News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The best way to rebuild a 727?

Started by miller, September 11, 2008, 05:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miller

We rebuilding an old 727 trans to put into the charger, and I'm wondering what is the best way to go about doing it? Should I keep it stock or is there a better route to go, I've heard some people say they have reverse manual valve bodies in them... I'm guessing that means the shift pattern is reversed and you have to shift it... whats your input on this whole thing?

Thanks Miller

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

John_Kunkel

Yes, the manual valve body has to be manually shifted and it will take off and stay in any gear selected. Because the throttle pressure is pinned wide open they shift quite violently at all speeds, your choice but that gets old in a hurry to some.

A wiser choice would be a rebuild with upgraded friction materials and a good reprogramming kit like the TransGo TF-2.

I prefer Macko as a parts source, quality parts at reasonable prices:

http://www.bulkpart.com
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Musicman

miller

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 11, 2008, 06:13:10 PM

Yes, the manual valve body has to be manually shifted and it will take off and stay in any gear selected. Because the throttle pressure is pinned wide open they shift quite violently at all speeds, your choice but that gets old in a hurry to some.

A wiser choice would be a rebuild with upgraded friction materials and a good reprogramming kit like the TransGo TF-2.

What does the reprogramming kit do?

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

RD

Quote from: miller on September 11, 2008, 06:33:00 PM
Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 11, 2008, 06:13:10 PM

What does the reprogramming kit do?

agree with john, of course... and the reprogramming kit is a "shift" kit.  firms up shifts so there is no prolonged slippage when shifting from 1-2-D.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

375instroke

Manual sux on the street.  As said before, full power shifts all the time get old very fast.  I say a TF-2, 4.2 kickdown lever, and at least 5 front clutches.

62 Max

Quote from: 375instroke on September 20, 2008, 01:07:15 AM
Manual sux on the street.  As said before, full power shifts all the time get old very fast.  I say a TF-2, 4.2 kickdown lever, and at least 5 front clutches.

I agree except the five clutch drum unless you are building a race transmissiom.The drum alone will cost you three time the price of the rebuild kit  :Twocents:

John_Kunkel

With available parts it's possible to get five discs in a standard width front drum but I question the need.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

375instroke

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 20, 2008, 04:49:40 PM

With available parts it's possible to get five discs in a standard width front drum but I question the need.
Do you know the pros and cons of using 5 front clutches?  They add very little as far as cost.  I have not used them, so comments are welcome.  The 727 I built was with 4 stock clutches, a 5.0 lever, and a TF-2.  With extra power, I would think 25% more surface would be beneficial.

RD

may be more beneficial, but the benefits would be negligible (to the point of not noticed) in a motor with less than 400 hp.. heck even 500 hp.

there really is not a need in this particular build IMO.

they add very little in cost if you are doing it yourself and you have the knowhow and parts on hand... but if you are farming it out... there really is no such thing as "very little cost" like he is in this case.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander