News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Had my '69 Charger re-appraised UPDATE....

Started by Afflyer, October 21, 2005, 09:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Afflyer

Well folks,

I drove an hour east of our house here in Florida to a guy who appraises MoPars for a living.   He was really really impressed with the "Mistress".   He took some pics and jotted down all the important numbers from the car, looked her over real good.   Advised me on this and that, and said it would take a few days to come up with the proper appraisal.   He said he has to go online and visit a few sites, review some online auctions and look through a few books.  

I asked him for a ballpark number just off his head before I left, and he stated at least $21K.   That's a substantial improvement from just two years ago.  

He said having a 440, even if it's not the original engine, is a very good thing, as they are in high demand.   He also pretty much convinced me that I should go the extra mile and turn the "Mistress" into an R/T clone considering she's already sporting the coveted 440.   All I'd have to do is get the proper Charger R/T emblems and an R/T stripe for the back and it's a clone for all intents and purposes.   He said it would add a few thousand dollars more to the value if it were an R/T clone.   I say...why not?!

I've not seen anyone here on the site post what the value of their prized Chargers are, so I'm a bit leary of saying what the true value of my "Mistress" is when it comes in.   Hope ya'll understand.   Jeez- this Indiana farmboy has been living FAR too long in the deep south now, as I say "ya'll" to ya'll!

UPDATE: 29 OCT

Spoke with the appraiser this afternoon and he told me over the phone that the car appraised at $20,700.
       That's $3K more than what it was two years ago when I first brought her home.
       I was a little bit disseapointed, as I thought that it would be around $22K or $23K.   I guess all the hype about the increase in value of '69 Chargers thanks to the Dukes release earlier this year, was simply just that; hype.

Oh well, it'll keep climbing every year- at least I can look at it that way.   Just maybe not as much as I had hoped.

Bradley   :icon_smile_approve:
Retired USAF C-130H3, C-130E, MC-130E, MC-130W Flight Engineer

1969 Charger 440/4bbl "Hemi Orange Mistress"
2009 Hemi Ram 1500 Sport Special Crew Cab "Black Betty"
2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

PocketThunder

I hear ya on the "yawl" saying from the south.  I'm just some butt white guy in Minnesota and i was in Memphis for a week and i came back saying "yawl"!!! 

Good news on your Charger.  I am building a 68 318 auto Charger into a 440 auto.  And everyone tells me to add the stripe and badges for that exact same reason of it adding value to the car.  So i'm gonna do it. 
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

RECHRGD

440's, stripes and badges are good things regardless of your vin #.    Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

dodgecharger-fan

Really? That's about all I'd need to add to my plans as well.

If I went leather interior, I might pull off an R/T SE clone....

My base model is highly optioned - for a base model that is. At least I think it is:

A/C and tinted windows
AM/FM Radio
Buckets and console
Woodgrain inserts
Woodgrain Steering wheel
Day/Night rearview mirror (Is that much of an option or more standard?)
6-way adjustable driver's seat
Power windows
Power Front Disc Brakes
Power Steering

I've been able to confirm everything but the inserts so far.

Is this a weird car?

What else besides badges would designate an SE?

CB

some badges, a 440 and tailstripe adds e few 1000 in value  :o
Crazy...
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

cudaken

I have some Hemi Badges, wonder if that would help :angel:

Cuda Ken
I am back

Charger_Fan

Quote from: cudaken on October 22, 2005, 12:00:30 PM
I have some Hemi Badges, wonder if that would help :angel:
I think some HEMI badges would make it run better...well, that & a chrome thermostat housing. :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

69_500

We had the 69 Charger 500 appraised when we first bought the car and it was appraised at $35,000 at the time. That was a year and a half ago. This year we had it appraised again and it was appraised at $91,000 so we adjusted the coverage amount on our insurance policy. Funny thing is that the price of insurance didn't really change that much. I think it went from $148 every six months to $160 every six months.

Afflyer

:eek: Are you KIDDING me?!   Your '69 500 appraised at $91,000?!   :eek:

Wholly Balls!!   I'll be damn lucky if the "Mistress" appraises at $23,000!

:o

2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

Khyron

all this talk makes me wonder if I should get mine redone.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

694spdRT

I insured mine for $40,000 without an appraisal and Hagerty did not even question it. It is just a standard R/T. 
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Shakey

I have an F6 '69 R/T SE 440 that I purchased earlier this year.  It was an uncomplete project - body & paint had been completed and the drivetrain had been rebuilt.  It is not a #'s macthing car.

It was appraised in April at $28,000.00 CDN as it sat - no interior, no bumpers or grille etc.  That is approximately $24,000.00 USD.

The fellow that did my appraisal told me that when I am finished with the project, he will come back and most likely appraise it at $38,000.00 CDN, which would be $32,000.00 USD.

The only purpose for the appraisal as far as I am concerned is for insurance.  It is not for sale.

