News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Now I've done it!

Started by Blusmbl, October 24, 2005, 08:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blusmbl

So... Sunday I spent most of the day dismantling my Charger. Took it for one last spin around the block, in which the brakes failed and it seemed down on power.  :icon_smile_blackeye: It was time... so now, a day later, the front clip is off, EVERYTHING in the engine compartment is out, the interior is nothing but a dashboard and some door panels, the trans is out, and tomorrow when I get home the cherry picker's being hooked up, 2 bolts will be removed and out comes the tired 440.

I sat back this evening, covered in grease and blood from my knuckles, contemplating what exactly I just did. I took apart a more or less functioning automobile.... and scattered the parts in little plastic bags strewn across the garage. I'm not sure why I bothered, just about every bolt I looked at and thought "there's no way I could bolt this back on the car!"

10/23/05 was the end of my Charger as I've known it. Either it will be rebuilt to glorious specs, with a nice 499" EZ headed roller camm'd big block, slick shifted 4 speed guided by a V-gate, and a completely retro interior and exterior..... or the bodywork will get done, I'll lose sight of the finish, and sell it as a half-completed project.  :icon_smile_dead:

I hope it's the former. Either way it's going to takes years, but it was time I did something about my poor, rusty old Dodge. I'm scared, nervous, excited, and I think this is single-handedly the stupidest thing I've ever done.

I can't wait for progress.   :icon_smile_cool:
Caintmakit Racing: Craptastic!
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram
-looking for another '68-'69 Charger

69charger2002

good luck with it and don't get easily discouraged. when times get tough/frustrating. walk away from it for a week or 2. don't ever sell it just because you get aggravated..
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

cudaken

Been there and still doing it. I was not easly discouraged but getting close now. One of the reason till lately I never gave up was for the fact I did one thing at a time. Never took her apart to the point she was morden art.

First I freshed up the old BB, then did the Body and paint (did that my self) then the trunk, interior, brakes, front end and finally yanked the engine. I attacked the weakes points first then went from there.

We will help keep the fire, the Mopar fire lite in you, that is what the board is about. Even with the $7,000 set back I have yet to total give up thanks to the great people here on the site.

Hell my 69 Charger breaking in half never made the flame go out, just a little dimmer. ;D

Cuda Ken
I am back

firefighter3931

Nick, you're doing the right thing ! :yesnod:   That car deserves nothing less and it will be worth the effort when you get done. I started on mine 3 years ago and it should be done this spring. The engine is built, the new dana is built and the trans is going in for a freshening this winter. The body is down to the shell and in epoxy primer but it's close to being painted. Don't get discouraged if things move along slowly...take your time and build it the way you want to. I'm liking the sounds of your planned engine combo....talk about bringing a bazooka to a gunfight !   :devil: You might want to consider a bar for that badboy...you'll be needing it !   :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Charger_Croatia

I'm at the same situation right now, although my car is '73.
Interesting , I got the same feelings from time to time (do I really need this....?)  :ahum:

And I think I'll follow cudaken advice and do worse things first, on my car it is body and interior. Engine and transmition was not and during small initial run after I got the car here, and breaks were OK.

And 69charger2002 is right, few times I just walked away for a week or so, until I got again desire for "sweat, blood and tears..." :D
'73 Charger with 400 (under restore)
2018 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid AWD Blue Sport

Blusmbl

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 24, 2005, 10:16:49 PM
I'm liking the sounds of your planned engine combo....talk about bringing a bazooka to a gunfight !   :devil: You might want to consider a bar for that badboy...you'll be needing it !   :icon_smile_big:

I'm hoping to go 125 mph (or close to it) in the quarter.  Don't want to run 9's, because I'm assuming that's well beyond the capabilities of the chrysler 4 speed, and I don't want to put a full rollcage in it, either.  But, a 6 point is probably in my best interest, and I think that's legal to low 10's. :D  I already have the block I'm going to build, rods and a crank... now all I need are pistons and heads.  :icon_smile_cool:

I'm imagining that my project isn't going to go all that quickly, just because my wallet can't afford anything else.  A friend of mine is doing the bodywork, but I'm doing everything else.  I don't think I'm going to get burned out, but I couldn't help but realize how immense of a project it was after I saw the car in 1.5 million pieces.  :icon_smile_big:

I'm glad you guys are here for motivation!
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram

Shakey

Be patient and do it right the first time.  It is nice when you are working with all of the pieces off of the car.

41husk

I am putting back together the Challenger after dismanteling for a winter project 9 years ago.  It did not eat a dimes worth of groceries the entire time.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

CB

well a pic or two would be nice.
Good luck and have a great time restoring!
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Charger_Fan

That's what I was thinking, there's a severe lack of PICS here! ;D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Blusmbl

I have plenty of before pics, none at the current state though.  Gimme a day or two, my digicam is MIA.  :P
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram

firefighter3931

Nick, if you're looking for rollbar ideas check out this thread.....i posted some pics and details of the bar that i had installed in mine. It's pretty much what you're looking for.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,1940.0.html

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Blusmbl

I can't tell for sure... is the main hoop laid back from vertical at all (to match the window trim when it's rolled up)?  Rich did that with his and it looks pretty good.  However, yours looks perfect!  Especially the door bars, I love it.  I haven't seen a set done like that, that retains the armrests and window cranks!

Nick
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram

'CUDA360

You want to make sure the sidebars pass by you body between your shoulder and you elbow. Tracks can give you a hard time if the bar is too low...

firefighter3931

Hi Nick, the main hoop isn't laid back...but it is partially covered by the window chrome....a little different than Zippy's bar. Asked about laying the bar back but the chassis builder didn't want to do it so i went with his recommendation. I had the front bars contoured to keep the stock crank handles as you saw in the pics. He also talked me into the 45* downbars...i was originally gonna do just a 6pt. He felt the added triangulation of the down bars tied into the frame connecters was worth it and i wasn't about to argue with a guy who builds rail dragsters from scratch.   :rotz:

I really like the rear prostreet bars....very slick and neat looking. The stock interior is going back in so i wanted the least obtrusive bar possible for a clean look. S&W sells the prostreet bars but you have to ask for them when you order the 8pt kit...it was an extra $40.00 and well worth it.   :icon_smile_cool:

Ron

Vainglory, Esq.

Do it right.  And be sure to paint it green again. :P  Anyway, sounds like you've made a lot of progress.  Just keep at it and it'll be fine.

Oh, and I've heard that classic car insurance is very hard to get with a roll bar - which bothers me because I put one in mine in anticipation of further racing mods that will take me to the 10s.  You might want to check up on that.

Blusmbl

Ouch.  Not a green fan, I see?  :P

I guess all it takes is time and money.  And let me tell you.... I've got plenty of time.  :icon_smile_dead:

Got the motor and more of the interior out last night, and also pulled the vinyl top off.  It was really, really disgusting under there!

I showed pictures of your cage to my fabricator buddy at work, and he seems to think it would be easy as pie to do.  Now I just have to decide if I want to slip that past tech.  I definitely don't want to go any quicker than high 10's, but I believe the bar is required for anything 11.49 and quicker.
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram

Blusmbl

-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram

Charger_Fan

Cool beans, you're on your way! :thumbs:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)