News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

is there a FULL VIN# somewhere stamped on a 2nd gen Charger please?

Started by CB, August 23, 2008, 10:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CB

The car inspection refused to register my Charger because they couldn't find a full VIN# on the car (frame).
The vin tag on the dashboard is not enough, the fender tag is also not enough...

So is there a full (XP29H9Bxxxxxx ) number on a Charger stamped somewhere? I noticed numbers on the radiator support but that's not the complete VIN#.

If not, I am forced to pay a towing to a licenced homologation company + homologation + a new inspection.

I already throw away 150 bucks for nothing  :flame:
Thanks
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Charger-Bodie

The only FULL Vehicle Identification Number on the body of you're Charger should be the dash plate.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

resq302

Wow.  Sounds like they are being a bunch of real A-holes.  Even if you have the title that has the VIN, they won't inspect it?  You should also tell them that there are supposed "hidden" partial VINs on the car but unless they want to take the entire car apart, they will never see them with the car assembled.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

69charger2002

what did they do on the cuda when you got it? unless it had a fender tag and this one doesn;t?? all of them only have the partial VIN on them. man i can't imagine what they would do if you brought a 68 over, and the VIN doesn't match the rad support at all. talk about a mess
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

CB

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

tan top

no full vin  stamped on the body 
    only the last six numbers   of the vin on the  core( radiator) support  &  under the trunk rubber weather strip ..on the drivers side about half way down  :yesnod:  ...... what about the vin on the motor & trans ..if yours is a early 69 car ...ie built in late 68 it will have the full vin on the transmission & motor ,  but  the later 69 cars part vin should still be ok .. ......... what  a bout the broadcast sheet ... show  these guys that & match the fender tag , vin plate   body numbers  up with that  ... :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Nacho-RT74

On 3rd gens there is an extra tag hidden down the rear package tray, far driver side rear corner... but still a plate, not on sheetmetal
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Finn

If you were to buy a metal stamp kit and place it somewhere yourself, what are the chances of them knowing its not factory?
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Charger1973

Quote from: Finn on August 23, 2008, 03:10:30 PM
If you were to buy a metal stamp kit and place it somewhere yourself, what are the chances of them knowing its not factory?

Considering they dont know that there isnt a VIN and dont know where to look for this supposed full VIN, I would say they wouldnt have a clue.

BB1

Delete my profile

CB

Quote from: BB1 on August 23, 2008, 06:40:41 PM
Have you ever thought about moving to North America?

In a mater of fact, yes, many times, but your government uses one of the hardest immigration policy in the world.  :-\
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Musicman

The only thing required for a vehicle built prior to 1981 in my state is a Bill Of Sale  :nana:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Would engine or trans suffice?  Most times there is a full VIN stamped there if its #'s matching
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

PocketThunder

Quote from: CB on August 23, 2008, 07:07:09 PM

In a mater of fact, yes, many times, but your government uses one of the hardest immigration policy in the world.  :-\

C'mon, people are moving here every day in droves!   ;D
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

69charger2002

all you have to do is move to mexico first, then jump a damn fence or swim through a river   :brickwall:
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

hemi-hampton

Here in Michigan I just needed a Cop to look at my Vin in Windsheild. When I showed him the Vin on fender tag & core support he said it was not necessary & then seemed surprise they were there & I knew what each letter meant ::)   LEON

CB

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on August 23, 2008, 08:54:51 PM
Would engine or trans suffice?  Most times there is a full VIN stamped there if its #'s matching

the numbers need to be stamped on the frame so it can't be replaced easily.
it is a #'s matching car but they don't give a damn.
I read about this common issue that the owner should write to the appropriate authorities to obtain the permission to get it stamped in.
you got to send in all the papers like the title, broadcastsheet, bill of sale, etc and they will 'get back to you'...
yes you guessed it ..., it can take up to 8 weeks if you are an unlucky person  :brickwall:

I allready lost half of my 2 week vacation hunting down the electrical bug in my Charger and get it licenced
I am afraid cruising season is over for me :'(
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

rav440

Quote from: CB on August 23, 2008, 07:07:09 PM

really  :scratchchin:  :smilielol:
maybe move to friggn mexico first . then you should be able to walk right in with no problem .

as for the VIN# what more do they want ?  :shruggy: the FULL VIN is on the dash plate hense VIN TAG . i wonder if they think there should be more #s because new cars have 16-18 digits insted of the 13 or so from the old days  :shruggy:
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

rav440

Quote from: CB on August 24, 2008, 03:53:44 AM
Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on August 23, 2008, 08:54:51 PM

the numbers need to be stamped on the frame so it can't be replaced easily.
it is a #'s matching car but they don't give a damn.
I read about this common issue that the owner should write to the appropriate authorities to obtain the permission to get it stamped in.
you got to send in all the papers like the title, broadcastsheet, bill of sale, etc and they will 'get back to you'...
yes you guessed it ..., it can take up to 8 weeks if you are an unlucky person  :brickwall:

I allready lost half of my 2 week vacation hunting down the electrical bug in my Charger and get it licenced
I am afraid cruising seison is over for me :'(

how can the #s be stamped on the frame ? when there is no frame . i really dont understand what these guys want . being a UNIBODY car i would think the #s stamped elsewhere on the car should surfice .
isnt there any other inspection place you can take the CHARGER to ? say like guys that dont have  thier heads up thier ass .
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

RDR838

I wonder what those guys (those inspectors) think they are there for? To get cars licensed or to find whatever reason thinkable not get them licensed!

My car needed the VIN stamped into the frame aswell before registering my car (in Germany that is) and it had to be on the passenger's side.

I did it myself, borrowed the tools for it and the inspector was happy. Why should you need to get the permission to get it stamped in? Just do it. There can't be a law saying you're not allowed to stamp the VIN into your car! I've seen VINs cauterised (is that the right word? using acid to write the letters and numbers 'into' the glass) into all the windows of a car. That's not illegal I guess?

If you stamped the VIN in to the frame now and told the inspector you coincidentally found that VIN and think some previous owner did that back in the states, what could he say? And what yould be the difference between the VIN that was stamped in with permission and the one without?

Stories like these make me mad!

Good luck!

RDR838

mikepmcs

I wonder if that is the reason newer cars have the vins everywhere, dash plates, door pillars, etc....

sorry for your troubles, hope it gets sorted quickly.   

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Charger_Fan

Man, that's really lame. :rotz: Hope it works out well for you.

Oh & just practice saying "no habla engleese", they'll let you right in AND give you lots of free stuff to reward you for your efforts. :smilielol: :rotz:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Nacho-RT74

now I'm wondering... how it was with your earliers mopars ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

CB

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on August 24, 2008, 02:28:33 PM
now I'm wondering... how it was with your earliers mopars ?

NEVER had troubles with them, always inspected with my old plates
(all got registred without having a stamped vin#: '70 Chrysler 300, '72 Charger, '69 Charger, '72 Barracuda and also my other cars : '70 Ranchero GT and '64 Impala)  :shruggy:
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

ChargerSG

Same thing here in Sweden, but cars older than 69(68 and back) dont need it. Every Charger i had(never own a 68) i had to have it stamped on the pass framerail, you have to have it heated like hell to stamp it(and it have to be right size on the numbers to). Just idiotic rules that the EU have made up... :RantExplode: Hope it works out for you.
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166