News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

engine bay painting

Started by chargerman68, August 06, 2008, 06:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

which one would be good

paint it flat black
paint it with spray on bed-liner black
keep it yellow

chargerman68

wondering which one i should do  my new 6.1 hemi should be arriving soon and im pulling out the brand new 440 :slap:
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

keepat

#3 paint it the same color as the car :Twocents:
Pat

chargerman68

G-man

Chevies came out with black engine bay while the body of the car was different (was the cheap way of doing things)

U got a Mopar... paint same colour engine bay as the car. Yellow with chrome looks absolutelly hot - so get to chroming the engine bay!

Brock Samson

:scratchchin:   :shruggy:   :whistling: :ahum: :fart2: :badidea: :shortbus: :haha: :image_294343: :lolexplode:

and not so much as a question mark either...

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: G-man on August 06, 2008, 07:04:44 PM
Chevies came out with black engine bay while the body of the car was different (was the cheap way of doing things)

U got a Mopar... paint same colour engine bay as the car. Yellow with chrome looks absolutely hot - so get to chroming the engine bay!

That's funny, I always thought painting the whole car and engine bay the same color was cheaper than masking off the engine bay and painting it another color?   :shruggy:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Ghoste

Probably depends on the order things were assembled.  In a mass production setting if it were set up to take advantage of it, there could definitely be some cost benefits realized with engine bay and underbody being a single uniform color.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on August 06, 2008, 07:17:28 PM

U got a Mopar... paint same colour engine bay as the car. Yellow with chrome looks absolutely hot - so get to chroming the engine bay!

That's funny, I always thought painting the whole car and engine bay the same color was cheaper than masking off the engine bay and painting it another color?   :shruggy:

Rob, you dont really think GM actually masked off the gine compartment , do you?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

General_01

The engine bay in my Citroen Yellow '71 is black. I just got my stroker back from the builder and before that motor goes in the car, it is getting painted body color. Body color over black any day of the week. I also repainted the engine bay in my GL replica a few years ago. Series correct is black, but I painted it orange anyway and it looked 1,000 times better.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

tan top

if it were mine i would  paint it body color   :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 1hot68 on August 06, 2008, 08:02:16 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on August 06, 2008, 07:17:28 PM

Rob, you don't really think GM actually masked off the engine compartment , do you?
:wave: Hi Brian. Got me, but how do you get two colors next to each other without using some sort of tape?  Do you think one way was done over another for cost, or just a different look?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

The70RT

Why would you consider black???
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

gers1968rt

How can you beat this combo?
I used to own a mopar because it was different, but now I know better.

KMPX2

TUFCAT

If the engine bay is already painted body color,  why would you consider the time and expense of painting it black?  :shruggy:

69chargerboy

My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

PocketThunder

what was the original color of your car?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Kevin68N71

I spray bombed mine flat black 30 years ago as the repaint was flaking off and showing the old color underneath. I was not aware of neat things back then of getting your color in spray cans and at least doing that, as I would have likely tried to at least make it close.

It doesn't look good, but it is not an eyesore either.
Do I have the last, operational Popcar Spacemobile?

1969chargerrtse

chargerman68

PocketThunder

Quote from: chargerman68 on August 07, 2008, 03:10:55 PM
Quote from: PocketThunder on August 07, 2008, 12:05:12 PM
what was the original color of your car?

red

You could paint the engine bay PP1 then in case you ever go back to the original color. :shruggy:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

chargerman68

i just like the blk look its easy to clean up

the main reason is because the guy who did my paint screwed up the pain and there is over spray and some blk and some spot that dont have any paint on anything you can see the primer

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: chargerman68 on August 07, 2008, 03:28:22 PM

the main reason is because the guy who did my paint screwed up the pain and there is over spray and some blk and some spot that dont have any paint on anything you can see the primer

Just a little FYI My Black Charger of course has a black engine compartment.....Let be the first to tell you black engine compartments SUCK to clean!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: 1hot68 on August 07, 2008, 03:57:45 PM
Quote from: chargerman68 on August 07, 2008, 03:28:22 PM

Just a little FYI My Black Charger of course has a black engine compartment.....Let be the first to tell you black engine compartments SUCK to clean!

:violin: ............... :poke: