News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What oil and transmission fluid do you use?

Started by Fast_68_440, August 16, 2008, 10:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fast_68_440

I have been searching through old threads on this site to see if I can find a list of oil and transmission fluid everybody uses.  I thought it would be interesting to compare the fluids everybody uses.  I haven't decided what oil to use in my motor yet and I'm sure there are plenty of other people who are looking too.  Please post up the year and size of your engine along with the type and weight of the oil you are using.  If you are using a zinc additive please also determine which one you are using.  Also post up the year and type of transmission you have and if it has any performance modifications and the type of transmission fluid are using.  This should be an interesting list. :2thumbs:

aifilaw

I won't discuss tranny fluid... but for motor oil I have two choices
If its non-synthetic, then I use rotella, 15W30
If its synthetic, I use mobil 1 5W30
There's been too many posts, including by me, about why I feel those are superior oils to use. If I cared about my flat tappet lifters and wasn't planning on switching to roller lifters then I would use zinc additive, even though rotella is pretty decent already.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

NMike

Ghoste

Valvoline Dexron and Valvoline 10W30 with Comp Cams additive thrown in.

RD

royal purple 10w40 for engine

dexron-mercon III for trans.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

tan top

dextron 2   for the 727

&  castrol gtx  with  comp cams additive
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Sweet T

Put Royal Purple 75W90 in the 833 and it seems really good.  The tranny seems to like it.  I'll probably throw some in Dana soon too.
No, it ain't a Hemi.....thank God!

elacruze

I just finished a ~4000 mile tour, including the Hot Rod Power Tour. I used Royal Purple Max-Gear 90w140 in my a833 4-speed.
The trans was smooth and quiet the entire time, and shifting was very smooth, however even after many miles I can tell that the synchronizers don't grip well enough for fast shifts and I'll be changing the RP GL-5 oil for something else GL-4 rated.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

gtx6970

ATF3 in all automatics without lockup convertors ( ATF4 in those with lockup)
Quaker state 10W30 in engines during breakin - then Quaker state 15w40 oil in everything else

Contrary to the popular  TV ads I wouldn't put Valvoline in my lawnmower

matrout76

I use either Redline MTL or Royal Purple Synchromax in all of my manual transmissions.  Both are great MT specific oils and really improve synchronizer action and reduce noise and heat build-up. 

i've also "fixed" quite a few MT's that would grind when shifting.  Essentially, the friction modifiers wear out and new lubes fix the problem. 

just recently, a guy at work bought a used Jeep liberty with a 5speed because it "needed" a rebuilt transmission...at least this is what the PO was told by 2 different shops.  I told him about RP Synchromax, he changed the fluid, and has since put 10k miles on it with no problems.  He is currently in Reno (we live in Indy) on a 3 week trip around the country and its doing great.

the RP is about $14 a quart and available at Napa.  I used to be able to get the Redline cheaper, but by the time you add shipping, its a little more.

I've started using Rotella 15W40 in my lawn and garden equipment and can tell a difference. I'll probably use it in my 1997 Ram 3500 CTD the next time i change the oil.

Budnicks

Quote from: elacruze on July 24, 2011, 08:33:45 AM
I just finished a ~4000 mile tour, including the Hot Rod Power Tour. I used Royal Purple Max-Gear 90w140 in my a833 4-speed.
The trans was smooth and quiet the entire time, and shifting was very smooth, however even after many miles I can tell that the synchronizers don't grip well enough for fast shifts and I'll be changing the RP GL-5 oil for something else GL-4 rated.
I would agree the Royal Purple synthetics are all great, Torco Racing Oils are a great choice also... :2thumbs:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Paul G

I have been using Valvoline 20w50 VR1 racing oil in my 360. It supposedly has enough ZDDP to protect the flat tappet cam. But the more you read about it, the less you understand. Probably going to order a case of ZDDP additive off Ebay and go back to a conventional oil and add ZDDP to it.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Charger RT

I use the 15w40 bulk oil we get for our trucks at work in my 440 and the 727 has had type F in it for the last 11 years.
Tim

tufamc

Everything I own that goes vroooooooom....gets Shell rotella 15w-40 or 5w-40syn....summer/winter, tranny's get Mobil 1 atf.....no manuals in my garage
69' Charger 383 4bbl, TF727.....for now......

resq302

Ive been using the Valvoline VR1 racing oil 20w-50 in the past and this year used the Valvoline VR1 Synthetic Racing oil 20w-50 and had good results.  I have a 4 spd in my charger so I just use the 80w-90 weight gear oil.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto