News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need help With Rim/Tire Choice.. 15's or 17's... you decide

Started by 69charger2002, August 28, 2008, 01:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

15's "old school" or 17's "new school"

halibrand knockoff 15's
24 (77.4%)
KMC chrome 17's
7 (22.6%)

Total Members Voted: 31

jaak

Chunk both of em and get some steelies with dog dishes... that would look better.

CHRGR SE

Either looks good. On a car that size, 17-20 look pretty normal to me.
Under construction 1973 Charger SE/RT resto-mod.

chargerboy69

Travis,

Well since you asked. I am a big wheel guy myself, I run 17's and 18's, however, I do not like either. Those 17's are not my style, and I defiantly am not in to the "old school"  or stock look. The 17's might look better if you drop the car a couple inches front and rear.

Stance. . when you throw on a larger wheel, you need to drop the car down. Just my opinion. Sorry, I feel like I just pissed in your Corn Flakes. The car is sweet no matter what.  :2thumbs:

Tim
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

71green go

I like both looks......But I agree I am not crazy about those 17" rims...Torque thrusts in a 17" would look way better and still a vintage look.....I really like your car though!  :2thumbs:

Hemidoug

17s....then you can sell me those 15s for my 65 Plymouth... :drool5: :nana:

Are those the ET slots?
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

Mass_Mopar

I love 17s and 18s on 2nd gen's, but yours looks much better with the 15's.  The design on the 17s just does not fit the car or do it justice.  The 15's do look awesome though, do they make the same wheel in 17s and 18s? :drool5:
-Nick

70 Charger 500 383/833 pistol grip 3.91sg
71 New Yorker 440/Auto
04 Ram 5.7L 4x4 5spd 3.92 Auburn Posi
Old screen name MA_Young_Gun

bill440rt

Quote from: Hemidog on August 28, 2008, 03:20:42 PM
15's for sure, those 17's look out of place....

I have to agree here. I'm a fan of BOTH smaller 15" sizes & larger diameter wheels, say up to 20", but those definitely look out of place.
I'm not even sure I like those 15's, either. Something looks out of place with the rear offset or wheel width, the tire almost looks too "balooney". Looks like the wheel is too wide for the tire.
Just being honest... sorry...  :icon_smile_dissapprove:

:Twocents:

The car is AWESOME, though!!!   :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

mikesbbody

out of those 2 choices, its gotta be the 15's hands down  :2thumbs: having said that i have seen some good 17+ wheel combos from members here. As mentioned, i think the problem is the STYLE of the 17's not so much the 17's size. Ill always be a 15 guy myself  :yesnod:

69charger2002

Quote from: jaak on August 28, 2008, 06:03:29 PM
Chunk both of em and get some steelies with dog dishes... that would look better.

ACk!  :eek2: it had steelies when i brought it home. couldn't WAIT to get them off. i still have them in my building

i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Dans 68

Quote from: 69charger2002 on August 28, 2008, 11:09:40 PM
Quote from: jaak on August 28, 2008, 06:03:29 PM

ACk!  :eek2: it had steelies when i brought it home. couldn't WAIT to get them off. i still have them in my building

The steelies look 5x better than the 17''s. Another  :Twocents: worth.  :P

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

SFRT

Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Daytona R/T SE

Put the steelies back on, but with redlines dog dishes instead of the cop car dishes.

The 15" Halibrands aren't bad, but to me anything over a 15 inch wheel on these old cars just looks

WAY out of place...

Every time I see a Charger or any other old car with those goofy looking big wheels on it I start looking

around for Exhibit...

Are you ready? "Cause "We're about to pimp your ride"

Might as well put a neon lighted goldfish tank in the ashtray  :eek2:

Just another old farts's opinion  :Twocents:

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

79JON

Id say niether Travis...  GO WITH THE STEELIES!!!!  :2thumbs:  haha  But if its between the two other set of rims.. i say no way to the 17's..  15's look alot better.

Chris

Foreman72

if we're talking about which wheels look better 15" ones or 17" ones...i would say 17" (but...i can't afford them so i'm getting 15" :icon_smile_big:)

but if we're talking about THOSE 15" and 17" wheels...i don't really like either...but the 15"s are the better of the two...

i also belive in deep dish wheels w/ big sidewall, wide-as-heck, white letter tires...but that wasn't the question  :lol: guess that makes me a young fart :coolgleamA:

good luck :2thumbs:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: PocketThunder on August 28, 2008, 04:57:57 PM
I think the problem is the style of those 17's.  not all 17's look bad on a muscle car.

Gotta agree. I like 17s and 18s (some of us have/will have to go that route with big brakes anyhow), but that style just doesn't do anything for me.

How's the Charger farm, Trav?
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

69charger2002

ah the charger farm has shrunken some but is doing fine. thanks for all the input so far guys.. i think from the general consensus those 17's are a no go for the car, and those polished 15's are the lesser of 2 evils.. i am just not a fan of steelies and rallyes, i just can't put those on that car. maybe if it was a hemi car or something.. maybe i'll have to come up with a plan C. i was so excited too..
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

mikepmcs

how about tt's painted/powdered the same color, just a thought to get the brain working. :2thumbs:

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

TheGhost

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

C500

"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

bmoparmofo

Looks good either way but I vote for the 15's,sweet car!
69 charger 383 t5, 67 newport 383, 67 newport custom 383

Dodge Don

Just my personal tastes however I don't like either of those wheels.

Oh...and 15s over 17 bling bling wheels anytime.