News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Has fuel prices made you drive less?

Started by The70RT, September 04, 2008, 09:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The70RT

For me - yes. I have put less than 3,000 miles on my daily driver since early May. I even went on the Kansas MoPar cruise and a 500 mile vacation trip in June out of state. If it wasn't for that I would be at only 2K in the last 4 months. I have been filling up every 3-4 weeks. I have an 01 Ram with a 26 gallon tank. I just won't feed the coffers anymore. I am sure some people have a longer comute to work or live out side the city though. I only live about 3-4 miles from work.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bull

Way less. I ride my bike or take the bus to work pretty much every day now.

1969chargerrtse

Just a little.  I hear that oil is under 110 a barrel an expected to drop to as low as 80 a barrel.  That'll be nice.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

PocketThunder

Yes.  I even sold my house in May and moved closer to work!   :yesnod:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

charger_fan_4ever

unfortuneatley yes.

My daily driver a fair bit less. With diesel here @ $ 5.20 for a us gallon my powerstroke is only used now when its hauling something. So its parked 805 of the time. Since the new "green" push a couple years ago it costs $375 to plate the truck. An extra $150 over regular plate fees cause the engine is larger than a 4.0L.

Blown70

Yes, and NO, I have thought of things I need at the store, and not made the trip because I do live out of town a bit so it would cost me $7 in gas to go there and back.

Most certinaly I do plan my tirps to make them more efficient.

BUt again, I have when out for a few rides/cruises just becasue I have wanted to.  :2thumbs:

moparstuart

I have gone to more shows this summer and further away shows.  Several of them though we have gone to in the shelby charger to save gas !
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

41husk

I think gas prices have dictated staying local rather than driving to buy hardware, groceries, clothing etc.  As far as driving the Chargers, gas prices really make no difference, wife and kids and just being busy in genneral sure has cut down on miles this season :brickwall:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

471_Magnum

I use to drive my toys to work once or twice a week weather permitting. I figured I was burning a gallon each direction. The $4/gallon business effectively put a stop to it.

My daily driver gets 20+ mpg around town, and burns cheaper gas. You just can't argue with that.

I might drive the GTX once every two weeks now. I miss it.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Brock Samson

The high cost of premium gas about 4.80 per gallon here meant i only took the R/V out three times this year. it only gets 7 MPG,..

The Charger gets 7-10 and there were a few times I took my daily driver instead.
  The road runner i excercise every two weeks just to keep it from sitting too long.
  So I'd say yeah, perhaps a 10% reduction in my over all driving, in the last 14 Mos. but since i retired all my driving habbits have changed a bit,    like no more 14 mile commute five times a week, and i hardly ever get to the south bay area like i was doing,so over the past three years my driving has dropped approx. 40% in miles driven overall.

Neal_J

No change at all.  I'm extremely fortunate to have a daily commute of < 5 miles.

Neal

Joshua

I've been driving @ the same, if not more, just not my Charger (see below...hahaha)......rather than buy hotrod parts, I buy gas.....

bakerhillpins

As a family, yes. We live approx 15mi on way from any endpoint. (work/grocery store/etc) We consistently group shopping trips into a single trek where that was only done if it was convenient in the past.

From a commuting standpoint. Technically no, The commute is the same, I drive further as the office moved but I work a day at home which offsets the distance change.

I have been commuting on my motorcycle for just about 7 years now so at least during the summer its way more fun and less painful. This winter is going to get interesting.

Bryan
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

billssuperbird

Dans 68

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

twenty mike mike

68rt

Chad L. Magee

Not really.  I have to drive a certain amount each week regardless of the price of gas.  The funny thing is that last month I did get to carpool with a neighbor to pick up some stuff 120 miles away using his vehicle (he needed my help loading materials).  Luckly, I did not have to pay for the gas on that one.  :smilielol:  He has a 2005 H2 Hummer that gets 8 mpg on a good day and it cost him $160 for the fuel on that trip......
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

FJMG

Not at all, course up here in Canada we've been paying $4.50 - $5.00/ u.s. gal. for years, so your gas is still cheaper. We just finished an 8500 mile family holiday throughout the western U.S. in a 97 Ram 2500 4x4 with the 5.9 gas engine. We took the truck instead of the car due to my success in convincing my wife that there is much more room in the truck for camping resulting in a $100.00 a night savings in hotel fees. Of course the last couple of days of the holiday were spent filling the truck with car parts that I "needed" (a little more persuasion required those last couple of days).

mikesbbody

not really, i just have to pay more now but i still drive the same distance which is never very far.

Rolling_Thunder

nope...    neither of my mopars run so i didnt drive them in the first place    :'(
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Ghoste

Haven't had the opportunity to let it affect me much.  I live close enough to work that I walk or ride a bike most of the time anyway, the downside to that is that I have been working so much the last few months that I have hardly driven the Charger this year.  I've hardly driven the "daily" drivers this summer.

KMPX2

I would say I avg. the same as last year. But my daily driver was replaced with one that gets 2x better mpg.

LoneStar Mopar

The price of gas hasn't slowed me down with my daily driver. I drive a volkwagon TDI (Turbo Diesel) that gets about 45 miles per gallon on average. On top of that I make my own diesel fuel from used vegetable oil I get from two local restaurants. Kind of a pain in the neck to collect oil and turn it into diesel, but the price is right. Costs about a buck a gallon to make.

Brock Samson

interesting, does your exhaust smell like french fries?.. 

LoneStar Mopar

Ha. Yeah I was under that impression as well. No my exhaust doesnt smell like any food at all!! I dont know who keeps spreading that rumor. Once you start the chemical process everything just smells like chemicals. It doesnt smell like food and it doesn't smell like petroleum diesel. My garage however smells like a mexican restaurant. Wonder if its the 300 gallons of unprocessed used cooking oil?

Joshua

Quote from: Brock Samson on September 05, 2008, 11:15:11 AM
interesting, does your exhaust smell like french fries?.. 
We had a piece of machinery at work come in that was using similar stuff.....I was wondering why I was getting the urge for Mickey D's fries...hahaha! :smilielol: