News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

All gauges pegged over - except alternator gauge

Started by Daytona Guy, August 18, 2008, 02:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona Guy

All gauges pegged over - except alternator gauge

72 Charger gauges: The gas, oil and temp light all peg over +. Can't find any short. Why???

Tried isolated the problem by disconnecting each gauge's sending unit wire - one at a time - with no drop in any other gauge but the one disconnected – all others still pegged over.

I made sure the dash was grounded.  Each wire cleaned at bulkhead. What is left???

Plumcrazy

You probably need a new voltage limiter for the gauges.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

y3chargerrt

Don't run it until you replace the limiter. You can burn out the gauges.

resq302

Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Daytona Guy

Quote from: resq302 on August 18, 2008, 10:47:38 AM
Quote from: Plumcrazy on August 18, 2008, 05:48:45 AM
You probably need a new voltage limiter for the gauges.

:iagree:
What part # would NAPA need to look this up - Our store is clueless

FLG

Daytona Guy

FLG

I believe since theres a different instrument panel the regulators for the gauges are also different.

Check this place,

http://www.gcartrim.com/Instrument%20Clusters.htm#voltage%20regulators

Rockauto.com only sells the ones w/o rallye package.

Maybe someone else can chime in with a definite answer, but it seems there different.

John_Kunkel

Real Time Engineering just introduced solid state IVR's but they're a little pricey at $50.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Daytona Guy

This is what it looks like and nothing I can find looks like it. I am thinking the electronics are the same but the mounting is different. I may mount it in an easily accessible place and run wires to the proper connections.

Daytona Guy

I did find one - thanks Mike for the wedsite and your help.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Supposedly Redline gauges also makes the solid state limiter for $35

Their ad is in the latest MCG but it doesn't appear to be on their website as of yet....

http://www.redlinegaugeworks.com/default.asp
Chris' '69 Charger R/T