News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Car covers?

Started by Smoke20, October 27, 2005, 09:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoke20

Hey Gang, My wife and I just had a new baby and it's a possibility that my Mopar might not make it indoors this year.

Anybody with their car outdoors uing a particular car cover? Ive seen them for $40 on ebay to $200 at speed shops. What's the dileo?
Kevin
It's MoPar or No Car!  :drive:

'69 Dodge Charger - Black primer
01 Dodge Intrepid R/T 3.5L Magnum V6 36K
05 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT Inferno Red, Loaded

01-RT-SE

Car covers are crap to protect your car over the winter.If you have a garage,which it looks like you do, Clean it out-yard sale-donate just make the room. It will be well worth it. Our Coronet has to set outside with a cover and it burns me up to have to leave it outside. :flame:
69 FEELS FINE

Dans 68

Smoke20,

Timely topic! I was thinking about 2 hours ago what car cover to get next. I have one that I picked up at the local car parts chain (Pep Boys) last year but I'm steering towards something a bit more "protective" of my car. I'll probably spend 4 hours reading up on what to get, but if anyone has a preference please post. And its a California car, so rain is the main concern.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

BigBlockSam

this is the only cover that is weather proof but it cost $600 and needs electricity
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

RT DAVE

Quote from: BigBlockSam on October 27, 2005, 09:42:57 PM
this is the only cover that is weather proof but it cost $600 and needs electricity

Is this a custom, one-off deal or is this actually a mass produced item? 
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

BigBlockSam

no, it's mass produced, go into google and do a search under outdoor car capsule. you'll find it. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

Smoke20

Quote from: 01-RT-SE on October 27, 2005, 09:20:43 PM
Car covers are crap to protect your car over the winter.If you have a garage,which it looks like you do, Clean it out-yard sale-donate just make the room. It will be well worth it. Our Coronet has to set outside with a cover and it burns me up to have to leave it outside. :flame:

I agree that covers are not as good as a garage. If I had my druthers, the car would be in there already. The problem is time. My wife has some health problems and we have a two week old daughter, so time to clean the garage is not on the radar.

Is there a particular brand of car cover that is better than another in terms of fit, protection, etc?
Kevin

41husk

Make time!  If you have a garage use it even if you can find an hour per night to work on cleaning the garage, get the car in there as soon as possible.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

BrianShaughnessy

One of the covers I have is by Wolf and it's the NOAH fabric...   it's pretty good.   Car covers are not meant to be waterproof... only water resistant.   They have to breathe.   Anyway, you get what you pay for.   Read up on the subject before ordering.    California car cover has a nice site with some good info.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

BigBlockSam

i have a California car cover on my 39. i've had it for yrs and it's still in good shape. Rene

Blown70

Quote from: BigBlockSam on October 27, 2005, 09:42:57 PM

These things are cool.  I was told about them through the phone guy his brother uses one.... Good investment if you can do the $$

Baracda

Any car cover sold by California Car Cover can be bought at Car Cover World online cheaper.  The Weathershield HD covers one of my cars outside in Winter with up to 35-40mph gusts (I live near the coast) and driving rain (no snow or ice near me) and hasnt scratched the paint.  Its a micro-weave fabric designed not to scratch.  Not cheap but its the best protection outside of a car capsule I know of.

jim

Charger_Fan

My cover is similar to the California cover, but some other name...which I can't remember tonight. It's about 15 years old.
It was originally pretty water resistant (the water used to actually bead on the cover), but after 10 or so rainstorms, I noticed water was getting through. After a few snowstorms, when the water froze...it actually stuck the cover to the car. :icon_smile_angry:

I ended up leaving the cover on & strapping a tarp over top. I wanted it to still breathe & not have the tarp sitting directly on the car. I only did this for probably 2 months, way back when...then it was back in the garage.

Here's a big pic of my cover this summer. It's a 'universal' cover & isn't custom cut to fit a Charger, so it's a little baggy in the front & rear. It's got elastic on both ends & rope ties in the middle.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Headrope

Are you concerned about the paint on your car?
Is wind an issue during winter where you're at?
I ruined a perfectly good paint job by using a car cover instead of cleaning out the garage when my wife and I had our baby.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

cudaken

Smoke20, good cover will cost $200.00 plus. Use that money to hire someone to clean out the garage.

BigBlockSam, what the heck is in the slug looking thing? Sure not a car, unless it was shrunk?

Cuda Ken
I am back

BigBlockSam

hey Cuda Ken
thats my 39 plymouths home during the winter months. i have one garage and thats full of motorcycles, plus it's my work shop for spraying the guitars. i keep 5 mopars outside under covers and my 39 in an out door car capsule. when the 68 charger r/t comes home it will go to my friend's garage. i am in the process of looking for land to build a house with a 50x50 garage. than all the toys will be kept inside. Rene

keniso

Hi!  do you have any room to setup a portable garage,  it goes up like a tent.  Can't remember where i seen it but you can park your car in it.

OldGuy

If you can't get it into a garage, do what Charger Fan did.   Put a cloth cover over the car first then cover it with a heavy duty tarp.   I did that last year on a car I couldn't get inside and it worked out fine.   The tarp is not air tight so it will let the cover breath underneath; yet the tarp is waterproof.   I strapped the tarp down tight because we get winds blowing 40-50 mph from the north and didn't have a problem.   The only problem is, don't plan on starting your car up often unless you have a lot of time to unwrap it and then wrap it back up.   Use 1" wide pull straps to tighten the tarp from side to side between the front and rear tires; back to front underneath the car and then strap the ends together side to side under the front and rear bumpers.
"I can tell by your sarcastic undertones, rude comments and total lack of common decency, that you and I could be best friends".

Smoke20

Quote from: cudaken on October 29, 2005, 09:52:43 AM
Smoke20, good cover will cost $200.00 plus. Use that money to hire someone to clean out the garage.

Cuda Ken

HA! That's a damn good idea!  :cheers:
Kevin