89MOPAR

How about proper R/T shocks , torsion bars, leaf springs, woodgrain dash applique, etc   to complete the clone.

To me I'd rather have original ,even a 318 car. I'd pay LESS for a clone. But I'm picky like that.

Think of how many fake SS chevy's there are - alot !   :icon_smile_dead: :puke:
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

andy74

the insurance appraiser quoted me 15 large for the 72,non numbers 440,auto or rear end,2004 srt electric blue paint,and centerlines. i did have to show him the pics of restoration/retsification,and i kept every reciept of everything ive ever done to her.i agree hes high on the figure,but then i thought about it,insurance is for REPLACEMENT value,and where are you going to replace some of these cars? mine may not be the absolute best numbers match car,but i could spend the 15 replacing it if something ever happened,just my 2 cents-Andy   

Highbanked Hauler

WOW 91K, my 500 was appraised at Carlisle and it only turned 41K and the appraiser told me that the stock car nose might drop the price about 10K at the most. :-[ :'(
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Afflyer

2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

Brock Samson

A couple rather knowlagable members here told me that my R/T S.E. is worth approx. $25-30 K. So I'm gonna move pronto to have it reappraised for insurance purposes from it's current $17K I had it valued at in '99.

69_500

Who did you have appraise your car at Carlisle? I looked over your car rather well there at Carlisle and I'd say that if you put it up for sale on the open market it would fetch more than $41K.
I had a local represenative for the insurance company come out and do the appraisal for the 500. All the insurance company required to raise the amount was photographs of the interior, exterior, and and appraisal.
Now if you ask me, I'd say that my car would only bring about $55K if I was to put it up for sale. I think part of the figure he shot out for my car was due to the asking prices of other 500's that were for sale at the same time.

I still love the B5 blue of your 500 though Highbank. That is my wifes favorite color on a 500. she says we need to trade the R4 500 for a blue one. She hates red.

mbandit

Bradley,

How's it going?  Mel from Houston here, the Charger is just about finished, had to go with a bigger cam and a lot of other issues,. be back on the road this weekend.  So what's the appraisers guess for a 69 440 R/T clone? (thats what mine is).

mbandit

I asked Haggerty for $25k covereage, they came back and covered it for $35k.  I guess that's the max in the bracket.  If I get most of that back when its ripped off/wreaked I won't be crying too much.

HeavyFuel

Maybe it's just me, but all this talk about "I just throwin' on the badges and the stripe & YEEHAW....I got me an R/T!", has got me kinda irritated.

I mean, damn, pretty soon a guy won't be able to tell if a nice car on the road is genuine or not.

"Hey, man....did you see that Charger just go by?   I think it was an R/T, too.  Those things are rare!"

Yeah, they are. but the badges and stickers aren't.

And if I have to read "Mistress" in quotes one more time, I'm gonna  :puke:

Sorry, I'm done now........

Afflyer

Quote from: HeavyFuel on October 29, 2005, 12:06:48 AM
Maybe it's just me, but all this talk about "I just throwin' on the badges and the stripe & YEEHAW....I got me an R/T!", has got me kinda irritated.

I mean, damn, pretty soon a guy won't be able to tell if a nice car on the road is genuine or not.

"Hey, man....did you see that Charger just go by?     I think it was an R/T, too.   Those things are rare!"

Yeah, they are. but the badges and stickers aren't.

And if I have to read "Mistress" in quotes one more time, I'm gonna   :puke:

Sorry, I'm done now........

:icon_bs:

Heavy- do you get a little cranky over the guys who make Daytona clones as well?   Or are you just spoutin' off because you've got an R/T and hate to have to say "mines a REAL R/T" to those who otherwise wouldn't know a real from a clone?! Gimme a friggin break.  There's nothin wrong with trying to improve on something already good and make it even better and worth more in the process.

Oh- and keep a pukebag handy if you read my posts.   I ain't sorry for what I love to call my pride and joy.

:icon_smile_approve:

2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

Afflyer

Quote from: mbandit on October 28, 2005, 10:27:26 AM
Bradley,

How's it going?   Mel from Houston here, the Charger is just about finished, had to go with a bigger cam and a lot of other issues,. be back on the road this weekend.   So what's the appraisers guess for a 69 440 R/T clone? (thats what mine is).

Mel!  Hey Pal, good to see you made it here on the site- welcome!  My appaiser told me that a 69 440 R/T clone could bring in at least 25K to 30K just for starters- depending on the overall condition and detailed finer points of the car.

Bradley

2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

Brock Samson

called my Insurance Co. (Zurich, whom I highly recommed) and they upped my Charger to $30k no questions asked, gal said to get it insured for more I'd have to have a certified appraser submit an apprasial...
  Sure glad I did it, now I'm wondering if it would appraise for more..

I would think it wise and worth the trouble for all owners to have their Chargers and what ever else ya' got that appreciated reappraised!  ;)

what's your Bump?..  ;D