News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

new vibration / sound cause?

Started by RECHRGD, August 30, 2008, 12:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

I've picked up a new noise up front.  It's a ticking sound that seems to increase with engine speed.  I can't see anything obvious causing it, but did notice that there is a little play (in and out) where the pulley goes into the power steering pump.  I never noticed that before and wonder if that may be the source of the problem.  I'll pull the belt the next time I drive the car and see if the noise goes away.  Is some play in the pulley normal?  Thanks, Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

NYCMille

Could be a bunch of stuff...

- exhaust leak
- cracked header
- valve train

... or maybe you just have a rock stuck in your tire tread, had that happen to me and drove  me crazy for about 60 miles...

RECHRGD

Thanks Mike!  The valvetrain is noisy after the new cam/lifter/rocker arm swap.  This noise is a little different and seems to go away under power.  At first I thought it was the speedometer cable, but the needle is not jumping and I couldn't feel any vibration in the cable itself while driving.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

FLG

hot? cold? both? Does it do it just driving or also standing still? Loose flex plate bolt could be the culprit.

Runner

loose converter bolt was my first thought.   you went solid lifter cam didnt you? id just my lash for piece of mind  if its not a converter bolt.   also ive had the dust cover on the tranny get hit before with out having a loose converter bolt when it didint get installed correctly.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

RECHRGD

Sorry I haven't been able to deal with car stuff lately.  I'm still in the middle of remodel hell.  I went and drove the car today.  I took off the power steering belt and nothing changed.  I paid off some kids at the local Jiffy Lube to let me drive the car over their work pit so I could look under the car.  I took off the inspection plate and there was no evidence of it getting hit by the bolts and everything seemed tight.  I could just chock-up the new vibrations to the fact that I installed all new Schumaker motor and tranny mounts, but it does seem excessive.  I can feel vibrations in the steering with or without the belt in place.  I can feel driveline vibrations at different speeds, but I think that is still pinion angle issues to do with the Gear Vendor installation.  Since the new mounts went on, I'm now feeling a vibration in park when revving the engine around 2500 rpm.  All this with the new noisy valvetrain and leaky tranny has me kind of down on the car right now.  I know everybody says that the ticking is normal for my build but I just cannot get used to hearing the lifters (I think) clicking away while going down the road.  I even called Comp Cams to confirm that all was OK and they said that my lifters (Comp pro magnum) act like a solid lifter when pumped up, so they will be noisy.  They said that they should be set at zero lash, so I took the car back to Brian's to have them make that adjustment and re-dyno the car.  The car dyno'd about 10 rwhp less than when started up, but we decided that was the difference between a 99 degree day and a 63 degree day.  I'm thinking of changing the lifters over the winter.  Any suggestions?  The cam is Comp extreme energy high lift and the rockers are adjustable Crane Golds.
13.53 @ 105.32

Runner

bob, i hate to see you get down on your car.   im not sure about the vibration.  i had a problem sealing up the 2 center exhaust ports on my e heads. the problem is were the head bolt area iis clearanced out,  it doesnt leave much of a sealing surface.  i couldnt get either set of headers ive ran to seal until i went to percy seal for goods. these gaskets flat out seat great.   mabe thats some of your noise.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PHP%2D66036&N=700+115&autoview=sku

i think we both run the same headers and the heads are basically the same.  heres a pic i stoled from a guy i know. it shows what im talking about

RECHRGD

Thanks Mike!!!  I was able to spend some quality time with the car today and discovered that the headers were making contact with the steering column.  A little heat and a pry bar took care of that situation.  It seems that the 1/10th" width increase on the new heads was enough to cause me all this grief.  Better yet, I re-torqued the header bolts and most of the "lifter noise" went away.   :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:I'm feeling much better now.  The next thing to do is change the tranny oil from the +4 type to regular dextron to try and firm the shifts back up.  Thanks again for your help.  Are you going to make a trip up for some racing before the season is over?  I know that they have run a couple of weekends but don't know how much longer they plan on doing it.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Runner

bob,  glad to hear your noise is mostly leaking headers. i went to spokane this past saturday, there was a pile of cars. id guess well over 200. i had a blast but went out in the second round.  the bathrooms are closed but they have porta potties every were. they brought in about 4 different food vendors. heres a pic of lanes

firefighter3931

Bob, just a little sidenote ; the Comp xehl cams do make a little more valvetrain noise as compared to the stock cam.  :yesnod:

It appears that most of your problems have been resolved. I like the Percy's dead soft aluminum header gaskets as well....Mike is dead on right with that recommendation.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs