News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How can I safely vent gas tank

Started by Old School, August 28, 2008, 08:42:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old School

I have a 74 charger with a 71,72 or 73 gas tank in it. i do not have a charcoal canister. How
can I safely vent this gas tank. The cap helps some but there is still a good amount of pressure.

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

FLG

Was thinking the same thing myself.

Why cant we just run a hose from the line down under the car (towards the front wheel well). Or i was thinking, drill a small hole in the inner fender and simply run the vent line out there. I dont see why it would be a problem venting into the wheel well area. Well out of heat and away from the engine. 

Old School

I thought of the line under the car as well, but if you park in a garage I would suspect the it could get pretty
strong smelling in there. I also thought of venting into the intake manifold but not sure how that would work out either.

FLG

It could. Curious about how bad the fumes would get? Or would it not be too bad since the car isnt causing the tank to build up pressure. Ideas? Where can i find a vented cap? Will a older charger gas cap work?

Old School

I actually tried the line under the car and the fumes where pretty strong after sitting overnight. The gas cap not sure of
it came on the car. Do any of the 71,72 or 73 cars list a vented gas cap? I don't believe the 74 does.

FLG

Dont think anything past 70 had a vented cap. How about the line under the car with a small breather?

Old School

I looked for some kind of filter awhile ago at the local parts stores and came up empty.
I wonder how hard it would be to make our own canister. The charcoal used I think should
be similar to the charcoal at the pet stores. Maybe? Not sure.

FLG

I just think its nice having more room and less vacuum lines running around. You can probably pick up a used canister at any junkyard or on ebay. I think for now im going to put a line going under the car and just pull it off and cap the vent when i park it in the garage. Might be a hassle but i dont see any other way at the moment.

Old School

I maybe stretching this just a bit, but what are the chances that a filter for a aquarium would work well
enough to filter the fumes. That would easily be hidden under the car.

rt green

get a small canister and mount it towards the rear of the car. run the vac hose to the carb. one extra vac  line.
third string oil changer

NMike

what is wrong with the tank holding pressure? you save the fuel vapors from leaving the tank? extra fuel pressure boost for the pump.

GeneralLeeTESH

Ambient temperature has a lot to do with safety. The hotter it is outside-the more the gas vapors expand causing a dangerous situation !
The TESH

FLG

Im going to try to raid the parts stores today and see what i can come up with  :yesnod:

FLG

OK guys...i believe i have an answer...possibly but i need to test more

I took my cap and analyzed it. It has a vent but theres a spring..thus taking ALOT of pressure to actually vent. I carefully pryed it out cut the spring and put it back together then blew into it re-opened it and adjusted the spring until i had it so it only took slight pressure to open the valve.

I ran the car all night driving around and removed the cap numerous times...ive yet to get any pressure built up in the tank. This is with my vent going to the engine bay capped off.

I will do more experimenting tomorrow, but it looks like this might work  :2thumbs:

If this does work, i will post a tutorial with pics.

FLG

So far its been good. But temps are low over here so i dont know how well its working. Will continue to update and post pics of the modification.

BMOTOXSTAR

Man,
The tank on my 74' Satellite builds up tons of pressure. When it is low and I go to put fuel in during the summer, that things makes a vacuum seal noise. :eek2:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: BMOTOXSTAR on October 20, 2008, 09:06:39 PM
Man,
The tank on my 74' Satellite builds up tons of pressure. When it is low and I go to put fuel in during the summer, that things makes a vacuum seal noise. :eek2:

whistling... right ?

same here!

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

BMOTOXSTAR

Yep,
  I guess it is doing it's job for the pressure tank. :scratchchin:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Nacho-RT74

what makes WHISTLE is not any kind of valve on cap, is the seal releasing pressure what makes that nosie when gets the small gap because the pressure. I'm using a Stant cap what is supposelly vented.

hutch

well I dont know if the way I did it was the best way but it works so far.  I ran a hose up  from the vent on the sending unit up to the top of my rear wheel well and put a check valve on the end to keep any road water from working its way back into the tank.  I have no idea if its the right thing to do or not. 

mine is a 73 se and it had 4 vent lines off the drivers side of the tank and a return line of some kind coming back from the engine area.  I just capped all that off because I did not want to deal with it. :shruggy:
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"