News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

NEED HELP FOR MODS ON A 96 CUMMINS DIESEL

Started by daytonalo, September 15, 2008, 09:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daytonalo

THIS IS MY FIRST DIESEL, IT IS A 96 RAM QUAD CAB , LONG BED 2 WHEEL DRIVE WITH ONLY 120 K , IT NEEDS TLC . I ONLY PAID 1800 FOR IT  ! RUNS PERFECT , BUT NEED SOME HELP WITH SOME CHEAP MODS LIKE FUEL PLATE, EX . AND GOVERNOR.

LARRY

Todd Wilson

Go here and start reading.......

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/

The old 12 valves can be turned up fairly easy. You can adjust the fuel plate now and get more out of it. You could replace the governor springs. Air intake system is another mod they like to do.

Todd

daytonalo

I was just on there , I was hoping for the short version , really don't want to make project out of it .

Larry

Todd Wilson

Quote from: daytonalo on September 15, 2008, 10:29:40 PM
I was just on there , I was hoping for the short version , really don't want to make project out of it .

Larry

Adjust your fuel plate and put on a new air intake system.

Todd

daytonalo

Do I adjust the original plate and to what specs ? What about ex ? If I drill many one inch holes in air-box , wouild that work

Larry

WingCharger

Quote from: daytonalo on September 16, 2008, 06:47:38 AM
Do I adjust the original plate and to what specs ? What about ex ? If I drill many one inch holes in air-box , wouild that work

Larry

Check this out:
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/dodge/0803dp_1989_dodge_ram/index.html

It is for a '89 Cummins, but it might give you an idea. ;)
You should really get that magazine! It is great for anybody who has an intrest in Diesel Performance.

daytonalo

It is for a 96 intercooled turbo, I bought it to pull my backhoe and race boat

WingCharger

Quote from: daytonalo on September 16, 2008, 07:00:54 AM
It is for a 96 intercooled turbo, I bought it to pull my backhoe and race boat

Try the forum for that magazine. The link is at the bottom of the page in the small words. There is a lot of info there.

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

daytonalo

You must only own a wimpy gas powered truck ! There is an easy 200 Ft pounds for almost free !

WingCharger

Quote from: daytonalo on September 16, 2008, 08:30:39 AM
You must only own a wimpy gas powered truck ! There is an easy 200 Ft pounds for almost free !

YEAH!!! GO DIESEL!!!! :punkrocka:
Hey, I thought you were going to swap a cummins into your bronco so you didnt have to buy a new truck????
You mentioned that in the thread about Rene kicking your butt "Jersey Style"!

daytonalo

Your right and I still might do that ! But for 1800.00  I bought this this Ram that will tow 13500 lbs , with the air on ! I also need it to pull my race boat and backhoe .

Larry

Charger-Bodie

Actually I own a 98 12 valve Cummins Dodge ( thats turned up)  :coolgleamA:

But youres will have plenty power without any mods.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

daytonalo

My truck is ugly , it is a long bed , king cab , 2 wd, all I want to do is work with it . I need some info on Fuel plate , will it decrease drivabilty?
How much torque can I get out of it without hurting it ?

Larry

WingCharger

Quote from: 1hot68 on September 16, 2008, 09:03:59 AM

Actually I own a 98 12 valve Cummins Dodge ( thats turned up)  :coolgleamA:

But youres will have plenty power without any mods.

YEAH!!!! :punkrocka: :punkrocka: :punkrocka:!!!! I like Cummins Dodge truck from 91-now.  :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA:

firefighter3931

Quote from: daytonalo on September 16, 2008, 09:14:49 AM
My truck is ugly , it is a long bed , king cab , 2 wd, all I want to do is work with it . I need some info on Fuel plate , will it decrease drivabilty?
How much torque can I get out of it without hurting it ?

Larry

Hopefully you have a manual transmission if you're looking to add power.....the older automatics don't take too well to increased tq/hp.  :P

The later (2005 & up) 48re auto trans is much better suited to engine mods but even it has it's limits.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

daytonalo

It is an Auto , but being 2wd will help I hope without the extra weight of 4 wd stuff . Does anyone know if the Cummins will bolt up to any Mopar trans or doe the Cummins have a special Bell?

Larry

Charger-Bodie

WingCharger

daytonalo

WHY ???? It just ahad a under warranty trans 30 ago and it shifts perfect !! I bought for two reasons , tow my Back-hoe and pull my race boat , for only 1800 how could I lose ?

Larry

WingCharger

You asked about a tranny, so I figured if you are asking about it, something must be up? :shruggy:

daytonalo

Thanks for your help ! I know muscle cars and Race boats inside and out , but Diesels , I'm fucking lost !!!

Larry

Steve P.

I don't understand why you want to hike up the power?? It's a Cummins diesel. Plenty of power from the factory. Have you hooked up to either trailer yet to see how much better it tows than your gas motors??

Two huge points.

1) It's a much longer wheel base than your Bronco so it will be a much better ride and your control of the trailer will be tons better.

2) IT'S A DIESEL!!!!!   If it was an old FORD/International diesel I could understand wanting to turn up the power. I have yet to hear ANYONE bitch about the power a Cummins gives...
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

daytonalo

I would never compare this to my Bronco ! Please give me more credit than that . I just have a bunch a friends with mildly souped up Diesels , they get better MPG and are very quick compared to stock . Let me be very clear , I only want to install new fuel plate and pick up 200 ft pounds . and from what I read will in no way hurt anything because these engines are so under tuned .

Larry

Steve P.

Quote from: daytonalo on September 16, 2008, 10:27:48 PM
I would never compare this to my Bronco ! Please give me more credit than that .

Larry

That was not my point. My point was that all the way around you are going completely different. Many years ago we built a buddies Bronco into a tow vehicle. We did much for torque and suspension. It had plenty of balls, but the wheel base sucked for hauling a 28 foot enclosed trailer with a "C - econo" funny car inside. We pulled the same trailer loaded with a heavier car with my old F-250 Camper Special x-cab and it was a completely new world. Gearing. torque, weight and wheel base make a WORLD of difference.

Try to remember that when anyone posts on any site others are reading it and learning from it. Not everything is always directed only for you..  :2thumbs:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

daytonalo

I still have my Bronco , My s-10 4 wd tows better than my Bronco , and it only has 4.3 .

Larry

Todd Wilson

Why dont you just use the truck. Shut the OD off when you are pulling and go to work with it. Since you dont want to read up on how to do anything get your buddys to come over to help you if you think you need more power.

Its all pretty simple. How much power do you want and how much $$ do you got. Adding more power adds more problems to deal with which adds up to more $$$$ Moving the fuel plate will increase your power to a point but if you dont have a good intake to get the air to the motor its pointless. If you dont have the big exhaust to get it away its pointless. Then you got to get a different turbo. You get bigger injectors then you got fuel supply issues to deal with and then you rip the guts out of the auto tranny because you are pushing 1000lbs of tork thru it. Then you got to watch pressures and EG temps. 

Dodge and Cummins had things dialed in for the truck to give you a long life of operation.  Few shut the OD off when pulling and then wonder why the tranny goes out. That stock 12 valve would be rattlin along doing its job in all sorts of weather conditions long after all the turned up diesels are gone.

Todd

daytonalo

They offered to help ,one problem , they own Duramax . I just want A LITTLE MORE , NOT A 13 SECOND MACHINE .