News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trade 68 R/T for 67 GTX?

Started by dpm68, August 04, 2008, 06:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpm68

Okay, I think I need some advice. I have owned my R/T for about 5 years now and have not accomplished much except a teardown and a few parts acquired here and there. I get blue sometimes and think that it will never get done because of the enormous cash and time commitment that it will take, and my finances are not good enough yet to do much. So I am considering perhaps trading it for a 66-67 Belverere or GTX with no motor/tranny. My Charger needs a lot of work and I would probably keep the (non-matching) 440/727. Its front end is near-perfect, trunk floor is still sound and has no rust issues around the rear window or B-pillar like many. Should I do it? Is this unreal? Should I hold out? I have always had a soft spot for Gtxs...

konigcharger

get the GTX :Twocents:

sorry, maybe i'm the wrong person to ask

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

BrianShaughnessy

I'd love to own the Silver Bullet   :drool5:   or much, much, much, much, much more likely a clone.   

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

69charger2002

man alive am i the only one who likes 66-67 GTX's but thinks they are WORLDS away from a 68 charger as far as coolness and looks? i mean it wouldn't even be a consideration for me
i vote charger hands down. you're just bored with it because you havan't been able to enjoy it..
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

TUFCAT

'67 GTX is a great looking car  :cheers:

hemi68charger

Guess it depends on which one would take the least amount of time to get up and going.. Both cars are very cool.......

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

rt green

i've got a 68 gtx. and a 69 charger rt. the gtx would go brfore the charger would. my opinion
third string oil changer

Kevin68N71

Quote from: dpm68 on August 04, 2008, 06:59:04 PM
Okay, I think I need some advice. I have owned my R/T for about 5 years now and have not accomplished much except a teardown and a few parts acquired here and there. I get blue sometimes and think that it will never get done because of the enormous cash and time commitment that it will take, and my finances are not good enough yet to do much. So I am considering perhaps trading it for a 66-67 Belverere or GTX with no motor/tranny. My Charger needs a lot of work and I would probably keep the (non-matching) 440/727. Its front end is near-perfect, trunk floor is still sound and has no rust issues around the rear window or B-pillar like many. Should I do it? Is this unreal? Should I hold out? I have always had a soft spot for Gtxs...

Well you could be cheesy about it.  Put the engine and drivetrain together, drive the car and enjoy it while you do the bodywork as you go, keep primer on it so it doesn't rust, and DRIVE IT!

Yeah, you'll be the guy with the primer spotted car that old folks gnash their teeth at, but you'll be driving and enjoying it.  Do the paint and interior when you can, put cheap seat covers on it for now.

I know you likely want to drive a real showpiece right away, but just a practical suggestion so you get some joy in the short run.  This is what I did with my AMX.  Unfortunately, I bought it 10 years ago and it STILL needs paint.   ::)  But I have had some real fun with it and have only put in a thousand or two.

Gas tank, brakes, radiator, pumps, lines, tranny, engine, etc. And GO!
Do I have the last, operational Popcar Spacemobile?

moparstuart

plymouths are the best  but sorry 70 plymouths are the best
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

ACUDANUT

IMO the Charger is 10 times better looking than a 67 GTX.  Fixed up or not. :Twocents:

drodg

I have owned two 67 GTX's in the last five years and they were good cars.  If you have to put money in something you are much better off with your 68 Charger. The 67 GTX's and 67 R/T's are pretty soft compared to other mopars.  So that being said if all things are equal the 68 Charger esp if it is an R/T is better as an investment.

jaak

Quote from: Kevin68N71 on August 04, 2008, 09:37:13 PM

Well you could be cheesy about it. Put the engine and drivetrain together, drive the car and enjoy it while you do the bodywork as you go, keep primer on it so it doesn't rust, and DRIVE IT!

Yeah, you'll be the guy with the primer spotted car that old folks gnash their teeth at, but you'll be driving and enjoying it. Do the paint and interior when you can, put cheap seat covers on it for now.

I know you likely want to drive a real showpiece right away, but just a practical suggestion so you get some joy in the short run. This is what I did with my AMX. Unfortunately, I bought it 10 years ago and it STILL needs paint. ::) But I have had some real fun with it and have only put in a thousand or two.

Gas tank, brakes, radiator, pumps, lines, tranny, engine, etc. And GO!

Well said, this is what I have about decided to do with my 69. I have done painted the engine compartment, have about 80% of new interior to put in it and have done rebuilt the engine/trans. I have just about decided to put it back together and enjoy driving it and finishing the body and paint a couple of years down the road.
BTW... a 67 GTX is a cool car, I would love to have one for my next project, I have been really getting into 66-67 B-bodies here lately.

Jason

Drache

I tell this to anyone who starts to doubt their charger because it's not up and moving:

Find someone with a Charger (same year is always the best) and with the biggest engine possible (although same sized as yours is nice) and get them to take you for a ride and maybe drive it a little yourself! You do this and you will stop doubting your project!
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

nakita7

Apples and oranges, keep the Charger...