News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any advice on removing a transmission???

Started by colocolino, August 27, 2008, 09:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colocolino

Hey fellas, I am looking for a rebuild on a 727 and I thought it would be smart to ask the experts and any beginners like me who have gone thru the process for their take. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

darkfiire5000

Be very organized and take pictures, I used my digital camera worked like a charm. :icon_smile_big:

terrible one

1) Disconnect the transmission cooling lines as well as the wire that goes to the safety switch or whatever.
2) Disconnect the shifter linkage at the rod going into the transmission
3) Remove inspection cover and unbolt the torque converter from the flexplate. A flashlight will help. You'll have to turn the engine over to get to each of the bolts, but it's not a big task.
4) Unbolt driveshaft from third member so that you can drop it down and pull it toward the rear of the car; the yoke will slide off of the transmission tailshaft.
5) Supporting the transmission with whatever you choose, remove the bolts that attach the transmission crossmember to the frame. (This just seems like the easiest way from me, note that you will have to seperate the transmission and crossmember once it's out)
6) Drop it

colocolino

Sweet!! I cant wait to get to it tomorrow.  :icon_smile_big: ... By the way for anyone whose looking for the same info, I found this to be helpful as well in the search box: How to seperate 440 from 727 tranny? Pulling Motor please give input. thanks again

Ghoste

Wouldn't hurt to have a helper too as they can be heavy.  Have the car as high from the floor as you can safely get it and plug the rear of the tailstock when you remove the driveshaft.  One of the plastic plugs made for that purpose works great but you can put a rag or something there too if need be.  If you don't, be prepared for the fact that trans fluid will leak out of there during the removal.

70 500

This is coincidental because i just removed my 727 auto from my 383, I was wondering if while I rebuild it if anyone has any tricks up there sleeve for the actual rebuild, or anything i should replace or do while i have it torn apart
hold my beer, this is gonna be fun

terrible one

Quote from: 70 500 on August 28, 2008, 12:55:40 PM
This is coincidental because i just removed my 727 auto from my 383, I was wondering if while I rebuild it if anyone has any tricks up there sleeve for the actual rebuild, or anything i should replace or do while i have it torn apart

Talk to member RD on here.  :2thumbs: