News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

clones?

Started by 2much2learn, August 30, 2008, 12:31:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2much2learn

are they worth the same? whats the deal? just curious, like how much would a 71 super bee clone sell for? :shruggy:
I say " determined to restore the Charger" SHE hears " Stubborn to throw your money away"   dx_Xb

PocketThunder

Gotta picture of the one your considering 2much?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Drache

all depends on who you sell it to!  :icon_smile_big:

Personally I dont care if it's a clone as long as if you take the time to clone it do it right! Do I expect to pay the same price as a real super bee of course not but I would pay more than a standard non clone car if the time was done to do the clone properly! That make sense?
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

nakita7

Personally, I think 71 and up cars are still affordable enough that you can and should just buy a real one and don't waste your time on a clone. Too many people have started cloning them and have put so much money into them, they are asking sometimes more than what you can buy a real one for. The cost of restoration is ALWAYS grossly underestimated. Kind of feel the same way about 68-70 Superbee/Roadrunner clones...why? A proper restoration costs $20+K, so why start with a $5-10,000 car, get $30K into the car with resto, when you can buy an original/restored REAL car for $15-30K??? The whole 'HemiCuda convertible clone' thing really blew things out of proportion. Yes, high dollar cars like that, Wing Cars etc should be cloned. Why risk smashing up a real one? But, any car that can be bought for under $30K does NOT need to be cloned IMHO.

In answer to your question, I've seen real 71 Bees sell for $1000 to $15-25K for drivers and more for Six Pack cars. Not sure what the price is on the one your looking at, but I'm sure you could find a real one for a similar price if you look hard enough...

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: nakita7 on August 30, 2008, 01:19:53 AM
Personally, I think 71 and up cars are still affordable enough that you can and should just buy a real one and don't waste your time on a clone. Too many people have started cloning them and have put so much money into them, they are asking sometimes more than what you can buy a real one for. The cost of restoration is ALWAYS grossly underestimated. Kind of feel the same way about 68-70 Superbee/Roadrunner clones...why? A proper restoration costs $20+K, so why start with a $5-10,000 car, get $30K into the car with resto, when you can buy an original/restored REAL car for $15-30K??? The whole 'HemiCuda convertible clone' thing really blew things out of proportion. Yes, high dollar cars like that, Wing Cars etc should be cloned. Why risk smashing up a real one? But, any car that can be bought for under $30K does NOT need to be cloned IMHO.

In answer to your question, I've seen real 71 Bees sell for $1000 to $15-25K for drivers and more for Six Pack cars. Not sure what the price is on the one your looking at, but I'm sure you could find a real one for a similar price if you look hard enough...
I was at a Mopar show one day and commented on that there were more 71 Hemi Cuda convs there than Plymouth made originally.    :icon_smile_wink:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

280bb0

Im in the process right now and what has been said is very true. Ill have way more money in my 72 then its worth however I would have never had the money up front to buy the real deal, My son and I would never had the time we spent together working on it and when its all said and done I will beable to say I built a car the way I wanted . So its depends on the persons situation.

pettyfan43

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on August 30, 2008, 05:48:32 AM
Quote from: nakita7 on August 30, 2008, 01:19:53 AM

I was at a Mopar show one day and commented on that there were more 71 Hemi Cuda convs there than Plymouth made originally.    :icon_smile_wink:

Oh there is NO doubt about that, That goes for just about any Hemi car I think!

pettyfan43

The great thing about clones, is that they are cars you can enjoy!!!

I have a 66 Charger, originally a 318 auto and not much else. I don't think I have ever seen another first gen Charger without power steering besides mine.

Mine now has a 440, 727 and is getting the heavy duty torsion bars and springs, as well as Disc front brakes and the bigger drums on the rear.

Basically my car will be a 66 Charger R/T even though they never made such.

I also have a 73 Charger S/E that came with a 318 that if I keep it, will get a big block and all of the heavy duty stuff. It already has the bulge hood and spoilers. And I have the 71 R/T style taillights and the hideaway headlight grille.

You can enjoy a clone because you can drive and tinker with them without the worries of screwing up a true collector's item.