News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone have a nice aftermarket steering wheel that they can post?

Started by Mfr426, August 09, 2008, 07:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfr426

Hello all, over the last few years of driving my 69 SE the desire to put on an aftermarket (smaller and thicker) steering wheel has become more apparent. I have the woodgrain one that I had restored and it looks great but frankly, it's too big and too thin.

I'd like to see if anyone has any pics of nice aftermarket steering wheels that they think works well with their car. Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike R in Reading PA
69 Charger RT/SE Clone 505 Wedge

Mike DC

Grant makes a good 3-spoke wooden one that looks kind of non-specifically muscle-era.  It's sold with various logos and stuff but it's usually the same basic rim item.

Mfr426

Mike, I saw that wheel and it looks very nice for the price. I'd like to see if on a Charger if anyone has it installed?

Thanks

Mike R in Reading PA

mikepmcs

I'll take a picture today of my grant/fx installed on my 69.  It's the one correct for the 05 DOH movie.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Ryan

69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

Mfr426

Foreman72

this is the wheel i want...

the tuft steering wheel that came on the ralley models...its not really aftermarket but it love it...grant has one that looks like it so i may do that instead of dropping 250 bucks  :eek2: for the repro

this is what it looks like in the car...well not my car...but a charger anyway

Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Finn

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Foreman72 on August 11, 2008, 09:06:47 AM
this is the wheel i want...

the tuft steering wheel that came on the ralley models...its not really aftermarket but it love it...grant has one that looks like it so i may do that instead of dropping 250 bucks  :eek2: for the repro

this is what it looks like in the car...well not my car...but a charger anyway

forgett the old $250 price... they are now on 170-180 rate on ebay :D... I'm thinking NOW on change my old recovered one, but need to get back some funds more after my USA trip.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mopar-GTX-RR-Charger-Cuda-Duster-Tuff-steering-wheel_W0QQitemZ260253118853QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE-AND-PLYMOUTH-TUFF-3-SPOKE-STEERING-WHEEL_W0QQitemZ230270600642QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mopar-Dodge-Plymouth-Tuff-3-spoke-steering-wheel_W0QQitemZ360031339719QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Mfr426

Thanks All. Has anyone purchased the Grant wood gain unit for classic cars?

Foreman72

Eric "Foreman"

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.

Corellian Corvette

I've used this wheel in my charger and my dad's 442. I really like these wheels, I like the way the feel and they look period correct for the price. Plus going grant gives you lots of options for horn buttons (I just stuck with plain chrome)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/68-69-Charger-Dart-Coronet-Grant-Wood-Steering-Wheel_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33704QQihZ006QQitemZ160269284719QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

mikepmcs

Quote from: Foreman72 on August 11, 2008, 08:13:23 PM
mikepmcs,
do u mean to tell me that tic-toc-tac isn't in use? can i have it  :lol:

Sorry brother, that is just a tic toc clock, no tach.

v/r
Mike

Foreman72

really? i'd swear it was one...sure looks like one... :lol: but i guess you would be the final call on that :icon_smile_big:...i suppose that would explain the tach on the column... :scratchchin:

so not to hijack or anything but what is available for aftermarket steering columns...i kno ididit and flaming river are around but it seems like unless you get one of their "universal" columns your out of luck cuz everything is made for gm...but those of you who hav switched out your columns who did you go with? thanks...again, trying not to hijack...thanks :2thumbs:
Eric "Foreman"

Ryan

69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

Mfr426

Finn

In one of my magazines there was an ad for a new mopar steering column with tilt...
Looked pretty sweet...don't remember who made it though, might have been XV??
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Mike DC

What's the REAL skinny on horn buttons for those Grant old-school wheels? 

Is there a decent way to get a normal-feeling horn button in the center like a stock late-60s factory woodgrain wheel?

(By "normal feeling" I'm asking about the horn switch/button mechanism, not the actual button on top.)

KS71owner

I have the Grant wood wheel in mine too....I'll post a pic once I pull it off my other computer. Looks great, and it matches the faux wood trim in the dash pretty well.

I may have to get that Autobot horn button though.... :2thumbs:

jb666

Quote from: Ryan on August 13, 2008, 10:43:24 AM
XV motorsports makes a nice column

I can vouch for this, I just installed one in my car!!

Sorry about the car being so dirty, we had just finished. GREAT product.

My wheel is a Grant, also.

Purple68

I'm reviving this thread hoping you guys could post some more pics of your aftermarket steering wheels. I just got a new pistol grip shifter from Duncan Engineering and am thinking about a wheel that would somewhat match the shifter. The shifter is stainless with black grips, car is 68 with black interior. Post what you got! Thanks.

Cooperman

I have a British TVR sportscar wheel on mine, made by 'Personal' in Italy. It's leather and 14 inches in diameter. I have a horn push button with it, but I don't like the 'TVR' logo on it. I'll make something else work. I have no problem with 'foreign' parts on it - there's not much 'originality' about my car anyway, as most of it was missing when I imported it in 2008.

I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants!

oldcarnut

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr