News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 air filter assembly

Started by Gene66, November 17, 2007, 03:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gene66

hi,
can anyone help, im not sure what type of air filter assembly should be on my 1968 charger. i know they used either a dual snorkle or the 14" x 3" unsilenced assembly, but which should be on my car.
the build date is 15 april 1968, dont know if that will help.

thanks, gene.

Ghoste

Gene66

sorry about that, its a 383 with a 4bbl carter.

cheers

Ghoste

I believe your car should have the unsilenced one.

694spdRT

Was the dual snorkle used on California emission cars? I bought an original '68 383 4bbl out of a Newport and it had the dual snorkle air cleaner on it.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

BLAM

In 1968 the 383 / 2bbl had a single snorkel air cleaner assembly, the 383 / 4bbl had the dual snorkel air cleaner assembly, and the 440 Magnum had the unsilenced air cleaner assembly.  California emission assemblies were dual snorkel setups, but didn't start until 1969.
RLTW - "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell

Ghoste

I think the later build 68 cars went to a round unsilenced one on the 383 four barrels, did they not?

BLAM

Honestly anything is possible on a 60s assembly line especially at the end of the year when they start running out of some parts.  So it is very possible some 383 cars shipped with the unsilenced assembly, but the 383 1968 Charger had a spec as I described.
RLTW - "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell

Gene66

thanks for that guys, dual snorkel setup it is.

oldkimmer

......A/C cars had the dual snorkle, the rest of the 4bbls had the unsilenced, your choice.......kim........
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

triple_green

my 68 383 AVS 4 barrell was built in early may 68. Had  the unsilenced aircleaner and no pie tin. Remember they started implementing the 69 options early because they sold so many more charger than they were expecting.
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Charger Steve

It is hard to find a dual snorkle air cleaner for a 68 383-4bbl. Back in the day most of them were pitched in favor of the smaller unsilenced one or an aftermarket one. If you can find one in nice shape expect to pay around $300 for it. Also they did not come with a pie tin and there are no aftermarket ones available that I know of. I switch air cleaners back and forth on my 68 Charger 383 4bbl. but like the unsilenced one better because it looks better having the pie tin on it. If there are pie tins made for the dual snorkle I would like to where to buy one. I know you can buy decals that say 383 magnum but they just don't look right. This whole air cleaner mystery thing is something I have been researching for a long time but can't seem to find any answers that are 100% the real thing. Thanks for the posts on this and if anyone has any more information on this subject please post up.
Charger Steve

Charger Steve

This is an up-date on this air cleaner subject since my last post. The c body 383/440 4bll. (68 and 69) used a different dual snorkle air cleaner than the b body cars. The c body dual snorkles had a smaller top cone diameter than the b bodies, and did not have the pie tin. The b body dual snorkles had a larger top cone and the pie tins from the unsilenced air cleaner will fit on this air cleaner. I am looking for one of these b body dual snorkle air cleaners and have for sale or trade one from a c body.
Charger Steve

Dans 68

Steve.

Did you ever find your dual snorkel air cleaner? I'm looking for one also for a '68 383 4-bbl, and believe that the correct part number is as described below (Charger, Road runner & Super Bee Restoration Guide). Let me know your thoughts.  :2thumbs:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259