News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

"leak proof" exhaust gaskets?

Started by AKcharger, August 27, 2008, 11:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

I need a manifold to exhaust pipe gasket, I thought somewhere I saw advertised "leak proof all copper" gasket? For some reason I keep blowing them out, on the drivers side anyway. Both the manifold and the pipe are flat and clean but still a leak develops after just a few miles...any suggesions?

frederick

You blow out the copper gaskets?

Did you have trouble installing the downpipe to the manifold?
It could be the surfaces aren't level with each other when bolting them down.
You do work from the front to the back when installing the exhaust I presume- otherwise strain is put on the joints.

Frederick

Ghoste

I had a set of the copper ones and didn't find them to be so leak proof.  I have a set of the Fel Pro header gaskets on there now with some of the copper sealant around each port and that has worked well.

firefighter3931

Bill, try using some permatex "Ultra Copper" rtv on both sides of the gasket....let it set up overnight before torquing them down tight and it will be good to go. The ultra copper is designed for extreme temps....don't use anything else.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

AKcharger

I'm using just standard ol' manifold to pipe gaskets, Steel ring surrounded by regular gasket material. Both surfaces are flush, clean and mate up nicely that's why it's so puzling

"Ultra copper" sealant huh? I'll give that a try