News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hey you new Challenger owners!

Started by 1969chargerrtse, August 18, 2008, 09:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemigeno

Quote from: G-man on August 19, 2008, 09:41:17 PM
Wait for 5 years then ul see the prices of the new ones and old ones, then remember what I said here.

Don't forget what the value of our beloved musclecars were when THEY were 5 years old cars.  EPA/Insurance regulations effectively ended the musclecar era, and the gas crisis made sure it wouldn't come back anytime soon.

No political intonations meant here, but two of the same three major factors (you can guess which two I am thinking of) could play a role in eliminating any "modern musclecar" era.  Add 40 years of time, and the value of that SRT Challenger could easily approach Returns On Investment levels of the fairly common Challenger R/Ts of the heyday.

Personally, I'll still prefer the old stuff since I enjoy turning wrenches on stuff more than watching the stealership guys plug in a computer diagnostic machine.  My wife?  She'd trade either of my two cars for an SRT Challenger in a heartbeat.  To each his own.

:Twocents:

charger_fan_4ever

I will say though finally Chrysler is back in the game. While gm and ford were battling and selling 100's of thousands of camaro's and mustangs from mid 80's on up threw chrysler was perfecting the shadow and other 4 cyl tin :rotz:.

I wonder what the price tag is going to be on the new camaro? As it sits the challenger is a fair chunk more than a Gt mustang.

Only thing i don't like about the challenger is how thick the back end is from the top of the lid to the bottom of the bumper. Sitting beside the aar at the show it looked overweight compared to the early e bodies.

moparstuart

Quote from: hemigeno on August 20, 2008, 01:19:33 PM
Wait for 5 years then ul see the prices of the new ones and old ones, then remember what I said here.

Don't forget what the value of our beloved musclecars were when THEY were 5 years old cars.  EPA/Insurance regulations effectively ended the musclecar era, and the gas crisis made sure it wouldn't come back anytime soon.

No political intonations meant here, but two of the same three major factors (you can guess which two I am thinking of) could play a role in eliminating any "modern musclecar" era.  Add 40 years of time, and the value of that SRT Challenger could easily approach Returns On Investment levels of the fairly common Challenger R/Ts of the heyday.

Personally, I'll still prefer the old stuff since I enjoy turning wrenches on stuff more than watching the stealership guys plug in a computer diagnostic machine.  My wife?  She'd trade either of my two cars for an SRT Challenger in a heartbeat.  To each his own.

:Twocents:

I was thinking the same thing if these are a limited 4-5 year run like the first challengers they could be rare in 40 years . But dont bet on it just buy it because you like it and keep it if you fall in love .

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 68RT4ME on August 20, 2008, 01:07:15 PM
Those cars you mention were really nothing more than decal packaged cars with very low HP and overall performance. Decals alone won't ensure a collector every time. The New Challenger however is a performance car and can back it up. It's currently not all dolled up with decals and such but rest assured, it will have them before long in keeping with it's retro styling but, will also still be able to back up the talk.
Ba Da Bing!  I agree with all your points.  Here's one not mentioned though.  I've said it many times.  GM's volt is short of 2 years away, and behind the volt will be other plug in cars.  The future is going electric then Hydrogen SOON!  GM's big issue was battery life and strength.  Well I just read a great article how it has been resolved with an awesome new type of battery that will do the job.  Electric cars are coming and that Challenger will be known as a Muscle car for sure, one of the last.   There is no question at all the next gen cars coming by 2010 will be plug in electric, but Hydrogen is going to be powering not only your cars, but your homes.  Hydrogen is already powering some new high tech factories at a great savings, and doing it clean.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

moparstuart

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on August 20, 2008, 02:56:22 PM
Quote from: 68RT4ME on August 20, 2008, 01:07:15 PM
Those cars you mention were really nothing more than decal packaged cars with very low HP and overall performance. Decals alone won't ensure a collector every time. The New Challenger however is a performance car and can back it up. It's currently not all dolled up with decals and such but rest assured, it will have them before long in keeping with it's retro styling but, will also still be able to back up the talk.
Ba Da Bing!  I agree with all your points.  Here's one not mentioned though.  I've said it many times.  GM's volt is short of 2 years away, and behind the volt will be other plug in cars.  The future is going electric then Hydrogen SOON!  GM's big issue was battery life and strength.  Well I just read a great article how it has been resolved with an awesome new type of battery that will do the job.  Electric cars are coming and that Challenger will be known as a Muscle car for sure, one of the last.   There is no question at all the next gen cars coming by 2010 will be plug in electric, but Hydrogen is going to be powering not only your cars, but your homes.  Hydrogen is already powering some new high tech factories at a great savings, and doing it clean.
thats why i'm thinking 4-5 years max for this new challenger just like the first challenger ( Energy crisis )  chicken little the sky is falling   :smilielol:

Wango Mango

I drove my 70 Hemi Chally over 1300 miles along side a pre-production SRT8 Chally for the Vanishing Point Revisited article in the july iissue of MC Enthusiast & Mopar Enthusiast & was very impressed w/ the new Chally.  We had it up to 165 at 6,000, pushing a headwind & w/ the AC on.  We hit the brakes hard @ 155f & it settled down perfectly straight.  We also averaged 21.4 MPG over the trip from Denver to LA.  I still would rather have a 70 Hemi Chally or a T/A over the new one, but for comfort, speed, looks & new technology, the SRT8 is hard to beat.  Expecially for a 4200 lb car that can run 12.9 out of the box.

I had my 70 Hemi Chally on the showroom @ Reno Dodge to help auction 2 new SRT8's & they got over $60K for them. 

1969chargerrtse

:o   Oh WoW your 70 is gorgeous.  Stunning, but this whole thing started with, that the new Challenger wasn't a Muscle car?  It is for sure.  Nothing 40 years old can be the same as something new.  :eek2:  He meant well though. :icon_smile_big:  I agree that nothing will ever replace the love for the classics.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

68charger383

I like the new challenger. I was to young to buy one of the muscle cars new, so I consider this my chance.

I'm waiting for the price and the top to drop (vert) before I buy my car....a shaker hood option would be nice as well.
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Foreman72

those r 2 beautiful cars...and whatever tag gets put on the new one doesn;t matter...its just straight up gorgeous...ur 70 is insane 2... :drool5:

i greatly envy all of you who own a new chally...greatly

Quote from: 68charger383 on August 21, 2008, 12:29:36 AM
I like the new challenger. I was to young to buy one of the muscle cars new, so I consider this my chance.

I'm waiting for the price and the top to drop (vert) before I buy my car....a shaker hood option would be nice as well.

u mean a shaker on the new one? do they have that? did i read that wrong? :lol:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Wango Mango

Thanks for the compliment.  The new SRT8 Challenger was a petty bold move for Chrysler & inspite of carrying almost 4200 lbs, it preformance is stellar as it mimics its big block grandaddy.  I still prefer grandpa with all the history & music of his historical hemi.  I wish Chrysler had the bucks to give the new car its own, smaller chassis, but considering costs, the new SRT8 w/ its independent suspension & monster small block, is a chip off the old block & a great way to preserve some Mopar History.  It'll never replace its predecessor, but wasn't intended to.  IMHO, imitation is the best form of flattery.  C'mon Chrysler, give the '09 Chally a 6.4, 392 with a Shaker.  Then, it'll be a real muscle car.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Chris G. on August 20, 2008, 10:02:58 AM
New cars fast for 40 000+ stick 40 000 into an old one and ul see 8 second quarters.

Even Shiloh found your whole statement a little kooky.

Find me an 8 second car that you could drive from Jersey to California with the A/C blasting all the way there. Your comparison is non-existent.

Chris....i'm sure the new chally will run 8 seconds....in the 8th mile   :icon_smile_cool:

Looking forward to seeing the 09's....the R/T's are supposed to have smaller 17in wheels which (to me) appears visually more correct. Not a fan of big hoops on musclecars.  :P

Quote from: Wango Mango on August 22, 2008, 12:05:15 AM
Thanks for the compliment.  The new SRT8 Challenger was a petty bold move for Chrysler & inspite of carrying almost 4200 lbs, it preformance is stellar as it mimics its big block grandaddy.  I still prefer grandpa with all the history & music of his historical hemi.  I wish Chrysler had the bucks to give the new car its own, smaller chassis, but considering costs, the new SRT8 w/ its independent suspension & monster small block, is a chip off the old block & a great way to preserve some Mopar History.  It'll never replace its predecessor, but wasn't intended to.  IMHO, imitation is the best form of flattery. C'mon Chrysler, give the '09 Chally a 6.4, 392 with a Shaker. Then, it'll be a real muscle car.

Hey Buzz....that beast of yours is no lightweight either !  :nana: I remember lifting the front end as you were loading it up into the trailer to keep the Milidon oilpan from getting torn off.  :lol: You did put the hemi repro pan back on it didn't you ?  :scratchchin:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Wango Mango

Hey Ron, good to hear from you & yes, I did replace the Milodon w/ the factory pan.  Much better now!  Don't have to fear dips & speed bumps.  I sure remember you lifting the front of the beast to clear the headers from catching on the trailer door.  That required a lot of horsepower on your part!  The iron headed beast is all of 4200 lbs, but handles pretty well for its weight.   Can't wait to get the T/A stroked to 416 & finally completed.  I was informed that the T/A cars had their K frames moved back 2" & the driveline shortened 2" for better handling.  That means the small block T/A should be a blast to drive.    Hope your Charger is doing well & can't wait for a ride.   

1969chargerrtse

I Just saw my first Challenger in the wild.  I was heading South bound on RT 15 in Ct and a brand new silver Challenger was heading North bound.  Cool.  Now I can move on with my life, until the new camaro pops up anyway. :laugh:

Mopar2Ya

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

moparstuart

Mopar2Ya

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

Brock Samson

looks like the hurst version has some kind of old look hurst wheels, remember them?.. they were chrome and gold, you very seldom see them today... GTOs had them in '67 in very limited numbers.
you'd think they'd be more popular..  :shruggy:

http://webpages.charter.net/jnovelli/hursthistory.htm

Foreman72

Quote from: Mopar2Ya on August 27, 2008, 03:51:11 PM
Hurst Chally. http://chryslercorporationllc.blogspot.com/2008/08/2009-hursthemi-dodge-challenger-srt8.html

:drool5:super looking car...i love that black/gold look...hey just think...maybe my kids will be restoring one some day :lol: ...
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

68charger383

Looking at E-bay tonight. Looks like the hype might already be coming to an end before the main wave of 2009s hit the dealer showrooms.

I see plenty of R/Ts with a buy-it-now for MSRP and 2008 SRT-8s with buy-it-nows of $44,000 (better than the $59K they were at a month ago + it means there not selling for the premium). If they are selling them for MSRP while still in short supply, when they start having 5-10 on the lot...I'm sure they will be dealing.

Looks like in a few months we can get them for a $500-$1,000 over invoice...once we rob a bank to get the $$ to pay that amount  :2thumbs:
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

41husk

I drove one of the 09s, and will tell you I had the exact same feeling as driving my 68 or 73, not sure about the 70 I have not driven that one in over 10 years but I'm shooting for this weekend.  I think I got just as many looks.  I drove the 5.7 hemi and it had plenty of power.  As for getting the looks, I think I was snapping just as many heads as I do with the older cars.  That will no doubt change as the streets become more inendated with them.  I believe they get at least as strong a reaction as the older models did on their debut.  As for price the dealer here in southern Illinois said they will deal on the 09 models.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

keepat

Quote from: 41husk on September 15, 2008, 10:11:57 AM
I drove one of the 09s, and will tell you I had the exact same feeling as driving my 68 or 73, not sure about the 70 I have not driven that one in over 10 years but I'm shooting for this weekend.  I think I got just as many looks.  I drove the 5.7 hemi and it had plenty of power.  As for getting the looks, I think I was snapping just as many heads as I do with the older cars.  That will no doubt change as the streets become more inendated with them.  I believe they get at least as strong a reaction as the older models did on their debut.  As for price the dealer here in southern Illinois said they will deal on the 09 models.

:iagree:

41husk

Price?  I stopped by a local dealer in Collinsville Illinois, about 10 Miles from Edwardsville, were I drove the 09 and was told by the dealer they would deal with the 09s.  Anyway the dealership in Collinsville had a white and blue.  I love the blue.  They were both 6cylinder cars $21,900 on the white and $23,500 on the blue, both auto, cloth interior.  The blue one had a sun roof and I think 21" wheels that looked kinda like old school Keystones.  The white one had no sun roof and 17" wheels.  I prefer the look of the 17" wheels.  It filled the wheel wells but didn't look like a hooptie.  This dealer said they can't keep the R/T in stock and all Hemi drive trains are R/T, so they are selling them at sticker and if I was interested he would take my name and #.  He already had a list of people ready to purchase R/Ts and as soon as one came in he would call us all and the first one up there could get it at sticker :shruggy:  I thought about just walking away, but I just couldn't.  I told him "Oh thats interesting, I drove the R/T with 5.7 Hemi at Cassens and that dealer had to hemi challengers on the lott.  He also said they would deal on them and if I did not like the color and was in no hurry he could order one the way I want and give me a call when it's delivered.  Why on earth would I wait on a call list to buy what ever stock you get sent at sticker price?  Some of these sales men :slap:  I wonder if he really sells many cars with those scare tactics :shruggy:  I wouldn't buy a car from that guy now if he saved me $1,000 :Twocents:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

FastbackJon

I was out and about in the red 440 Charger today and happened to see a brand new 2009 SRT8 Challenger going up the road in front of me the direction I was going to go. So I got in behind him and followed a while. He turned at a light onto a highway where the speed limit is 50mph and promptly got on it, as I figured he would. My 42 year old 440 Charger kept right up no problem, didn't let him get out ahead at all. He turned off at a baseball park and I went on my way.
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

KS71owner

There are at least three of these in the Wichita area that I know of, I was saw two of them at a car show in July (both had just been delivered) and one a couple of weeks later. One black, one orange and one silver. Fantastic looking (and sounding) cars....now I just need to befriend one of these people so I can drive one.... :icon_smile_big: