News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I need a math expert -- high mpg vehicle question

Started by bull, August 29, 2008, 08:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I've got a "story problem" I'd like some help with. At what point would I break even cost-wise comparing two similarly-priced vehicles, one a turbo diesel that averages 45 mpg @ say $4.25/gal compared to a gas-powered car that averages 30 mpg @ $3.66/gal?

Actually, let me pose the question this way: What average mpg would a gas-powered car have to get at $3.66/gal for gas to equal the operating cost of a turbo diesel car that averages 45 mpg @ $4.25/gal for diesel?

Musicman

At 3.66 a gallon the car would have to get just under 39 MPG... 38.75 MPG to equal the diesel.

4.25 / 45 miles = 0.09444*** cents per mile
3.66 / .09444*** cents per mile = 38.75 miles

bull

Thanks. I just woke up and didn't feel like thinking. And math is not my strong point even when I am able to think.

So what kind of gas-powered cars average 38.75 mpg? And please, don't mention the Toyota Pious. I don't think I could touch one of those in the $7k-$10k price range. And they're damn ugly too.

FLG

strictly gas?? The honda civic hybrid averages 40 city 45 highway

bull

Quote from: FLG on August 29, 2008, 09:43:23 PM
strictly gas?? The honda civic hybrid averages 40 city 45 highway

That's pretty good. What years/price range are we talking?

I'm also looking at the Ford Escape hybrid. Although the mpg isn't up there where I'd like to see it and they cost too much, at least it's a 4x4 SUV. :shruggy:

PocketThunder

Do you have a long commute Curtis or is it for your spouse? 
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

bull

Quote from: PocketThunder on August 29, 2008, 10:43:48 PM

It's for her mostly. If it was only my commute it wouldn't be a big deal but she really has a way of racking up the miles on our Durango (that gets 15 mpg around town if I'm lucky). And I'm not going to have two car payments -- I don't even want one payment. I was thinking about getting a VW turbo diesel, most likely a Jetta, because I hear they can run forever, don't cost a lot and get in the high 40s for gas mileage. For my commute I'll probably stick with the bus and bike at least 4 out of 5 days a week.

PocketThunder

My spouse is a stay at home mom now that we have 3 kids and she puts more miles on the minivan that i do going to work!
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

bull

Quote from: PocketThunder on August 30, 2008, 12:24:57 AM
My spouse is a stay at home mom now that we have 3 kids and she puts more miles on the minivan that i do going to work!

Exactly. Same here, except add to that a couple of house cleaning jobs my wife has that are probably twice the distance of my commute.

89MOPAR

Probably some old dodge Omni , mazda GLC , front drive charger circa 1984/ turismo, plymouth arrow, mustang 2 with a 4 cylinder, etc.
  But those are too old and maybe by now unreliable for what you want.
   I'd believe they got an avergae 38 mpg.... But they were serious no-frills cars.  Today with airbags, power everything, bigger wheels, more sound deadening etc - it is hard to find a car that gets that kind of gas mileage near 40mpg.
Yeah maybe a diesel jetta.  Subaru is supposed to be coming out with a diesel version of their boxer motor that will get about 45mpg, but its a few years away, plus way more than $7000

For that kind of cash [ 7000 to 10000]   I'd look into a used Neon.  Used Ford Focus.   Used nissan sentra.    used Cavalier/ cobalt.   Can at least get low 30's out of those.
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

Finn

Mini coopers are around there if I remember right. Unbelievably fun cars but not cheap and they take premium.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

mikepmcs

My father told me not 2 weeks ago that mom's CHEVY Malibu got 44 mpg going to New York and back.  I couldn't believe it either.  He said the previous one she had got around 39 as well.
Who would've thunk it. :shruggy:

Of course my dad probably still drives 55mph everywhere he goes. :yesnod:

Oh yeah, you could find 88-91 Honda CRX HF model that gets 50 or the DX model that got around 38.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

bull

Quote from: mikepmcs on August 31, 2008, 08:17:38 AM
My father told me not 2 weeks ago that mom's CHEVY Malibu got 44 mpg going to New York and back. 

v/r
Mike

What year and engine/trans combo?

mikepmcs

2005 Chevy Malibu .  Just got off the phone with my Mother and all she could tell me was it is a 6cylinder/automatic.  Dad's at church so she said she'll ask him to double check the powerplant when he comes home. 
v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

ds440

I have an '02 Acura RSX (base model, NOT a Type-S) and I consistently get 35-37 mpg highway.  The only add-on is a K&N filter and the car has 185,000 miles and climbing.

My wife has an '08 Honda Civic LX Coupe (4cyl, auto, gas powered) and she gets 36-38 highway - also with a K&N filter.

Oddly enough I have a friend who has an '06 Malibu (6cyl, auto) and he has told me that he gets excellent highway MPGs, but horrible city.  I don't recall the exact numbers, however....
1968 Charger R/T, 440 auto.

mikepmcs

Ok, my Father just called.  It's a 3.5.   He said he got 44.6 from Bristol Va to Memphis, TN on the way to Texas, so I was mistaken on the New York trip.
He was in traffic quite a bit going to NY and said he got 38-41 but the average speed was somewhere in the 45 mph range for total trip there due to construction.

He said this one(2005) averages 38-41 on trips with the cruise set at around 63 and the A/C on the whole time. But he did break the 46 mpg mark in that one stretch.
The average mpg from the VA to TX trip was 41.5.

My Mother's 99 Malibu averaged 34-36 he said as well.

He said he even went to the dealership and told them they are advertising the car wrong as far as MPG.   :shruggy:

So I guess if your spouse has a good long commute with reasonable traffic, you should be in there.  I would definitely try to find some other numbers on the Malibu from owners but it seems like a decent alternative to having to go foreign.

He also said it drops to mid to high 20's around town, but Northern Va is stop and go everywhere so take that with a grain of salt, also my Mother's nickname is Mario and has been as long as I can remember. :yesnod:

I'm definitely my Mother's son. :icon_smile_big:  (is that an oxymoron?)

Hope this helps a little.

v/r
Mike

mikepmcs

DS, I thought the same thing about the City mpg when my Father told me the around town mileage but just figured it was because of my mom's wanting to drive like Andretti everywhere she goes.

bull

That's really good mpg for a V6.

I just checked the Malibu on fueleconomy.gov and they're saying the '05 gets an average of 29.8 city/hwy based on 15 reports. I also double checked the Jetta diesel, an '02 example, and with 15 reports they're showing a city/hwy average of 47.1 mpg. :o

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

mikepmcs

I didn't know a diesel was in the mix... get yourself a vw truck in the rabbit style days.  53 all day long.

I was just trying to keep you on the big 3 track :D

v/r
Mike

Mike DC

No way a normal V6 Malibu gets that kind of mileage.  There must be a mistake somewhere. 

44 mpg is 2000-pound stick-shifted 4-banger territory.

craigandlynda

the cost of fuel is only one cost of owning a vehicle....too many people seem to forget about depreciation,  insurance, frequency of repair, etc....and of course, safety...

my old 85 dodge pickup(slant 6, stick shift) gets about 16 around town, 19-20 on the road....

tuesday morning, i was behind an isuzu pickup- probably gets twice the fuel mileage...she stopped short, (no brake or taillites), i slammed on the brakes, and skidded into her, bumping her hard enough to put my grill into the radiator and a few bends in my front bumper.  her isuzu was a total, the bed crumpling up like the cheap-ass tin can that it was...it was a total from a 10 mph bump...i have already fixed my dodge, and will be driving it again tuesday.  the isuzu will have to be replaced. but at least it was cheap on gas.

btw, i al;ways like a thread that starts with a "math challenge".   reminds me of the constipated mathemetician...he worked it out with a pencil. :P

mikepmcs

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 31, 2008, 04:48:07 PM
No way a normal V6 Malibu gets that kind of mileage.  There must be a mistake somewhere. 

44 mpg is 2000-pound stick-shifted 4-banger territory.

Mikey, my Father would never make that up, :cheers: trust me.

Mike DC

I hear ya, but I just can't believe the number. 

(Was it all while going downhill?)   :shruggy:

rollingthunder

I've seen neon's with 4 bangers with sticks get 38 and auto's get 35  mpg they are cheap.
life's to short have a blast before its gone.

gordo1968charger

Quote from: bull on August 30, 2008, 12:07:30 AM
Quote from: PocketThunder on August 29, 2008, 10:43:48 PM

It's for her mostly. If it was only my commute it wouldn't be a big deal but she really has a way of racking up the miles on our Durango (that gets 15 mpg around town if I'm lucky). And I'm not going to have two car payments -- I don't even want one payment. I was thinking about getting a VW turbo diesel, most likely a Jetta, because I hear they can run forever, don't cost a lot and get in the high 40s for gas mileage. For my commute I'll probably stick with the bus and bike at least 4 out of 5 days a week.
jettas are good,rebadged as a skoda octavia though,used as taxis throughout  the uk,300000+ miles on some i ve used,engines go forever,gearboxes do nt however.
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs