:

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on September 03, 2008, 10:20:52 AM
Quote from: PocketThunder on September 03, 2008, 07:51:19 AM

For whatever reason, they truncated the VIN to just the year & plant designator, and the six digit sequence number (e.g. 9B412543 for my Daytona).  Prior to that, you could tell what exact model of car the engine/tranny came from.  After that, you couldn't really tell what it came from unless you knew the full VIN of the car with that sequence number from that assembly plant from that model year.

Typical Chrysler... something works fine, but they change it anyway   :brickwall:

Geno,,
Isn't that what MaMopar started to do with the stampings in 1970? I could swear that my '70 v-code Charger's stamping has the format like your Daytona's block.. Maybe this was a precursor to the '70 model year? After all, the Daytona was "supposed" to be a '70 model....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemigeno

Paul, all the assembly plants started doing the truncated VIN stamping sometime in December '68 or January '69 (I know the St. Louis plant was stamping full VINs into at least the 2nd or 3rd week of 1969).  That included all the models, not just Daytonas.  I've seen a number of later-year Charger R/Ts and other B-bodies with the same shortened format.  Another example is the fact that all of the A12 6-pack cars have the 9Axxxxxx format - none have the full VIN that I know of.  It wasn't any special treatment given to the Daytonas.

After the mess of 1968 (did they stamp S.O. numbers or VINs?  Depends on who you ask), someone at Chrysler obviously figured that the full VIN was the way to go.  Stamping the full VIN probably took too much time on the part of the burp gun operator to spin the dials to the right numbers/letters for each model, since they intentionally mixed up their car lines in sequence to help with parts supplies.  Stamping just the model year and the plant meant that they only had to change the last few number dials regularly.  It very well could have been an accounting move to save money by truncating the stamping.  Same way with the radiator yoke and trunk lip stamps - why do the full stamp when the partial stamp does the trick?  Makes it harder for us now, but I doubt that thought even crossed their minds.

They stuck with the same format for a good while after the half-way point of 1969 or so, guess it worked for them.

PocketThunder

Damn, i learn something new everyday.

thanks Gene  :yesnod:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: pettybird on September 02, 2008, 09:58:52 PM
principle or not rick needs to buy the damn thing for $1500.

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!  ...at $1500 somebody will buy it if he doesn't
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

69_500

If it is at $1,500 then I'm sure rick will pick it up. I think that he had offered $1,500 for it previously, but at the time the owner of the block was thinking $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: 69_500 on September 03, 2008, 06:18:25 PM
If it is at $1,500 then I'm sure rick will pick it up. I think that he had offered $1,500 for it previously, but at the time the owner of the block was thinking $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

The ad says $1500 on my screen... time is running out!
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

Ghoste

That is considerably less than before.  Could he be coming around?

WingCharger

So it is know what 500 gets this engine? It has been matched? Any way, that engine is worth a pretty penny.

WingCharger

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

pettybird

someone PM me his number and i'll bust his chops tomorrow. 

i had it in my last phone, but it died...

moparstuart

69_500

moparstuart

Quote from: 69_500 on September 04, 2008, 08:24:46 PM
So did ya call him today Doug?

i would have but doug volenteered and i didnt figure i needed a 12 hour phone coversation  :smilielol: :smilielol:

C500

"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

C500

"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

moparstuart

Ghoste

Old Moparz

It's funny how this old engine core with an unknown history & condition is still hanging around the classifieds.  :lol:

For a 440 HP to be sitting around all these years without being used, I'll still go with my first post & say it's scrap metal. 
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry