News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why don't people like BFG's?

Started by grdprx, August 17, 2008, 12:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grdprx

Just curious,  I've checked out a few threads about tire sizes and wheel widths.  Alot of people say they don't care for the BF Goodrich tires.  Why is that?

Thanks.

Ghoste

I run them for the look.  They have a nice squared off aggresive "musclecar tire" look for the street, but I find they have poor traction for running at the strip.

Rolling_Thunder

no traction in dry or wet conditions    :Twocents:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

caddman

no traction is just what i wanted when i bought mine.  oh yeah, i only have a 318 2 bbl. LMAO!

Ghoste

That'd be fine if you only want them to squeal, but wait until that wet pavement panic stop comes up.  ;)

craigandlynda

i ran BFG T/A's on 74 charger...good for high speed quiet. but slippery as a snakes belly on rainy days...

grdprx

Well, that doesn't sound too good.  Living in the Seattle area, I could get caught out in the rain on occasion.  What's a better tire?  I think there only a couple that make them, Bridgestone and Good year, right?

But BFG's are the cheapest, eh?

Musicman

Most folks (myself included) by the BFG's for their looks and the reasonable price. People may say that they don't like them for this reason or that, but the bottom line is they still own them. They have proven to be one of the most popular Muscle Car tires out their. Why??? Because they look good on a car, and the price is right. Given an unlimited budget, I think most people would probably turn to something different. Maybe a nice set of Mickey's or Hoosiers, etc... But hey, not everyone can afford a set of Mickey's.
Bottom line... The BFG is a great looking tire that has been priced within the grasp of average Joe. Yes, it is true that it may not be the best performance tire on the market, but their certainly not the worst either. Guys have been riding on them for a long time...  :Twocents:

:cheers:

Ghoste

Isn't it ironic that a tire which may not be the best handling out there is named after a road racing series?  ;)

mikesbbody

I had a 275/60/15 bfg explode on me! it wasnt a old tire iether. That's enough for me to not want them again also. i have heard people say that bfg's are known to be not all that "round" dont know if this is true or not.

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Musicman

Quote from: Ghoste on August 19, 2008, 07:08:23 PM
Isn't it ironic that a tire which may not be the best handling out there is named after a road racing series?  ;)

Yea... that is kinda funny, but then again... the BFG's are no better or worse than most of the alternatives in the same price class. So who cares, it's just a name. Personally, I don't have a beef with my BFG's, they stick just fine... better than many that I have owned in the past. Of course when you have 10" of tread on the front and 13" on the rear, it's pretty hard to break traction on a dry corner without launching the entire car first :lol: :lol: :lol:
Besides, why would I care if it's the absolute best handling tire or not, I'm not racing the 500. I'm just cruising... going here and there enjoying myself. I might squirrel down the back roads once in a while just for fun, or blow the occasionally obnoxious rice burner off the road when provoked, but that's about it. I'm just having a good time... the BFG's and the 15" Cragar 390's just make the car look good while I'm doing it.

grdprx

QuoteI'm just cruising... going here and there enjoying myself. I might squirrel down the back roads once in a while just for fun, or blow the occasionally obnoxious rice burner off the road when provoked, but that's about it. I'm just having a good time...

That's what I'm planning on!   :cheers:

Thanks for the opinions all.  I think they look good on the cars I've seen.  Doing a little research before I decide.

mikesbbody

What about coopers?  :shruggy: never had them myself but havent heard anything negative about them.

Musicman

Quote from: mikesbbody on August 19, 2008, 11:56:22 PM
What about coopers?  :shruggy: never had them myself but haven't heard anything negative about them.

Like the BFG's... another poor man's classic. There are quite a few of the old names out there that are OK, their just not being rammed down your throat on a daily basis by the rags or the media.

bull

I would run them if I could because I really like they way they look, esp the lettering style. I think they are the best looking RWL performance tire out there. However, I have gotten so tired of their BS regarding the 295/50/15 backorder that I refuse to do business with them (like they care). Plus, by most accounts the tire is substandard in most categories other than looks. IMO it's like dating Angelina Jolie except she is repulsed by physical contact, she smells bad, she whines and spends all your money, she has an acute drug and anger problem and she annoys everyone she meets.

Musicman

Quote from: bull on August 20, 2008, 11:12:18 AM
IMO it's like dating Angelina Jolie except she is repulsed by physical contact, she smells bad, she whines and spends all your money, she has an acute drug and anger problem and she annoys everyone she meets.

I'm sorry, I thought that was her  :smilielol:

bull

Quote from: Musicman on August 20, 2008, 11:27:25 AM
Quote from: bull on August 20, 2008, 11:12:18 AM
IMO it's like dating Angelina Jolie except she is repulsed by physical contact, she smells bad, she whines and spends all your money, she has an acute drug and anger problem and she annoys everyone she meets.

I'm sorry, I thought that was her  :smilielol:

Probably is. I heard Brad Pitt is the one who smells bad though. :shruggy:

RallyeMike

The problem is that larger-sized 15" tires is getting so limited that you don't have much choice anymore. If you want tall, wide tires that are all-around performance tires you need to step up to 16" or bigger rims.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

71 Bee Man

Hey guys,

well, as I mentioned in another thread I've been thinking of getting some BFG T/A's here in Australia.

Trouble is they cost $260 EACH.

That's just tyres out here mind you......that size that I'm after - 275/60/15 - is a little hard to come by. I can get a cheaper brand called "Mastercraft". Have a look at the link and let me know what you think :
http://www.antiquetyres.com.au/bfgoodrich_ta.html

The Mastercraft tyres are $220 Each.

Peter
Sydney, Australia.
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

Mike DC

A fresh set of cheap tires will grip a lot better in the rain than worn-down better ones. 

Foreman72

:eek: wow man...thats how much i have to drop for the RIMS!! that crazy man...

i don't know kno if this will get shot down...but i'm thinking about these

http://www.goodyeartires.com/eagle/eagle1NASCAR_features.html

i like the look alot...i saw em on a 72 w/ cragars and it looked sweet...but i dont think i'll need "performance" at all...i'm only running 17s at the most...plus i won't be crazy racing...like was said...the occasional showwing of whos boss...
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

71 Bee Man

Quote from: Foreman72 on August 21, 2008, 07:48:51 AM
:eek: wow man...thats how much i have to drop for the RIMS!! that crazy man...

i don't know kno if this will get shot down...but i'm thinking about these

http://www.goodyeartires.com/eagle/eagle1NASCAR_features.html

i like the look alot...i saw em on a 72 w/ cragars and it looked sweet...but i dont think i'll need "performance" at all...i'm only running 17s at the most...plus i won't be crazy racing...like was said...the occasional showwing of whos boss...

Goodyear Eagles are pretty hard to come by down here as well. The cost for tyres is pretty dear here. I couldn't get any cheaper than that for the BFG's and thought the $220 per tyre for the Mastercraft ones was a good price. I can't even import them from the states at a cheaper cost due to postage and customs duty.

Peter
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

terrible one

It's definitely a shame about the bigger 15" sizes. I couldn't find a radial tire at all for my 14x10's, and I sure as hell hope that the 15" tire sizes don't follow suit. My 255 BFG's were only $82 each though.  :2thumbs:

Foreman72

so does it look like i'm gonna have to go the fancy tread "performance tire" route if i get 15x10's in the back?
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat