News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stroker kit or buy the parts seperate

Started by snoc653, August 25, 2008, 11:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoc653

I'm building a stroker in a 440.  Would it be better to mix and match, buying parts seperately or go with one of the already grouped stroker kits?  How good is the ballance if you buy the kit?  Or who's kit would be the one to buy?   I was looking at a Scat kit, is this a decent set?  The goal is between 506 and 512 cu in when done.  Thanks in advance.

General_01

I recently stroked my 383 to a 496. I bought the 440 Source kit already balanced. My engine builder just polished the crank. He also took .010 off the top of the pistons to match the deck and had to do some work on the block to get the rods to clear the block. I would think a kit is the way to go.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Ghoste

It'd be hard to beat the kits out there today.  There are a few killer deals out there, 440 Source, Muscle Motors, Mancini...

ryan053

If a machine shop is assembling the motor i would have them balance it.  i got a kit from muscle motors and it was way off.  i dont remeber the specifics but i remember something like 100 grams coming off the crankshaft.

71 B5383

Just had a buddy bring his 76 Cordoba over yesterday with his fresh 512,he used the cars original 400,and put a 4spd set up in it from a 71 Charger,(very cool,they never had 4spds for those).He used a 440 Source kit. Says his machinist was impressed with how well the balancing and macining was. The only problem they had,was they needed to cut to make clearance for the rod bearings I believe. But I believe they have something on the website about this very thing so the assistance is there. Other than that he had no problems,went together nice,and the thing just sounds unbelieveably mean,even just sitting and idling you can tell it is ready tear some shit up. Oh yeah,he's using Eddy heads,Stealths came out right after the build. I would definitely go with the 440 Source kit.   :Twocents:   :2thumbs:
Should've Kept My '66,That Was 6 Cars Ago
Currently-
  Rust Free 71(383,GB5,HardTop) Charger
  Soon To Be An FJ5 Stock 69 440 Magnum'd 3.55'd
   Correct "LOOKING" Super Wanna Bee
        (by the way,gotta 71 Super Bee hood 4 sale?)
           some cash and my 72 Power Bulge hood?

charger_fan_4ever

I assume aftermarket heads are going on this motor? The extra cubes will need more air in and out to take advantage of the extra cubes. IE heads,intake,holley/proform dp or hp,headers, cam with the right valve events. :cheers:

Take a bone stock everything 440 Hp and dyno it or i prefer make a pass. Then take the same motor and just add the extra cubes(stroker kit) you'd be surprised how little if any would be gained.

Add some free flowing heads,intake,carb,headers, correct cam and the stroker will be a beast.

snoc653

The machinist says for the 512 the stock heads can be worked to flow enough.  Heat won't be a problem for this motor.  It has a Wieand tunnel ram and it's looking like a Heilbron 4port to top it.  Setting it up for E85 but if it's unreliable will go straight alcohol. 

BLAM

Wow!  Stock heads will always be the air restriction in a 512" build period.  Don't know what magic that machinist uses?

If the stock heads could be worked to meet the needs of a 512 the cost to work them will far exceed a set of after market aluminum heads.

Read some of the 512" Stroker build up discussions on here, there are many, and you will learn a lot.

Save your money and do some research here first!
RLTW - "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell

firefighter3931

Quote from: BLAM on September 15, 2008, 11:48:43 AM
Wow!  Stock heads will always be the air restriction in a 512" build period.  Don't know what magic that machinist uses?

If the stock heads could be worked to meet the needs of a 512 the cost to work them will far exceed a set of after market aluminum heads.

Read some of the 512" Stroker build up discussions on here, there are many, and you will learn a lot.

Save your money and do some research here first!

:iagree: the stock heads won't be enough for that build....tep up to an aftermarket aluminum casting.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs