News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Major crapola...my 440 Yorker seems to be going bye bye

Started by ChargerBill, October 23, 2005, 10:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerBill

I'm torn...I need time to think about this and he wants to know by Wednesday. If I had someone needing parts it would be a no brainer, but I may end up sitting on New Yorker parts and can't afford to...
Life is a highway...

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

cudaken

Bill, if you where with in 900 miles I give you the remains of my $7000.00 440 for the other 440. With a fresh engine you never know when it will go Pop, mine did after 90 miles. It had all the good stuff but for 1 thing. I did not do it my self.

I would rather have your 440 with 67,000 miles on it than a fresh engine. If it made it that far you know it is a keeper. Throw a cam in it, new chain, oil pump and some head work (per Neil) headers and intake and carb and have a easy 450 HP and will live for some time as a driver.

Unless you want to race every weekend why do you need 500 HP anyway Bill? I know what you have done with your Charger from the old site, you don't need to make sand dunes from blasting the under side of a Charger for a race car.

Heck a real 400 HP will get you close to 12.9's if you can hook up.

Kind of funny to hear this from a friend that was buliding a 685 HP 440.

Ken
I am back

General_01

Not trying to be negative Bill, but I am sure he probably gave you the "pick it up anytime" speech because he didn't want to make waves with his daughter-in-law. In two years time you haven't paid him the extra $100? You should have at least done that. Then you could really say the car is yours. In your current situation, I would let it go. You don't have time, money, or space right now and from your other post, it sounds like you need to get rid of stuff at your mom's place too. Just my two cents. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Dean
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

ChargerBill

Quote from: General_01 on October 24, 2005, 09:47:27 PM
Not trying to be negative Bill, but I am sure he probably gave you the "pick it up anytime" speech because he didn't want to make waves with his daughter-in-law. In two years time you haven't paid him the extra $100? You should have at least done that. Then you could really say the car is yours. In your current situation, I would let it go. You don't have time, money, or space right now and from your other post, it sounds like you need to get rid of stuff at your mom's place too. Just my two cents. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Dean

As much as I want to call you a name right now, I hate to admit that you're pretty much on target. :rotz: Money, time, space....none of it's on my side right now. After I explore one more option I'll probablly let it go. I'd love to have it, but then there's that inconvenient thing called reality.

In a different life at a different time I'd probably have 10 440's...now THAT's a scary thought. :icon_smile_wink:
Life is a highway...

69charger2002

i have 10 440's. what are you trying to say? i'm SCARY?? lol kidding
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

89MOPAR

Dean

What he said.
When the owner says pick it up when you are able - they usually don't mean 2 years from now, maybe they are thinking 2 months.
Sorry to say, you have been taking advantage of him storing it, and justifying it by saying he has 9 acres of land.
There is no storage lot in the country that would let you keep a 20 ft x 8ft vehicle in their lot for 2 years for only $100....
   He has probably been worring that you decided against buying it, and want your $300 back.
Maybe he already spent the $300 [?], so he's selling the car to get you your money .
Personally when I sell something, I want it gone.
If i see it sitting around , I fell bad that I didn't give it more attention.
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

toqwik

If you really want to keep it, tell him you would like to keep it, but if he wants it gone then sell it to someone else.  Have the 100 bucks you owe him with you, and if he says its ok to keep it there, pay him.  If I was him, I think in that amount of time I would get tired of looking at a pos car with a tarp over it.  Is there somewhere else you can put it out of sight?  Pull motor asap, put ad in local paper for 66-70 mopar parts, and new yorker, complete minus motor for 200.  It will go.
Scott

ChargerBill

Quote from: 89MOPAR on October 25, 2005, 08:06:05 PM
What he said.
When the owner says pick it up when you are able - they usually don't mean 2 years from now, maybe they are thinking 2 months.
Sorry to say, you have been taking advantage of him storing it, and justifying it by saying he has 9 acres of land.
There is no storage lot in the country that would let you keep a 20 ft x 8ft vehicle in their lot for 2 years for only $100....
    He has probably been worring that you decided against buying it, and want your $300 back.
Maybe he already spent the $300 [?], so he's selling the car to get you your money .

See, now you're just assuming things here...and sounding a little bitter in the process too. He knew my situation with space when he OFFERED me the car, knew my dad had just died, knew I needed a 440 (this was before i bought the other 440), I have gone over to his house on the weekends to help him chop wood, have helped him build his rock crusher and tumbler rigs, have been over his house for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, etc... I have taught him a few things about playing Blues harmonica and he stops by every so often to jam. We're friends...and even though I may feel like I could have tried to somehow move the car sooner, I also know that he never had an issue with it until recently. And I honestly believe that part of the reason he made the decision to sell the car is because he knows my finances aren't great and my space situation isn't any better. So, you may want to browbeat me, but the assumptions you make are really only assumptions. There is no bad blood or resentment between us at all. He is an honorable guy and would never just yank the car out from under me without giving me a chance to come get it first.

It sounds to me like you may have been in a similar situation yourself and are just taking this opportunity to vent your frustrations on me...
Life is a highway...

bull

Dean

What he said.

This is what I meant by "mean what you say and say what you mean." If you're one of these people who often says one thing and means something else, or sugar-coats every comment, please take your gonads out of your wife's purse, install them where they belong and say what needs to be said. If they would have been honest with Bill from the get-go there wouldn't be this strain on the relationship now. No one who speaks English should have to interpret the words of another English-speaking person unless it's a foreign dialect or something.

Shakey

Quote from: bull on October 26, 2005, 05:41:27 AM

Dean

What he said.

This is what I meant by "mean what you say and say what you mean." If you're one of these people who often says one thing and means something else, or sugar-coats every comment, please take your gonads out of your wife's purse, install them where they belong and say what needs to be said. If they would have been honest with Bill from the get-go there wouldn't be this strain on the relationship now. No one who speaks English should have to interpret the words of another English-speaking person unless it's a foreign dialect or something.

Leeke Newfie eh byes!

89MOPAR

See, now you're just assuming things here... and even though I may feel like I could have tried to somehow move the car sooner, I also know that he never had an issue with it until recently. And I honestly believe that part of the reason he made the decision to sell the car is because he knows my finances aren't great and my space situation isn't any better.   but the assumptions you make are really only assumptions.

Well, of course I'm assuming things Bill.   Thats what people need to do when they aren't present for the   conversation about buying a car.
Thats why I used words like "maybe" and "usually".
Now you know he has an issue with it, and wants an answer by Wed as you wrote.
I said maybe he is selling it to get you your money back- that goes along with bad finances.

Sorry there is no example in my life where I sold a car 75 % of the way . waiting on the last 25%, and stored the car for several   years, for either a relative, friend , or stranger.
Let me rephrase my statement as : you benifitted from his generosity in storing the car on his 9 acres - instead of saying you took advantage.  :icon_smile_wink:
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Old Moparz

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Lowprofile

"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

SanDiego70RTSE

Rule of thumb on doing business...trust nobody and when you buy a car, pay for it in full and do the DMV paper work asap so the title gets transfered from the seller's name into the buyer's name.