News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Latch tray bolt length? Update: Cheap source for these bolts...

Started by Daytona R/T SE, August 23, 2008, 01:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxwellwedge

Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 03, 2009, 07:25:20 PM
Well - Disco has the bolts as shown above with the captive washer around the same diameter as the head. Doc has a way larger diameter washer. I can measure the both and post sizes, head markings if you want.

OK - Had to run out to my shop and had a quick peek. Disco-Tona (small washer) has ELH head markings. I can give a guess for know and say other markings were probably used as well.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: johntpr on March 03, 2009, 07:52:41 PM
Frank Badalson sells a whole kit with right bolts and J nuts. They are in his catalog.     www.rogergibsonautorestoration.com
What do you have on your cars Big John?

gtx6970

3/4" washer on the left - 5/8" washer on the right - both 1/4-20 x3/4" length with a pilot point both in stock at $1 each

CornDogsCharger

The latch tray on the car that I am restoring was missing about 4-5 of these bolts.  I'll check the heads on the bolts that were removed.  I'm not positive, but I think they had the bolts pictured on the right in the photo above.  The not had been swapped out at one point so it's hard to say if they were original.  I'm glad I stumbled on this topic because I have been playing "correct" nut and bolt search all day today :)

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

maxwellwedge

Quote from: CornDogsCharger on March 03, 2009, 09:59:06 PM
The latch tray on the car that I am restoring was missing about 4-5 of these bolts.  I'll check the heads on the bolts that were removed.  I'm not positive, but I think they had the bolts pictured on the right in the photo above.  The not had been swapped out at one point so it's hard to say if they were original.  I'm glad I stumbled on this topic because I have been playing "correct" nut and bolt search all day today :)

Justin
"CornDog"

We are talking Daytona here - I'll check the ones on my Bird for you.

CornDogsCharger

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

maxwellwedge

Quote from: CornDogsCharger on March 03, 2009, 10:21:48 PM
Oh, ok... cool, thanks

Justin
"CornDog"

No Prob - not sure if they use the same stuff so a look is in order.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 03, 2009, 10:24:40 PM
Quote from: CornDogsCharger on March 03, 2009, 10:21:48 PM
Oh, ok... cool, thanks

Justin
"CornDog"

No Prob - not sure if they use the same stuff so a look is in order.

Hi Justin,
My Bird isn't home yet but Frank Badalson says the Bird's usually have the same bolts as the Daytona's.
Jim

CornDogsCharger

I checked and the bolts that were in the Superbird that I am restoring had the anchor on top... but there were two different sizes.  I still need four of these bolts if anyone has spares. 

The next picture was taken from an unrestored Superbird that I looked at yesterday.  These did not have the anchor design but had a "M" instead.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

Aero426

XS29J

mine has the ANCHOR and a few SEMS

gtx6970

all avail
M - 7/8" length with 3/4" washer

gtx6970

anchor - 3/4" length with 3/4" washer

gtx6970

anchor - 3/4" length with 5/8" washer

gtx6970

ELH - 3/4" length - with 5/8" washer

gtx6970

Question is, if buildings kits for these , which one do I use ? or should it be a mixture of maybe 2 ? or maybe 3 ?

obviously they used what ever was avail

maxwellwedge

Quote from: gtx6970 on March 09, 2009, 07:29:24 AM
Question is, if buildings kits for these , which one do I use ? or should it be a mixture of maybe 2 ? or maybe 3 ?

obviously they used what ever was avail

They really had no rhyme nor reason. In the first pic the washer is the same diameter as the head. This is typical on a bunch of Daytona's and Birds we have seen as well.

CornDogsCharger

This is what Dave Patik told me.  When the crew was buildding the Superbirds (I'm sure Daytonas too), the crewmen each work a tool belt with many pouches.  When installing a part, the man would reach into his pouch belt, bull out a bolt or nut and zip it into the panel.  Dave said that it was common to him mismatched bolts.  On the Vit C car that I am restoring, the hood hinges had never been removed.  It had three different style bolts. 

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

maxwellwedge

Hood hinges usually have different bolts - small and large washer - On most stuff I have/had/seen.

r4daytona

So I've read this and am still confused.  Is there a general consensus as to which latch tray bolt would be considered the most correct to have?  If so, which?  Anchor, sems, ELH ???

maxwellwedge

If yours are missing - then all bets are off as to what was originally on there. In that case - I would just get a complete set from Frank and be done with it. He has seen at least as many original cars as anyone else and probably has the "typically" seen fasteners in his sets.  :2thumbs:

DoubleDlover

hi. I just looked though his whole catalog. I didn't see superbird latch tray bolts hardware anywere in there. Maybe they are discontinued not avalible anymore??

r4daytona

Quote from: maxwellwedge on January 23, 2014, 02:23:55 PM
If yours are missing - then all bets are off as to what was originally on there. In that case - I would just get a complete set from Frank and be done with it. He has seen at least as many original cars as anyone else and probably has the "typically" seen fasteners in his sets.  :2thumbs:

Yes, mine were missing.  ALL of the hardware for my nose was gone.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but they look like nothing more than a body/fender bolt in shape however, they have the head markings??  I did look on Badalson's site and didn't find the hardware either.   Guess I might just find some small washer body/fender bolts and make due with that until something more accurate comes along.  What would an unoffical poll from you guys think of that approach ??

DAY CLONA

Quote from: XS29J on March 08, 2009, 11:36:37 AM
mine has the ANCHOR and a few SEMS

I supply the SEMS 1/4-20x1" w/ 5/8" captive spinning washer with my steel repro latch trays, Dorman PN# 700-300 box of 25, $10 from Autozone, CARQUEST, NAPA

mike

maxwellwedge

Quote from: DoubleDlover on January 24, 2014, 05:41:41 AM
hi. I just looked though his whole catalog. I didn't see superbird latch tray bolts hardware anywere in there. Maybe they are discontinued not avalible anymore??

If you call or email him he will have them - his catalog is big and he doesn't list everything he has. I'll email him and post the results.