News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

holley carb idle problem

Started by 48chebbie, August 20, 2008, 09:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

48chebbie

hi folks. i have run into a snag. i just put a new 600 holley carb on the 318 in my 74 roadrunner and i have run into an issue that baffles me. the carb will not idle down to anything less than about 1000 rpm. the motor has an edelbrock sp2p 318 intake on it and i added this brand new out of the box 600 holley to it. the idle screw on the side is completely backed off,the timing is set at 10 degrees initial,and to get it to idle down,i have to have the mixture screws on the metering plate jacked so far in,that the car runs terrible. you can actually grab the throttle arm and physically pull it forward and it will idle down,but it takes more force than the return springs can provide. and i have double springs on it now. there are no vacuum leaks anywhere,and i have checked everything. throttle liinkage has plenty of slack and the detent slide is not binding. even took the carb off,took it back and got another new one. car runs great otherwise. any help would be appreciated.
how'd i do that!?!?!?

charger_fan_4ever

I experienced a hanging idle around 1,100 with a holley 750. Had to yank it to get it back down. I went to 2 heavy return springs and it cured it.

Do you have a pic of how the return springs are mounted? Some times the return spring needs to be mounted directly in front of an intake bolt to get more leverage.

firefighter3931

You have something binding up....check the carb base gasket and linkage/throttle shafts.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

48chebbie

i have 2 springs on the return. they are mounted to the stock spring bracket. they are stiff enuff that pressing the gas pedal for long periods of time is a chore. i have not tried the trick of loosening the blades screws, slapping the throttle shut and re tightening them but that is next on the list. car runs great otherwise, drove it to the NATS the other weekend,which was a 1000 mile round trip.
how'd i do that!?!?!?

48chebbie

got it fixed. loosened the blades,adjusted them slightly,which allowed the blades to close all the way. now have idle screw adjustment and now she idles smooth as a mothers love. thanks for the input.
how'd i do that!?!?!?

Rolling_Thunder

had this problem with a demon once...    same thing fixed it....      :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

firefighter3931

Quote from: 48chebbie on August 20, 2008, 10:06:28 PM
got it fixed. loosened the blades,adjusted them slightly,which allowed the blades to close all the way. now have idle screw adjustment and now she idles smooth as a mothers love. thanks for the input.

Nice work !  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs