News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Injured Squirrel

Started by Khyron, September 03, 2008, 03:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Khyron

Well, we just got my daughter off the bus from her first day of school. We where walking back to the house when we saw this little baby squirrel. It didn't look right and poor thing was squeaking and had some spiderweb on it's face. When we walked up to it it actually limped over to my foot and layed down near it.... I asked the wife what she wanted to do...

long story short I got a box, and put in some bread and water. It's been a little while but so far the animal has moved, it was just laying in the corner.. looked like the poor little guy was going to die...

He seems to be a little more content, it drank some water and ate a little bread.... don't know what else to do...

He seems fine now, should I let him go?

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Carrots

I'd keep him. Squirrels are great  :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
a lascivious taste for the grotesque, the painfully paradoxical, the questionable and the absurd.

Brock Samson

fatten that bitch up and eat him!  :drool5:

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

PocketThunder

What the hell was in that stogie that knocked him out?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Charger_Fan

Well, if you just smoked a cigar that was half the size of you, you'd feel a little sick too. :nana:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Khyron

heheh well, his right eye is swollen and there where spider webs on him, I'm thinking a spider bit him. My wife cleaned the eye out with a Q-tip and we put a next and a branch and leafs in the box, My wife is holding him in a small towel and petting his head... he's a sleep now...

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Friggin awesome!  I love squirrels.  So damn hyper its hysterical!  Never got that close to one before though
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Old Moparz

My sister's friend once rescued a baby squirrel. She is the biggest animal lover type that now has a small farm in PA. She eventually let it go when it was bigger because it isn't like having a regular house pet. Just a warning to you, if you keep it, be prepared to do what my sister's friend did. When you come home, it'll greet you like a happy dog, but remember, they don't stand there wagging their tail. What happened is, they get excited to see you & run up & around your legs as if you were a tree limb. Ever see how they can hang & climb real good? That's because they have huge, sharp, pointy, claws to dig deep, into the tree bark & get a good solid grip.

Now think about coming home in a pair of shorts & greeted by a happy squirrel.   :lol:

She had to keep a heavy blanket next to the door & when she came inside, she had to quickly grab it & wrap it around her body so the squirrel would have something other than human flesh to cling to. I got to see the thing when it was a baby & it was strange being able to pet it, but it was pretty cool. I'd say just make sure it's okay & let it go before it becomes too "humanized" & not scared of people.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

ITSA426

Do you have any idea how destructive they can be?  I'd set it free.  Leave food around the yard if you want, but not a good house critter.

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

41husk

They will cut to the bone if they bite you as well :o
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Silver R/T

looks like youve got a pet. Now if you do decide to let it go later on you know that wild animals might not adapt to wildlife after theyve been held in captivity for some time. Id get it some snacks from pet store ie hamster food, etc. nuts.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Musicman

Their OK when their small, but those little claws are a bit sharp when they get excited and running around  :lol:
You will have to release the little guy eventually though...

PocketThunder

when i lived in chicago by wrigley field we had some pet city squirels that we would feed lucky charms.  They would take them right out of our hands.  it took them 15 minutes or so to get close to us but they couldnt resist those lucky charms..
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

skip68

If you have a wild animal park/zoo, they will take them for educational purposes.(ONLY DO THIS IF IT BECOMES TOO TAME!) More than likely that baby fell out of a tree nest, or the mom was up there when it fell :'(.
Good on you, to have the compassion to care for it! :cheers: :2thumbs: Squirrel bites CAN be bad, I would be leary about letting your kids play with it unsupervised. :Twocents:
  My advice would be to call Dept. of Fish & Game in your area, and they will more than likely have a phone number to a rescue/rehab. place for the lil critter!  :yesnod: When I worked at the zoo in southern Cali., we took in ALOT of injured/abandoned animals :2thumbs:
That's how I got Chuck! :nana: :D :smilielol: :smilielol:
Mrs.Skip68 ;)
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

moparstuart

Quote from: PocketThunder on September 03, 2008, 08:55:47 PM
when i lived in chicago by wrigley field we had some pet city squirels that we would feed lucky charms.  They would take them right out of our hands.  it took them 15 minutes or so to get close to us but they couldnt resist those lucky charms..
everyones after me lucky charms
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

71ChallengeHer

If your gonna try to get it healthier. Get it some condensed milk. And if it has teeth, Cheerios. Wipe it's eye with warm water on a cotton ball. The put some antibiotic cream on it's eye.

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

RallyeMike

I think it would be a really good lesson to your kids to nurse it back to health and then let it go, but then again I'm feeling kinda sappy right now.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Khyron

hehe thanks for all the replys guys... and gals ;)

We'll nurse it back and release it to the wild.... I'm not sure I would want a squirrel for a per.... much rather have a ferrit ;)

But I didn't think about cherrios... thats a good idea, that will be "Chippers" breakfast tommorow...

I think it's a cute name ;)

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

RD

had one when iwas a teenager... its cool.. but whichever family member it becomes attached to, must stay around or it will die.  that is just the way those animals work.  i had it for 5 weeks, had to leave town, and it had died on return.  vet said it was due to me leaving, those animals become attached and recognize the scent of whom it perceives to be the parent, and when that parent leaves it will die.  so be careful and consult a veterinarian.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Khyron

Sorry to inform everyone that when I came home for lunch little Chipper had passed away..... Ohh well, at least the little bugger was comfortable. His eye looked real bad :(

I took him outside and buryed him under our apple tree.

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Blown70

Quote from: BMOTOXSTAR on September 04, 2008, 12:39:16 PM
Wild animals are not meant to be pets. Let the creature go, it will be happiest. :Twocents:

Forget to read the post above? :shruggy:

skip68

Sorry to hear that. :'( Hope your kids are ok and not too upset. :pity:
Mrs.Skip68 ;)

Brock Samson

awwww,.. :'(  I'm really sorry,..  :pity:

hutch

sorry you did not get to eat him before he kicked.  They are nice when fried up.

:popcrn:
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

Neal_J

Do they really taste like chicken?

Neal

Khyron

Quote from: skip68 on September 04, 2008, 01:00:52 PM
Sorry to hear that. :'( Hope your kids are ok and not too upset. :pity:
Mrs.Skip68 ;)

we'll tell them that he was better and we let him go. in a few months when I see a bigger squirrel we'll say that him ;)

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

41husk

good chance to learn about mortality,  any thing that lives must die.  It's just part of life.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

BMOTOXSTAR

Quote from: Blown70 on September 04, 2008, 12:41:58 PM
Quote from: BMOTOXSTAR on September 04, 2008, 12:39:16 PM
Wild animals are not meant to be pets. Let the creature go, it will be happiest. :Twocents:

Forget to read the post above? :shruggy:

That is what I get for skim reading. I feel like a real a-hole once again.
I still say that wild animals should not be pets. That poor littte guy.... :angel:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Khyron

Quote from: 41husk on September 04, 2008, 02:04:46 PM
good chance to learn about mortality,  any thing that lives must die.  It's just part of life.

Their Uncle Paul died from Cancer... may be a little soon, But I do agree with you, They have had dead fish and a few relitives already, it's been a bad year... I'll let them slide on the Squirrel.

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

hutch

Quote from: Neal_J on September 04, 2008, 01:36:34 PM
Do they really taste like chicken?

Neal

no, they taste like squirrel.   ;D
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

Carrots

"....let them slide on the Squirrel"

As always the caption creates the King. Very well put :2guns:

The lady across the street recently passed, but from the time that I arrived here in Spring to a month or so back she was always out feeding the little critters. Perhaps it has been unemployment, heatstroke, holiday grub, fuzzy facial features, strong beer before 4, or perhaps a combination of other factors but I've now got a small affinity for them. Having left a nation of them they were nothing new in of themselves, but having the time to notice has made for a pleasant change. Watching them play sure as hell beats the afternoons of pseudo justice that I have found on Fox. Over the weeks I have had several encounters, most playful, others territorial disputes that I'm pleased to say were all resolved in my favour. I have been toying with the idea of relocating the now defunct tree feeders from her oak opposite and tying them up next to the (yet-to-be-built) hammock in my front lawn. No one likes having the crumbs taken out of their livelihoods 'happy times' pile, and whilst the circumstances are unfortunate I would like to look at this as an opportunity to get off the fence and take an interest. When nuts & treats = good times I should just be saddling up and taking charge shouldn't I?! Lawn services continues to attend once weekly and so I think it's safe. All of this may well have pushed me over the edge......
a lascivious taste for the grotesque, the painfully paradoxical, the questionable and the absurd.

71ChallengeHer

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.