News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New member -- Help with HLPAG.

Started by jb666, August 20, 2008, 06:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

41husk

In this market, you should be able to find a very nice GL clone for well under the 35k line.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

jb666

Quote from: 41husk on August 21, 2008, 02:32:12 PM
In this market, you should be able to find a very nice GL clone for well under the 35k line.

Well... Any help anyone might want to give in my quest I'll be eternally grateful!!

Plus, I'll promise to be a loyal postwhore around here  :icon_smile_big:

No, seriously, it's more of an EXPERTISE thing here.. You guys know what you're looking for in a car.. I'm simply going for my DREAM and I don't want my dreams to blur my vision.

bamadukefan02

Over on the Confederate General Lee Fan Club, CGLFC.com there is a guy who's screen name is CaliforniaDoug.  He also has the ads on ebay advertising Lees for 35k.  I don't know of anyone who has bought one of his cars, someone here might have more details on him.  Another option is Profesor Patrick of http://www.scotleaidolrods.com/about_us.htm he is a little higher priced than the Smith Bros or CaliforniaDoug, but it is agreed by many on the cglfc.com that he is the best and well worth the money.

Holt

jb666

Quote from: bamadukefan02 on August 21, 2008, 02:50:45 PM
Over on the Confederate General Lee Fan Club, CGLFC.com there is a guy who's screen name is CaliforniaDoug.  He also has the ads on ebay advertising Lees for 35k.  I don't know of anyone who has bought one of his cars, someone here might have more details on him.  Another option is Profesor Patrick of http://www.scotleaidolrods.com/about_us.htm he is a little higher priced than the Smith Bros or CaliforniaDoug, but it is agreed by many on the cglfc.com that he is the best and well worth the money.

Holt

I contacted the guy in CA.. The only "problem" with him is right now he's taking orders. Being on the complete opposite side of the country, I'm very leery on sending someone that amount of money and not getting anything in return for weeks/months.

Death1970Proof

Holt

Sounds like the fellow that sells the black chargers on ebay as well right? The ones pictured with the american racing wheels? If they look half as good as the pictures those are very nice cars done there!!
"Remember when I said this car was death proof? Well that wasnt' a lie-this car is 100%death proof- only to get the benefit of it honey you really need to be sitting in my seat"...

bamadukefan02

Yep its the guy that sells the black Chargers on Ebay. 

Holt

Blown70

Quote from: jb666 on August 21, 2008, 03:32:04 PM

Holt

I contacted the guy in CA.. The only "problem" with him is right now he's taking orders. Being on the complete opposite side of the country, I'm very leery on sending someone that amount of money and not getting anything in return for weeks/months.

Good glad your not one of those to send $20,000 and wonder what happened.  There are good people in the industry but you do have to BE VERY CAREFUL.... at least he was not willing to take an order, that is good to hear.

THE COLONEL

Holt

I agree with bamadukefan.  I think Californiadoug has a DVD out on how he builds them, and Professor Patrick at www.scotleaidolrods.com, and the Smith Brothers at www.smithbrosrestorations.com are your best bets if you want one built for you.

One other thing abot HLPAG.....what does it tell you that their main sponsor is bondo! :scratchchin:
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

joflaig

Quote from: jb666 on August 21, 2008, 03:32:04 PM

Holt

jb666, as someone who went throught the same thing you are doing, my advice is to take your time and learn as much about mopars and specifically chargers beforehand. Getting a GL when you suddenly have the cash to do so gets to be a real emotional thing, so just resist that. Wait 6 months and learn as much as possible first. AND go with some reputable like Professor Patrick.

Brock Samson

One member here has bought a '69 4 speed r/t dana rear from them code named "The Scow"... no one seems to be able to figure out who this is however...  :icon_smile_wink: inspite of numerous threads....

Mike DC

Get a pre-built GL if you find a good one, but you just might not wanna limit your search to GLs alone.   

The orange paint, decals, pushbar, rollbar, and GL wheels . . . that whole grand total can be amassed for not much more than $3K.

Even including a set of tan vinyl seatcovers & door panels & carpet, you'll probably still be around $5K in the parts total.

First and foremost you're shopping for a decent '68-69 Charger. 

And first/foremost on that list, is a complete & running car, with all its rust issues fixed correctly, that's in the ballpark of the overall condition that you want your final product to be in. 

jb666

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 21, 2008, 05:36:24 PM

Get a pre-built GL if you find a good one, but you just might not wanna limit your search to GLs alone.   

The orange paint, decals, pushbar, rollbar, and GL wheels . . . that whole grand total can be amassed for not much more than $3K.

Even including a set of tan vinyl seatcovers & door panels & carpet, you'll probably still be around $5K in the parts total.

First and foremost you're shopping for a decent '68-69 Charger. 

And first/foremost on that list, is a complete & running car, with all its rust issues fixed correctly, that's in the ballpark of the overall condition that you want your final product to be in. 

No offense, but paint/decals/pushbar/rollbar & wheels for $3k??? 

I know , to paint alone, I'm looking at roughly $12-15k for show quality.

Joshua

Quote from: jb666 on August 21, 2008, 05:43:07 PM
No offense, but paint/decals/pushbar/rollbar & wheels for $3k??? 

I know , to paint alone, I'm looking at roughly $12-15k for show quality.

You want a "show" quality paint job on a GL clone?
And "show quality" can cost anywhere from a few thousand to 100,000 and up..... ;)

I think the $3K estimate for paint,decals, etc. is very doable......of course, I'm a painter so...... :icon_smile_big:

Dans 68

Quote from: jb666 on August 20, 2008, 07:38:06 PM
...I've done everything short of flying out there....

If you are going to spend serious money go look at the car in person, or hire (or ask nicely  :icon_smile_big: for help from a member in the car's area) someone as an intermediary. I cannot stress this enough. See it in person, and save yourself possible grief and wasted money. I speak from experience. Oh, and spend lots and lots of time here learning about Chargers. Your very smart Wife won't mind!  :2thumbs:

Dan

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

DodgeByDave

If I had the cash, I would show up, drive the car, listen to the BS get them all hyped up and right at the point of paying money tell them "nah, I changed my mind" and walk out.

:nana:
III, we are everywhere

jb666

Quote from: Dans 68 on August 21, 2008, 06:40:47 PM
Quote from: jb666 on August 20, 2008, 07:38:06 PM
...I've done everything short of flying out there....

If you are going to spend serious money go look at the car in person, or hire (or ask nicely  :icon_smile_big: for help from a member in the car's area) someone as an intermediary. I cannot stress this enough. See it in person, and save yourself possible grief and wasted money. I speak from experience. Oh, and spend lots and lots of time here learning about Chargers. Your very smart Wife won't mind!  :2thumbs:

Dan

I know what you're saying.. They put over 200 hours into my Vette prepping/painting it the right way.. It's what I'd want in a GL, too..

jb666

There's been some talk about this place, here, but nothing concrete (good or bad??)

What do you think of this?

http://www.centraltxautos.com/inv/piccollage.cfm?adid=296279

For some reason, the lettering on the doors looks to be too 'skinny'?? Am I wrong?

HKCharger

that guy is a mopar flipper fixer upper out of central texas i believe. kinda like lucasmopar.

jb666

Quote from: HKCharger on August 21, 2008, 07:56:47 PM
that guy is a mopar flipper fixer upper out of central texas i believe. kinda like lucasmopar.

So he's another one to stay away from??

Funny, but I picked up 3 magazines tonight (Auto Trader type magazines that specialize in custom cars) and ANY General that I see listed is either HLPAG or Texastoybox's cars.. It's kind of funny!!

HKCharger

that's him texastoybox. id stay away from him personally, heard neutral/negative stuff about him. if you were interested in it, id go over it with fine tooth comb.

jb666

Ok cool

Does anyone here have any experience with these guys?? They advertise 24/7/365 on EBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=200247154660

HKCharger

never dealt with him, but i havent seem or heard anything about him. maybe someone else here has.

a member here named sickdawg has a nice hemi charger GL for sale. :cheers:

jb666

Quote from: HKCharger on August 21, 2008, 08:01:44 PM
never dealt with him, but i havent seem or heard anything about him. maybe someone else here has.

a member here named sickdawg has a nice hemi charger GL for sale. :cheers:

I saw that.. I think he's looking to get $45k for it, or I'd be all over that!!  :o

hotrod98

What's the story on Lucasmopars?
They have my yellow 70 Challenger convertible hemi clone that I built for my wife a couple of years ago. $85K.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

skip68

I would NEVER EVER EVER want to spend 10k-15k on paint for a General LEE.  :rotz:  I built my GL to be enjoyed, driven, looked at, and yes even let the kids sit out the window on the door for pics.  If you plan on driving it don't be surprised if people touch or lean up against it to take a picture.  :yesnod:   :Twocents:   You don't need and I don't think that you would really want a trailer queen General Lee.   :nono:  People and kids will come up to it like flies on Pooh.  Trust me, I know.  :yesnod:    :cheers:  I would say find a good solid driver for $20k-$25k and then have it painted, graphics, wheels, push bar ect. and you should be under 35k and you will know what is under the paint.   :Twocents:   Chuck
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!