News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Major crapola...my 440 Yorker seems to be going bye bye

Started by ChargerBill, October 23, 2005, 10:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerBill

I just cannot believe this at all. About 2 years ago I bought a New Yorker from my brother-in-laws father for $400...gave him $300 and he said it was mine..still owe him $100 and he said when I come to haul it away just pay him then. He pretty much said whenever I could get the car out of there it would be fine (he has 9 acres) and so I have left it there for the last 2 years. Every once in a while I go start it up to keep it running then disconnect the battery until next time. It has a 440, 727, 83/4...the interior is in great shape, dash is excellent, bumpers are really nice, body is rust free and 99% straight, BUT the tranny is shot and the rearend makes a grinding noise, however the 440 pulls really hard. I figured I'd pull the engine, tranny & rear end and sell the rest for parts....or just off the body to the local wrecker if no one wanted it.

So flash forward to yesterday, I get second hand info from my sister. She saw her father-in-law at the grocery store and he tells her that he has someone who is buying the New Yorker for $500 and is going to give me back my money. At this point I'm kind of shell-shocked and don't know what to think. He never said to come and get it out of there, never complained and every time I'm at his house he points to it and says, "See, I'm taking good care of your car"...it's sitting under a tarp by his woodpile. So I call him and he says he would rather the car didn't get parted out as he thinks it's restorable. I told him it would take thousands JUST to make it roadworthy (did I mention the wiring is shot too?) and he says this guy wants to restore it. Great, so now he tugs at my Mopar heartstrings with the "save a Mopar" speech. So, what should I do? I was really counting on having this 440 as my backup, and they are getting harder to find. So, should I let it go, or should I get over there and haul it away? BTW: I have NO place to put it right now...I'd have to put a friend out (cash in a fravor) to have a place to put it before I could start tearing it apart...   :rotz:
Life is a highway...

Charger_Fan

I bet this new guy is gonna part it out too...he just isn't saying it in so many words. ::)

I guess if you don't have any place to keep it right now & you're actually gonna get your money back, let the other guy have it. There's other 440's in big boats still out there for cheap.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Old Moparz

I've watched 2 friends in a similar position do this, & all I could do is listen to both sides of the story & not let the other know I had heard it. Someone had a car stored, & someone was allowing the car to be stored. (With no money involved.) When it was time to get it out after several years, the one doing the storing was annoyed it was there for so long. The one who owned the car was annoyed he was asked to remove it & didn't have a place to put it. I knew I was going to be asked to let it stay at my place, but I knew better & made sure I had "no room at the inn" for it.

I'd have to say you should just tell him you'll honor the deal & you'll get it out right away for him. If he insists it be saved, then lie. Tell him you had second thoughts & want to restore it to a show car. What difference does it make at this point since he didn't honor the deal anyway? Drag it home, part the motor & scrap it. It's just a car that doesn't work & won't be restored. Chances are someone else who wants a 440 knew about it & said they'd give him more than you. If you can't drag it home, then tell him to sell it & get your money back & remember how he makes deals for the next time.

One thing I learned over the years is that when someone says take it, take it right away. These offers for certain prices or conditions conveniently change into something else later on.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

ChargerBill

I really wish I knew someone who needed NY parts...would make my life easier. I have to call the wrecker first thing tomorrow and find out if he's going to charge me to take the heap off my hands once I'm done with it. NOW I need to see how fast I can tear into it and remove the parts I want...really kills my week, and I already had no time.
Life is a highway...

Silver R/T

well if that guy is really gonna fix it up I think he should have it
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

ChargerBill

Like OLd said, how do I know he's not just wanting the 440? Besides, how often do you see or hear of a fully restored '67 New Yorker? Ther's NO WAY you could get a return on your money, and they aren't THAT great looking that I could see someone choosing THAT car over , say a Belvedere, a Fury, Dart or Satellite.... I mean, you could buy a wrecked up non running Dart for $500 easy.
Life is a highway...

Old Moparz

There's been 5 or 6 times where I can recall the timing on a really good deal, just plain sucked. That was whether I went through with it or not, & some I managed, & some I just passed on. You have to know what your limits & capabilities will be at that particular time. I agree with CF, there will always be another 440 car later on, the trick is just not to "want it right away at all costs." That applies to ebay too.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

472 R/T SE

Tell him with the market being the way it is, you need more money. :icon_smile_blackeye: :icon_smile_cool:

Silver R/T

Quote from: ChargerBill on October 23, 2005, 11:32:34 PM
Like OLd said, how do I know he's not just wanting the 440? Besides, how often do you see or hear of a fully restored '67 New Yorker? Ther's NO WAY you could get a return on your money, and they aren't THAT great looking that I could see someone choosing THAT car over , say a Belvedere, a Fury, Dart or Satellite.... I mean, you could buy a wrecked up non running Dart for $500 easy.

well theres guy on here with lebaron that's making a 'sleeper' out of it...
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

ChargerBill

I think a 5,000 lb "sleeper" would STILL be a sleeper...unless the guy was shooting nitrous. Those New Yorkers are frigging BOATS!
Life is a highway...

Lowprofile

Yea, I think that other guy just wants the drivetrain. Thats your car, bro. I would go and get it ASAP, pull the drivetrain & all the other parts you need/want, and send it to the crusher.  Just my  :blahblah: :Twocents:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

472 R/T SE

There's a reason New Yorkers were banned at demolition derbies in the midwest.

bull

My experience has been that there's often an unspoken undercurrent of talk that goes on in situations like this. In other words, many people aren't straight-shooters when it comes to what they say vs. what they mean. I try to always say what I mean and mean what I say. If I say "I'm buying" at a restaurant it means I'm buying. If someone else tells me they're buying then I take the statement at its face value. I don't play the games and I don't usually associate with people who do. If your bro-in-law told you the car could be stored indefinitely then I would assume that's what he really meant. As far as what to do now you need to decide if you really want the car. If you do want it then take the remaining $100 and go get it. And while you're there I'd tell him you don't appreciate his dishonesty about the situation. If he wanted it gone he should have had the guts to tell you a long time ago. Tell him next time (if there is a next time) say what you mean and don't BS me. If you don't want the car take your money back and forget it. Now you know what kind of people you're dealing with and you can adjust your actions accordingly.

FWIW, I don't think a used 440 is worth quite that much money, unless you think you can make up the difference by selling the car parts.

derailed

IMO I would let it go and collect your money and use it for other charger necessities unless you really feel the dire urge you have to get it. Ive been in a similar predicament myself and after making the decisiion to let it fly i didnt really miss the car one bit and theres always 440s out there if you need a motor. Maybe being family he felt bad pressuring you to get it out of there and never said anything or maybe he really wanted the car restored who knows but i would let it go. Thats just my opinion, besides these things seem to happen for a reason :)

6pkrunner

I've gone through the same scene often enough to know that when you pay for something, or partially pay for it - get it out right away. I know you said it was storage and didn't seem to affect his life in any way, but this is exactly what happens. and its all the time. sorry to hear of the hassles you're into. Find another storage locale and get it there ASAP. I'm sure this exact thing has happened to almost everyone at one time or another.

Blown70

Quote from: AllBlueRT on October 24, 2005, 12:08:21 AM

Never heard of a new yorker,  Imperials yes  they have that nice Beam in the front I have never seen a New Yorker with one.  A lot will swap a front but that is all I have seen.

PocketThunder

Quote from: Blown70 on October 24, 2005, 08:48:02 AM

Never heard of a new yorker,   Imperials yes   they have that nice Beam in the front I have never seen a New Yorker with one.   A lot will swap a front but that is all I have seen.

I didnt know that.  There were a group of guys in the local derby that won all the time with Imperials.  I guess the officials finanly figured out the secret. 

---------------------------------------------------------- (where's mike d?)

Bill, i just pulled the 440 out of my NY this summer, and stripped some other parts, and it took me all day!  So if your short on time already with no place to store the car then maybe just let it go to the other guy and find another engine later on.  Do you have a 440 already?  I think you said you wanted this one for a spare..
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

cudaken

One detail Bill left out, the 440 only has 67,000 miles on it.

Bill, if they turly want to restore the New Yorker, well let them have it for $200.00 with out the 440. Heck, it would not stop any of us from buying a Mopar we wanted. ;)

Heck, tell them they can have it for $100.00 if they help pull the 440 for you.

Ken
I am back

4402tuff4u

I say let it go especially since you dont have the time to take it apart or store it. 440 are out there. Just keep your antennas tuned. As a matter fact I saw a couple here.
Plus he's not immediate family but he's close enough - father in-law, correct?. Let it go and just keep it in your memory banks. It's not worth putting a strain in your marriage over an engine and spare parts.  :icon_smile:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

694spdRT

Wish I lived closer Bill. With our skid loader and torch we could have that 440 out in no time and drop the New Yorker off at the junkyard on the way to your house.  :)

I know of a real low mileage(around 20K) 1967 4 door C body with a 383 and the owner can't sell it without giving it away. I doubt anyone plans to restore that one.

I have pulled the big block drivetrains out of a 1969 Chrylser 300 4 door, '71 Imperial, '73 Newport, and a '68 Chrysler. I also finished off a few factory big block trucks too. They were just to far gone to ever consider saving.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

firefighter3931

Quote from: cudaken on October 24, 2005, 10:06:21 AM
One detail Bill left out, the 440 only has 67,000 miles on it.

Bill, if they turly want to restore the New Yorker, well let them have it for $200.00 with out the 440. Heck, it would not stop any of us from buying a Mopar we wanted. ;)

Heck, tell them they can have it for $100.00 if they help pull the 440 for you.

Ken

I like that idea....if they really want to restore the car sell it to them for $100.00 and we'll see how serious they really are about restoring it   :icon_smile_big: It's your car Bill....go get it if you really want it. A running steel crank closed chamber 440 with a 727 is worth keeping around, inmo. Having been in a c-body it won't have been abused and likely never saw the high dise of 4000 rpm. It could easily be freshened up with rings and bearings and be put back into service for many years....

Scrap steel is worth at least $75.00 a ton so you've got close to $150.00 in scrap metal alone with that beast. Good luck...i hope this doesn't create hard feelings with extended family members. The relative should have at least called and informed you about the other "offer". The right thing to do would have been for him to tell the prospective buyer to contact you....because it's YOUR car to sell, not his. I don't like "weasels"   :down:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Blown70

You talking about the Frech lake auto guys?

We usually ran with them..... well against them and was often a toss up.... Depends on how good we did setting up the car.

We had one Imperial with 14 demos on it and never got worse than a second..... :devil:

PocketThunder

Quote from: Blown70 on October 24, 2005, 11:26:38 AM
You talking about the Frech lake auto guys?

We usually ran with them..... well against them and was often a toss up.... Depends on how good we did setting up the car.

We had one Imperial with 14 demos on it and never got worse than a second..... :devil:

No, some guys i went to HS with in Mid-west Wisconsin......
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Blown70 on October 24, 2005, 08:48:02 AM

Never heard of a new yorker,  Imperials yes  they have that nice Beam in the front I have never seen a New Yorker with one.  A lot will swap a front but that is all I have seen.

Ooops, maybe it was the Imperials.  My Dad used to build the cars and my uncle ran them.  They never used Chryslers, just bitched about them.  The GM's they used would only last one derby alot.  The Chryslers would go and go and go, and look the same at the end of the day as when they started.

My buddy used to work at the Ice Store so we would bring in the chilled company truck carrying kegs. :devil:

RD

440 running = $400-500 (forged crank from that pupply will go for $200 alone (does it have the 915 heads?)
727 core = $50-75
8 3/4 = $100 (that has 11" rear brakes)
Radiator will be date coded for 67 model year, goes across all b bodies too i believe

get it and part it out as quick as you can and send the rest to the crusher (minus trim pieces and easy to take off stuff, put that on ebay :D)
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

ChargerBill

I'm torn...I need time to think about this and he wants to know by Wednesday. If I had someone needing parts it would be a no brainer, but I may end up sitting on New Yorker parts and can't afford to...
Life is a highway...

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

cudaken

Bill, if you where with in 900 miles I give you the remains of my $7000.00 440 for the other 440. With a fresh engine you never know when it will go Pop, mine did after 90 miles. It had all the good stuff but for 1 thing. I did not do it my self.

I would rather have your 440 with 67,000 miles on it than a fresh engine. If it made it that far you know it is a keeper. Throw a cam in it, new chain, oil pump and some head work (per Neil) headers and intake and carb and have a easy 450 HP and will live for some time as a driver.

Unless you want to race every weekend why do you need 500 HP anyway Bill? I know what you have done with your Charger from the old site, you don't need to make sand dunes from blasting the under side of a Charger for a race car.

Heck a real 400 HP will get you close to 12.9's if you can hook up.

Kind of funny to hear this from a friend that was buliding a 685 HP 440.

Ken
I am back

General_01

Not trying to be negative Bill, but I am sure he probably gave you the "pick it up anytime" speech because he didn't want to make waves with his daughter-in-law. In two years time you haven't paid him the extra $100? You should have at least done that. Then you could really say the car is yours. In your current situation, I would let it go. You don't have time, money, or space right now and from your other post, it sounds like you need to get rid of stuff at your mom's place too. Just my two cents. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Dean
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

ChargerBill

Quote from: General_01 on October 24, 2005, 09:47:27 PM
Not trying to be negative Bill, but I am sure he probably gave you the "pick it up anytime" speech because he didn't want to make waves with his daughter-in-law. In two years time you haven't paid him the extra $100? You should have at least done that. Then you could really say the car is yours. In your current situation, I would let it go. You don't have time, money, or space right now and from your other post, it sounds like you need to get rid of stuff at your mom's place too. Just my two cents. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Dean

As much as I want to call you a name right now, I hate to admit that you're pretty much on target. :rotz: Money, time, space....none of it's on my side right now. After I explore one more option I'll probablly let it go. I'd love to have it, but then there's that inconvenient thing called reality.

In a different life at a different time I'd probably have 10 440's...now THAT's a scary thought. :icon_smile_wink:
Life is a highway...

69charger2002

i have 10 440's. what are you trying to say? i'm SCARY?? lol kidding
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

89MOPAR

Dean

What he said.
When the owner says pick it up when you are able - they usually don't mean 2 years from now, maybe they are thinking 2 months.
Sorry to say, you have been taking advantage of him storing it, and justifying it by saying he has 9 acres of land.
There is no storage lot in the country that would let you keep a 20 ft x 8ft vehicle in their lot for 2 years for only $100....
   He has probably been worring that you decided against buying it, and want your $300 back.
Maybe he already spent the $300 [?], so he's selling the car to get you your money .
Personally when I sell something, I want it gone.
If i see it sitting around , I fell bad that I didn't give it more attention.
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

toqwik

If you really want to keep it, tell him you would like to keep it, but if he wants it gone then sell it to someone else.  Have the 100 bucks you owe him with you, and if he says its ok to keep it there, pay him.  If I was him, I think in that amount of time I would get tired of looking at a pos car with a tarp over it.  Is there somewhere else you can put it out of sight?  Pull motor asap, put ad in local paper for 66-70 mopar parts, and new yorker, complete minus motor for 200.  It will go.
Scott

ChargerBill

Quote from: 89MOPAR on October 25, 2005, 08:06:05 PM
What he said.
When the owner says pick it up when you are able - they usually don't mean 2 years from now, maybe they are thinking 2 months.
Sorry to say, you have been taking advantage of him storing it, and justifying it by saying he has 9 acres of land.
There is no storage lot in the country that would let you keep a 20 ft x 8ft vehicle in their lot for 2 years for only $100....
    He has probably been worring that you decided against buying it, and want your $300 back.
Maybe he already spent the $300 [?], so he's selling the car to get you your money .

See, now you're just assuming things here...and sounding a little bitter in the process too. He knew my situation with space when he OFFERED me the car, knew my dad had just died, knew I needed a 440 (this was before i bought the other 440), I have gone over to his house on the weekends to help him chop wood, have helped him build his rock crusher and tumbler rigs, have been over his house for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, etc... I have taught him a few things about playing Blues harmonica and he stops by every so often to jam. We're friends...and even though I may feel like I could have tried to somehow move the car sooner, I also know that he never had an issue with it until recently. And I honestly believe that part of the reason he made the decision to sell the car is because he knows my finances aren't great and my space situation isn't any better. So, you may want to browbeat me, but the assumptions you make are really only assumptions. There is no bad blood or resentment between us at all. He is an honorable guy and would never just yank the car out from under me without giving me a chance to come get it first.

It sounds to me like you may have been in a similar situation yourself and are just taking this opportunity to vent your frustrations on me...
Life is a highway...

bull

Dean

What he said.

This is what I meant by "mean what you say and say what you mean." If you're one of these people who often says one thing and means something else, or sugar-coats every comment, please take your gonads out of your wife's purse, install them where they belong and say what needs to be said. If they would have been honest with Bill from the get-go there wouldn't be this strain on the relationship now. No one who speaks English should have to interpret the words of another English-speaking person unless it's a foreign dialect or something.

Shakey

Quote from: bull on October 26, 2005, 05:41:27 AM

Dean

What he said.

This is what I meant by "mean what you say and say what you mean." If you're one of these people who often says one thing and means something else, or sugar-coats every comment, please take your gonads out of your wife's purse, install them where they belong and say what needs to be said. If they would have been honest with Bill from the get-go there wouldn't be this strain on the relationship now. No one who speaks English should have to interpret the words of another English-speaking person unless it's a foreign dialect or something.

Leeke Newfie eh byes!

89MOPAR

See, now you're just assuming things here... and even though I may feel like I could have tried to somehow move the car sooner, I also know that he never had an issue with it until recently. And I honestly believe that part of the reason he made the decision to sell the car is because he knows my finances aren't great and my space situation isn't any better.   but the assumptions you make are really only assumptions.

Well, of course I'm assuming things Bill.   Thats what people need to do when they aren't present for the   conversation about buying a car.
Thats why I used words like "maybe" and "usually".
Now you know he has an issue with it, and wants an answer by Wed as you wrote.
I said maybe he is selling it to get you your money back- that goes along with bad finances.

Sorry there is no example in my life where I sold a car 75 % of the way . waiting on the last 25%, and stored the car for several   years, for either a relative, friend , or stranger.
Let me rephrase my statement as : you benifitted from his generosity in storing the car on his 9 acres - instead of saying you took advantage.  :icon_smile_wink:
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Old Moparz

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Lowprofile

"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

SanDiego70RTSE

Rule of thumb on doing business...trust nobody and when you buy a car, pay for it in full and do the DMV paper work asap so the title gets transfered from the seller's name into the buyer's name.