News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

NOS 500 grill assembly on ebay

Started by richRTSE, August 11, 2008, 09:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richRTSE

There is an NOS 500 grill and headlight assembly on ebay if anyone need one. I was just wonder what are the 2 long rectangular pieces at the bottom of the picture. I thought I had everything I needed, but I don't have those pieces... :shruggy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110277479756&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:MOTORS:1123

PocketThunder

The two long rectangular pieces go vertically just to the inside of the headlights.

PT
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

richRTSE

PT, thanks for the picture. I guess I'll need to fab up a pair of those if my project ever gets that far...

hemi68charger

Wow... That's something else........  You just never know what's out there still..........   :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

69_500

I wonder if it has the correct rubber pieces that go on the extension panels?

xs29j8Bullitt

Has anyone contacted the seller?  Are all pictured pieces NOS, or just the Grille?  Is the Grille a C500/CoronetR/T part or repainted (weren't the regular Coronet grilles a different color... not sure)?  The box does not appear to be the original factory box for the Grille Assy.  Boxes/packages for the other parts?  The headlight bezels look a bit faded... might just be the lighting...

I am not exactly sure what I am looking at in the one small picture, and the vague wording does not help... Anyone know FOR SURE?  :popcrn:

Picture below from the eBay auction & the other of my NOS Grille and box...

XS
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

moparstuart

Quote from: xs29j8Bullitt on August 12, 2008, 04:54:37 PM
Has anyone contacted the seller?  Are all pictured pieces NOS, or just the Grille?  Is the Grille a C500/CoronetR/T part or repainted (weren't the regular Coronet grilles a different color... not sure)?  The box does not appear to be the original factory box for the Grille Assy.  Boxes/packages for the other parts?  The headlight bezels look a bit faded... might just be the lighting...

I am not exactly sure what I am looking at in the one small picture, and the vague wording does not help... Anyone know FOR SURE?  :popcrn:

Picture below from the eBay auction & the other of my NOS Grille and box...

XS
figured you might like this allen
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: moparstuart on August 12, 2008, 05:01:47 PM
figured you might like this allen

If the parts are ALL NOS, I might be interested at the starting bid price... but the picture and auction wording leaves me with a lot of doubt...

I have gotten burned several times before, only to be told it was my fault for "assuming" something that was not clearly stated.

As an example, I was scammed by an eBay seller with a booklet that was advertised as being in great condition with "no folds, no tears, no marks... etc of any kind"... only to find out that I had "assumed" that 25% of the inside pages were not cut up to remove logos, text, etc.  It was plainly my fault for making that assumption according to the seller, and the enablers at eBay would not do a thing about the misrepresentation.  :flame:

Allen
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

WINGMAN

Hey Danny  or anyone   why was the rubber pieces put on the tip of the grill fillers? My 500 has both, they look unique not just bulk rubber. Maybe creative just sent someone down to the hardware store ;D  Jay.
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

XXHEMI

Great lakes was trying to get 4,000.00 for this set up two years age at Carlisle. And they only wanted 20k for the NOS Daytona nose cone? 

But that was two years ago! :scratchchin:

moparstuart

Quote from: XXHEMI on August 12, 2008, 08:43:29 PM
Great lakes was trying to get 4,000.00 for this set up two years age at Carlisle. And they only wanted 20k for the NOS Daytona nose cone? 

But that was two years ago! :scratchchin:
do you remember was it all super nice in person ?
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

XXHEMI

They did not have it at the show. Greg from Great Lakes asked me what I was restoring and after telling him about my cars he told me what he had. I think they would give you a fair discripsion if you called.

69_500

Quote from: WINGMAN on August 12, 2008, 08:17:14 PM
  Hey Danny  or anyone   why was the rubber pieces put on the tip of the grill fillers? My 500 has both, they look unique not just bulk rubber. Maybe creative just sent someone down to the hardware store ;D  Jay.

I'm not sure why the rubber pieces were put on the tip of the fillers, but I do know that the reproductions aren't anywhere near to what the original's looked like. The originals have a rib on them that runs the length of the rubber, where as the repro's are a solid domed shaped piece without any ridges.

richRTSE

Quote from: WINGMAN on August 12, 2008, 08:17:14 PM

I figured they put them there either to keep the fillers from scratchingthe fenders or to try to better seal against the wind. I haven't seen an original in a while, but from what I remember I thought it kinda looked like the ribbed windshield-washer hose. Here's a picture of the one I got from Dayclona with the smooth rubber...

Aero426

Most likely that would be an aero piece to seal off the area.   Ford did the same thing on the T's and II's.   They modified a hood to cowl weatherstrip to do it.

Highbanked Hauler

Changes could have been made with the rubber edges as time went on but I am sure mine were split windshield washer hose as it has the ribs on it and they were put on with a healthy glob of yellow weather strip adheasive and promptly fell off in the first year.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

69_500

Here is a picture of an original rubber.

WINGMAN

I bet that rubber was used for street cars only  as at 190 MPH it just flu off. Any one have a pic of a race 500 grill shot up close ? Are there any original 500 real race cars left? What was the top speed that a race 500 ever went? win was a 69 500 last raced in a NASCAR race and by what driver?   :shruggy:  Jay.
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

hemigeno

It's really hard to say when the last C500 hit the track in a Grand National Race.  For that matter, it's hard to say which races were run with a Daytona (for certain).  The records back then only list which model year and make a car was, it does not mention the specific model used.  So, when it mentions "1969 Dodge", that could mean Charger, Charger 500 or Charger Daytona.  Some of the lower series guys were also using Coronet bodies too.

With a 3 year sunset provision for body styles, the C500 could have been used up through the 1971 season.  Bill France Sr.'s edict requiring the purpose-built Aerocars to use a 305cid engine eliminated any advantage for a 500 bodystyle to be used, so it would have been 1970 at the latest.

Maybe Harry Lee Hyde Jr. or Dave Marcis will remember about the C500 grilles and we can ask them in September.