News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Advice on how to track down my deceased friends old charger?

Started by HAZZARDJOHN, August 07, 2008, 09:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HAZZARDJOHN

Here is the deal,

I am desperately trying to track down my Buddy's 74 Charger that he had before he passed away. It was his Baby. It was a California car that we drove back to MN in 01 and then in 03 a drunk driver hit the passenger side front after almost killing my friend Art who was driving his car in front of Jake (Art broke his hip and both legs)

The car looked bad, but when we took the fender, hood, bumper and what not off, it was not too bad. The wheels were in there factory position and all it would take is a new core support and a good pull to be back to normal. Well even though Jake loved this car, he had huge medical bills from the accident and used the $8000 the insurance gave him to pay them. He did eventually receive a settlement from the Drunk, but he used that as a down payment on  a house.

The car sat for a couple more years and he eventually traded it to someone he worked with for a winch for his four wheeler and a motor cycle (ticked me off cause I would have paid him for this car). 

Well now that he is gone I can think of nothing better to do than to try and get his car back. Now it will be a side project for me, but I can think of no better tribute than rebuilding his car the way he wanted it.

Here is what I did so far:

I know he traded it to a former co worker (Rumor has it, that it was his boss)

I called his former employer and told them my story, they put transferred me to his supervisors voicemail. I left a message.

I called the Union (He was a union sheet metal worker) and tried to get some way to contact his fellow employees (no luck, but was worth a try)

I had my Dad run the plates, but since it hasn't been registered since '03 it is still in Jakes name. It also has a salvage certificate as a proof of ownership so that the car can not be titles until it is put together and inspected.

I am running out of Ideas but I really want to get this car back. I really don't care what it costs.

Here is the car in question:

After the accident and tear down:

^ Him showing how Strong he is to walk away from the accident, Who knew five years later it would be the opposite story.

I seriously wish he never got into bikes. If he didn't this car would still be in his garage and he would be here with me, probably working on the car.

Thanks and have a great day

~HJ
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't fix your brakes, but don't worry I made your horn louder."

69bronzeT5

I dont have any advice so I wish you the best of luck in the search.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Drache

Is it just me or were those pictures posted before? I remember seeing those pictures posted on this site.... :shruggy:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

General_01

Sounds like you have every possible avenue covered. Hopefully the supervisor at his place of employment will get back to you, because it seems that is the only way to find the car. Good luck with the search. I hope you can find it and make it into the tribute you would like to make to your friend. Let me know if I can help. I live in Blaine, MN.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

HAZZARDJOHN

Quote from: Drache on August 07, 2008, 10:11:29 PM
Is it just me or were those pictures posted before? I remember seeing those pictures posted on this site.... :shruggy:

I posted a thread probably a year or two ago when I was trying to buy the car from him since I was upset that it was sitting for so long. He told me he loved that car and didn't want to sell it. I respected his wishes and then about 6 months ago he called me and told me that he traded it for a Motorcycle and a winch. He was very impulsive guy and didn't even think to consult with me first. Unfortunately he was killed on a motorcycle and in the last year has made a complete switch from a car guy to a motorcycle guy. I have a feeling if This car would have been fixed he would still be alive today.

~HJ
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't fix your brakes, but don't worry I made your horn louder."

Drache

Quote from: HAZZARDJOHN on August 07, 2008, 10:15:19 PM

I posted a thread probably a year or two ago when I was trying to buy the car from him since I was upset that it was sitting for so long. He told me he loved that car and didn't want to sell it. I respected his wishes and then about 6 months ago he called me and told me that he traded it for a Motorcycle and a winch. He was very impulsive guy and didn't even think to consult with me first. Unfortunately he was killed on a motorcycle and in the last year has made a complete switch from a car guy to a motorcycle guy. I have a feeling if This car would have been fixed he would still be alive today.

~HJ

That's right, I remember the thread now. I certainly hope you find the car. The only way I can think of requires the VIN....
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

PocketThunder

There is a 73 or 74 sitting in a farm near my hometown about an hour from here if you need parts after you find it. 

Paul
in Minnetonka
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

HAZZARDJOHN

Quote from: General_01 on August 07, 2008, 10:12:54 PM
Sounds like you have every possible avenue covered. Hopefully the supervisor at his place of employment will get back to you, because it seems that is the only way to find the car. Good luck with the search. I hope you can find it and make it into the tribute you would like to make to your friend. Let me know if I can help. I live in Blaine, MN.

Thanks! BTW, He loved your '71 and his plans for this car was to make it a '74 super bee tribute. I showed him a pic of your car a while back and he was in love with it.

If I get the car back, my plans are to follow his plans as close as I can. They are pretty simple, Bulge hood, hideaway headlights, Older style tailights, buckets and a floor shifter. Also better rims, he really want 17" torque trusts (not necessarily my cup-o-soup, but he was pretty insistent on them)  I Really don't want to build the car I wanted but more the car he wanted.

~HJ

HAZZARDJOHN

Quote from: PocketThunder on August 07, 2008, 10:18:58 PM
There is a 73 or 74 sitting in a farm near my hometown about an hour from here if you need parts after you find it. 

Paul
in Minnetonka

Thanks I appreciate it!

~HJ

General_01

I saw this car at the TDC meet in Jefferson City, MO in 2006. This guy did a Super Bee tribute with his also. Unfortunately, this is the only pic I have of the car. I liked it. :2thumbs:

That put a smile on my face when you said he loved my car. Thanks. :icon_smile_big:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

HAZZARDJOHN

That is too cool!

Something I just thought about, he already put the super bee logo on the door. I completely forgot about it til right now.

~HJ

HAZZARDJOHN

Quote from: Drache on August 07, 2008, 10:18:49 PM
Quote from: HAZZARDJOHN on August 07, 2008, 10:15:19 PM

That's right, I remember the thread now. I certainly hope you find the car. The only way I can think of requires the VIN....

My Dad (a Cop) has the VIN from the registration. I just didn't think it would do any good since it is still in jakes name since it hasn't been registered since '03

~HJ

Drache

Quote from: HAZZARDJOHN on August 07, 2008, 10:41:15 PM
My Dad (a Cop) has the VIN from the registration. I just didn't think it would do any good since it is still in jakes name since it hasn't been registered since '03

~HJ

Yeah I hadnt of thought about that....
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

KMPX2

Best thing you could do is go talk to his old boss in person.

69*F5*SE

HAZZARDJOHN

Success! I found the Charger. I talked with the guy today and he is willing to sell it, only problem is he wants Waaaayyy too much money for it. I really don't think he is ripping me off so much as Jake took this guy for a fortune. Jake traded this Charger for a motorcycle and a 97 Buick Lesabre as well as a four wheeler winch. I just remembered the motorcycle and winch. I will probably end up paying what he wants, but it will take me a while to feel good about it. The guy was a friend of Jakes and even quizzed me before he would even talk to me about the car. We talked for a bit so I really don't think he is trying to take advantage fo the situation, more just trying to get his money back. The only thing he has done to it is remove the seats and carpet.

~HJ

moparsons

moparstuart

glad you found it , Hope you get it back to do a tribute  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

1969chargerrtse

That sucks about the bike accident.  I sold mine to help fund the work on my engine compartment.  Was it his fault or did someone not see him on the bike?  Glad to hear you located it.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

HAZZARDJOHN

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on August 11, 2008, 02:00:32 PM
That sucks about the bike accident.  I sold mine to help fund the work on my engine compartment.  Was it his fault or did someone not see him on the bike?  Glad to hear you located it.

It was his fault. Two Words... Crotch Rocket  :flame:

~HJ

Bandit72

Quote from: HAZZARDJOHN on August 11, 2008, 02:02:19 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on August 11, 2008, 02:00:32 PM

It was his fault. Two Words... Crotch Rocket  :flame:

~HJ

i hate them things...
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

Nacho-RT74

wooops, what a sad story!!! sorry!!

but first you know to need that is a 73 not a 74 :)

GREAT YOU FOUND it!!!

will be a nice memorabilia to your friend
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

tan top

good find HJ  .....   i remember seeing   that picture  of it after it wrecked on the old site :scratchchin:  .. so what you going to do  rebuild it exactly as it was  :scratchchin:   :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

HAZZARDJOHN

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on August 11, 2008, 02:40:32 PM
wooops, what a sad story!!! sorry!!

but first you know to need that is a 73 not a 74 :)

GREAT YOU FOUND it!!!

will be a nice memorabilia to your friend

How is it a '73? It is title and insured as a '74. as well as it was titled in Cali as a '74? This would be news to me. I was with when he bought it.  I am not doubting ya, as I am a first and second gen charger man, but if the paper work is wrong it would be nice to know.

~HJ

PocketThunder

Hey good news John! 

Post up the first few digits of the vin number for the correct year.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."