News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wheel size & Wilwood brakes?

Started by Mopar2Ya, August 08, 2008, 05:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar2Ya

I have the Wilwood street brakes on all 4, & I need wheels to make my car a roller during resto. I've tried a friends 15" steels & they are either touching or only a hair away, so I my need 16". Does anyone know what wheel I can use that is readily available/inexpensive? Like a factory Ram wheel etc. TIA.  :icon_smile:

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

Mike DC

Might wanna look at old Phords too.  A lot of them have the same 5-on-4.5" bolt pattern as Mopars.

Mopar2Ya

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 09, 2008, 06:59:09 PM
Might wanna look at old Phords too.  A lot of them have the same 5-on-4.5" bolt pattern as Mopars.

Yeah, I was hoping this was a regular thing several guys had done to make a roller w/o ruining there good wheels. Hoping there is a easy to find set, like a particular vehicle I can call a salvage yard & ask for.

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

Charger74

If nothing else, call your local tire dealer and ask to see if the have 16" rims with the correct bolt pattern.  You'd be surprised what you can find.  Plus they can also set some cheap used tires on them for what your wanting to do.

metallicareload99

Quote from: Mopar2Ya on August 10, 2008, 12:03:23 PMYeah, I was hoping this was a regular thing several guys had done to make a roller w/o ruining there good wheels. Hoping there is a easy to find set, like a particular vehicle I can call a salvage yard & ask for.

I would look into wheels for a Ford Ranger, around the 2003 model year or later.  As was previously mentioned they have the same 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern as MoPars and hopefully the will fit.  They should be 16" in diameter also, the spare and the main wheels.  I was going to use one on my Charger for a short distance when I got a flat.

Did you have to go to the "Green" bearings in order to use that rear disc set up?  Do you have any more info on your rear brake set up?
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

Mopar2Ya

Quote from: metallicareload99 on August 12, 2008, 02:05:14 PM
Quote from: Mopar2Ya on August 10, 2008, 12:03:23 PMYeah, I was hoping this was a regular thing several guys had done to make a roller w/o ruining there good wheels. Hoping there is a easy to find set, like a particular vehicle I can call a salvage yard & ask for.

I would look into wheels for a Ford Ranger, around the 2003 model year or later.  As was previously mentioned they have the same 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern as MoPars and hopefully the will fit.  They should be 16" in diameter also, the spare and the main wheels.  I was going to use one on my Charger for a short distance when I got a flat.

Did you have to go to the "Green" bearings in order to use that rear disc set up?  Do you have any more info on your rear brake set up?

Thanks for the info, I'll be looking into Ranger wheels. I will post what I find.
My rear brake setup is a Wilwood & it was put on by DTS. DTS also used a Phord style bear/retainer on the axle housing, they said it was a better design. I don't remember a lot of details/model#'s, it's been 3yrs sense I've touched the car. If you needs specifics, I can get them.

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

GT

That would be what is called the "Big Torino" ends... much better/stronger than the mopar and a better option over the green bearings.  If you are having a custom rear made - go with the big ford ends.   :2thumbs:
1970 Dodge Charger ==> V10
2012 Charger SRT8